GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 12:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

     November 14, 2018

     November 14, 2018

     07:00 PM PST

     08:00 PM PST

    Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     November 15, 2018

     November 15, 2018

     10:00 PM MST

     11:00 PM MST

    EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
avatar
V
Joined: 30 Jan 2016
Posts: 788
Location: United States (MA)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Dec 2017, 07:50
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (01:24) correct 18% (01:37) wrong based on 244 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity in the orbit of the planet Neptune was adequately explained by the gravitational pull exerted on Neptune by the planet Pluto. The most recent observations of Pluto, however, indicate that this planet is much too small to exert the amount of gravitational pull on Neptune that astronomers once thought it did.

If the statements above are true, they provide the most support for which one of the following?

(A) Neptune is somewhat larger than scientists once believed it to be.
(B) The orbit on Neptune is considerably more irregular than scientists once thought it was.
(C) There exists another, as yet undiscovered planet with an orbit beyond that of Pluto.
(D) The gravitational pull of Pluto is not the sole cause of Neptune’s irregular orbit.
(E) Further observations of Pluto will eventually show it to be even smaller than it is now thought to be.

Source: LSAT

Kudos :wink:

_________________

Non progredi est regredi


Originally posted by Akela on 11 Jun 2017, 07:21.
Last edited by broall on 14 Dec 2017, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 5
Re: Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 08:45
I disagree with the OA as Pluto turns out not to be any reason for Neptune's irregular orbit since the argument states "planet is much too small to exert the amount of gravitational pull on Neptune that astronomers once thought it did".
And the option d indicates that Pluto's pull is not the sole reason to cause the irregularity, but it is one.
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 14 Nov 2014
Posts: 637
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Re: Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 21:21
Bhuvan.deshwal wrote:
I disagree with the OA as Pluto turns out not to be any reason for Neptune's irregular orbit since the argument states "planet is much too small to exert the amount of gravitational pull on Neptune that astronomers once thought it did".
And the option d indicates that Pluto's pull is not the sole reason to cause the irregularity, but it is one.


Let me try for this:
D.The gravitational pull of Pluto is not the sole
cause of Neptune’s irregular orbit.----it means other than pluto there are some forces that are contributing in the irregular orbit.

Argument says that planet(pluto) is much too small to exert the amount of
gravitational pull on Neptune...it does not say that pluto is not causing any gravitational pull..
Gpull = gravitational pull required for irregular orbit ..
Now GPLU = Gravitational pull by pluto ..a
according to argument,
GPULL > GLPU
to make equal ..
GPULL = unknown forces + GPLU .
What D says ..pluto is not the sole reason ........
VP
VP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1282
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 21:44
Akela wrote:
Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity in the orbit of the planet Neptune was adequately explained by the gravitational pull exerted on Neptune by the planet Pluto. The most recent observations of Pluto, however, indicate that this planet is much too small to exert the amount of gravitational pull on Neptune that astronomers once thought it did.


If the statements above are true, they provide the most support for which one of the following?

(A) Neptune is somewhat larger than scientists once believed it to be. Not mentioned

(B) The orbit on Neptune is considerably more irregular than scientists once thought it was. Not mentioned

(C) There exists another, as yet undiscovered planet with an orbit beyond that of Pluto. Not mentioned

(D) The gravitational pull of Pluto is not the sole cause of Neptune’s irregular orbit.

(E) Further observations of Pluto will eventually show it to be even smaller than it is now thought to be. Not mentioned


It's (D), alternate cause.
_________________

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Senior DS Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 1067
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 03:32
Hi GMATNinja, abhimahna

"The most recent observations of Pluto, however, indicate that this planet is much too small to exert the amount of gravitational pull on Neptune that astronomers once thought it did" -Doesn't this means, that scientist at later stage realized that Pluto is smaller than it is thought to be?


QZ wrote:
Akela wrote:
Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity in the orbit of the planet Neptune was adequately explained by the gravitational pull exerted on Neptune by the planet Pluto. The most recent observations of Pluto, however, indicate that this planet is much too small to exert the amount of gravitational pull on Neptune that astronomers once thought it did.


If the statements above are true, they provide the most support for which one of the following?

(A) Neptune is somewhat larger than scientists once believed it to be. Not mentioned

(B) The orbit on Neptune is considerably more irregular than scientists once thought it was. Not mentioned

(C) There exists another, as yet undiscovered planet with an orbit beyond that of Pluto. Not mentioned

(D) The gravitational pull of Pluto is not the sole cause of Neptune’s irregular orbit.

(E) Further observations of Pluto will eventually show it to be even smaller than it is now thought to be. Not mentioned


It's (D), alternate cause.

_________________

Win GMAT CLUB Test- Weekly Quant Quiz Contest
Weekly Quant Quiz Questions- Direct Download
SC: Confusable words

All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Senior DS Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 1067
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 03:39
I got my mistake. Option E says something about future, So it cannot be inferred from the stimulus, hence it is not right.


gmatbusters wrote:
Hi GMATNinja, abhimahna

"The most recent observations of Pluto, however, indicate that this planet is much too small to exert the amount of gravitational pull on Neptune that astronomers once thought it did" -Doesn't this means, that scientist at later stage realized that Pluto is smaller than it is thought to be?


QZ wrote:
Akela wrote:
Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity in the orbit of the planet Neptune was adequately explained by the gravitational pull exerted on Neptune by the planet Pluto. The most recent observations of Pluto, however, indicate that this planet is much too small to exert the amount of gravitational pull on Neptune that astronomers once thought it did.


If the statements above are true, they provide the most support for which one of the following?

(A) Neptune is somewhat larger than scientists once believed it to be. Not mentioned

(B) The orbit on Neptune is considerably more irregular than scientists once thought it was. Not mentioned

(C) There exists another, as yet undiscovered planet with an orbit beyond that of Pluto. Not mentioned

(D) The gravitational pull of Pluto is not the sole cause of Neptune’s irregular orbit.

(E) Further observations of Pluto will eventually show it to be even smaller than it is now thought to be. Not mentioned


It's (D), alternate cause.

_________________

Win GMAT CLUB Test- Weekly Quant Quiz Contest
Weekly Quant Quiz Questions- Direct Download
SC: Confusable words

All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3613
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 03:51
gmatbusters wrote:
I got my mistake. Option E says something about future, So it cannot be inferred from the stimulus, hence it is not right.


Hey gmatbusters ,

Yes that is correct. You cannot infer about the future based on current information. Moreover, option E is stating a similar fact about the size. As an inference of the current argument, we need to show that there size isn't directly/only impacting the orbit. This is what option D is doing. Hence, D is the correct answer.

I hope that helps :-)
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Senior DS Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 1067
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 04:27
Hi
I don't think we need to strengthen the argument" in this question.
"If the statements above are true, they provide the most support for which one of the following?"
I believe this is a Must be true / inference question.

PS: I am an amateur in CR, So I might be wrong. Please correct my understanding.

abhimahna wrote:
gmatbusters wrote:
I got my mistake. Option E says something about future, So it cannot be inferred from the stimulus, hence it is not right.


Hey gmatbusters ,

Yes that is correct. You cannot infer about the future based on current information. Moreover, option E is stating a similar fact about the size. In order to strengthen the current argument, we need to show that there size isn't directly/only impacting the orbit. This is what option D is doing. Hence, D is the correct answer.

I hope that helps :-)

_________________

Win GMAT CLUB Test- Weekly Quant Quiz Contest
Weekly Quant Quiz Questions- Direct Download
SC: Confusable words

All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3613
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2018, 04:32
gmatbusters wrote:
Hi
I don't think we need to strengthen the argument" in this question.
"If the statements above are true, they provide the most support for which one of the following?"
I believe this is a Must be true / inference question.

PS: I am an amateur in CR, So I might be wrong. Please correct my understanding.



Yes, that is correct. This is an inference question and that was a typo. :-P
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

GMAT Club Bot
Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity &nbs [#permalink] 26 May 2018, 04:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Astronomers have long thought that the irregularity

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.