Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 621 [33]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [39]
Given Kudos: 130
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [16]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [6]
Send PM
Re: Astronomers have theorized that the Big Bang governs the behavior of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Astronomers have theorized that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust, particles that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space

A. persisting [Correct]
B. persists [Wrong for sub-verb agreement ]
C. persisted [atoms still persist]
D. they persist [not parallel with the sentence structure]
E. are persisting [wrong tense]
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [3]
Send PM
Re: Astronomers have theorized that the Big Bang governs the behavior of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. persisting
B. persists --> singular whereas particles is plural
C. persisted --> wrong tense
D. they persist --> inaccurately points to compounded noun 'atoms and molecules'
E. are persisting --> awkward

I will pick A by POE
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. both participals should be paralled. one is past participals and the other one is present participals.

vivek123 wrote:
Astronomers have theorized that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust, particles that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space.

A. persisting
B. persists
C. persisted
D. they persist
E. are persisting
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
The OA for this is "A".

One of the tricky SCs. I suggest all my friends to have a look at these SCs too...

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16199
https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=25669

Well tried everyone. HIMALAYA, it's nice to see you back :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
tarek99 wrote:
Astronomers have theorized that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust, particles that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space.

a) persisting
b) persists
c) persisted
d) they persiste
e) are persisting

Please explain your choice

A. There are two modifying phrases describing the atoms and molecules: created in the progenitive explosion and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space. Parallelism demands that each begin with a participle.

The past participle persisted would be inappropriate, because atoms and molecules is the subject, not the object, of persist. (They were created, but they persist.) The present participle--persisting--is correct when forming a modifier that specifies an action performed by the modified noun.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
fozzzy wrote:

What's wrong with E?

The part after particles is a modifier, then after it we find "and" => a parallelism marker.

a persisting
e are persisting

The ING form of a verb is used as a modifier, whereas "are persisting" is not a modifier but it's a "real" verb, so the setence with A looks like this:
(...), particles that modifier and modifier.

The verb "are persisting" moreover gives us an idea of an on-going action, the particles are persisting (RIGHT NOW) in even the emptiest regions of space.
This is not the intended meaning of the sentence, hope it's clear
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
saikarthikreddy wrote:
(A) persisting
(B) persists
(C) persisted
(D) they persisted
(E) are persisting

GMAT40 wrote:
Hi Mike,
Can you please advise why "are persisting" is wrong.
Regards

Dear GMAT40,
It's very important to understand the grammatical layout of the surrounding material. The words "interstellar dust" is the object of the preposition "of". The sentence could actually end there, and be a simple & complete sentence. Instead, we get an appositive phrase, "particles", which modifies and describes the "interstellar dust".

Then we have a "that" clause, modifying "particles" ---- it's a vital noun modifier, because without the "that" clause, the word "particles" is pretty bland and undescriptive. Every "that" clause must have a full SUBJECT + VERB structure. The pronoun "that" itself is the subject, and comprise is the verb. The nouns "atoms and molecules" constitutes the direct object of comprise.

The nouns "atoms and molecules" is modified by one participial phrase "created in the progenitive explosion", and the question here poses --- what's going on with the "persist" verb and the predicate that follows it?

The "persist" verb must take a form so that it is a second participle phrase parallel to the first. At the level of grammar, if we wanted to introduce more action here, something else doing the "persisting" besides the "atoms and molecules", then it would violate parallelism to have the first participle phrase, then the word "and", and then something that's not a participial phrase. We would need more commas or something else to guide us if we wanted the "persist" phrase to be parallel to something somewhere else in the sentence. At the level of logic, we are describing the origin & ongoing state of these "atoms and molecules" ---- logically, it makes sense for the "persist" phrase to be in parallel to the "created" phrase.

Therefore, for a couple reasons, the second phrase must be a participle phrase in parallel to the first, and demands the participle "persisting", not a full verb, such as "are persisting."

Incidentally, this is not a very well written question. The word "progenitive" is awfully fancy, a bit too fancy for GMAT SC standards. More importantly, the sentence misuses the word "comprise" ---- a diction mistake the GMAT would never make.

I hope all this helps.
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
@mikemcgarry....Thank you for detailed explanation. My doubt here is how did you deduce that "persist" is an action of "atoms and molecules", it could be an action of "Particles"and in that case shouldn't the verb "persist" be parallel to "comprise" and would need a full verb rather than a participle. I chose the answer "are persisting".
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hitesh2489 wrote:
@mikemcgarry....Thank you for detailed explanation. My doubt here is how did you deduce that "persist" is an action of "atoms and molecules", it could be an action of "Particles"and in that case shouldn't the verb "persist" be parallel to "comprise" and would need a full verb rather than a participle. I chose the answer "are persisting".

Dear hitesh2489,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's the beginning of the sentence:
Astronomers have theorized that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust, ...

Now, if the "persist" verb is a participle, parallel to "created", we would have
particles that comprise the atoms and molecules
//created in the progenitive explosion
and
persisting in even the emptiest regions of space.

That is the OA for this question.

If the "persist" verb is a full verb, parallel to the verb "comprise," then the structure would be
particles that
//comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion
and
//persist in even the emptiest regions of space.

First of all, it's not necessary, but it would add to the clarity to add a second "that" --- "that comprise ... that persist."

With the second "that," the parallelism to the verb "comprise" would be very clear. Even without that, it would still be substantially correct to have the verb "persist."

The choice "are persisting" is a brilliant trap answer. From a strict mathematical grammatical perspective, it would be technically correct, but it sounds absolutely awful. I know that this can be a very tricky issue for folks who have learned English as a second language. Any native speaker instantly sees that this is unacceptable. We use the present progressive for an ongoing activity, for an action, someone doing something. The verb "persist" is not really an active verb --- the participle simply continue to exist: they are not "doing" anything. That why, in almost any context, the present progressive form of the verb "persist" would sound awkward and unnatural. The same is true of other "existence" verbs, such as the verb "to be."

Does all this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Send PM
Hi Mike,
I request you to kindly explain why (C) - persisted is incorrect ?

Regards
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Expert Reply
tilkesh wrote:
Hi Mike,

Regards

Dear tilkesh,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Before I can answer your question effectively, I need to understand how you are thinking about this sentence. Tell me your understanding of what you think, or suspect, that (C) is correct. Explain exactly what you understand about the sentence and exactly what you don't understand, and I will be happy to help you.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
tilkesh wrote:
Hi Mike,

Regards

Dear tilkesh,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Before I can answer your question effectively, I need to understand how you are thinking about this sentence. Tell me your understanding of what you think, or suspect, that (C) is correct. Explain exactly what you understand about the sentence and exactly what you don't understand, and I will be happy to help you.

Tilkesh has not responded but I will take this opportunity to respond because I also have same doubt :)

Please help me understand what am I missing here.

1. I think it is purely meaning that whether it should be persisted or persisting (means still persist), I do not see anything wrong grammatically with persisted.
2. While trying to make it parallel, it sounds better with Created And Persisted.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Kudos