GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 21:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2009
Posts: 70
Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Jul 2018, 10:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (00:51) correct 24% (00:49) wrong based on 76 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it provides clues about our galaxy’s origin, that it may supply data about how fast our galaxy is expanding, and moreover it is perhaps the most distant star in the entire Milky Way.

(A) about how fast our galaxy is expanding, and moreover it is perhaps
(B) regarding the speed our galaxy expands at; moreover, they think it may be
(C) about how fast our galaxy expands and perhaps be
(D) on the galaxy’s expansion rate and perhaps
(E) about how fast our galaxy is expanding, and that it is perhaps

Originally posted by WhyabloodyMBA on 10 Jul 2009, 13:01.
Last edited by Bunuel on 26 Jul 2018, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
Added the OA.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 143
Re: Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 13:44
I would go with 'E'

Astronomers say X,Y and Z
3 subclauses

Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it provides clues about our galaxy’s origin, that it may supply data about how fast our galaxy is expanding, and that it is perhaps the most distant star in the entire Milky Way.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2009
Posts: 21
Schools: McMaster
Re: Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2010, 08:08
I have a hard time to understand this structure: about + clause. I thought a clause can not follow the word "about".

Can anyone help to elaborate this grammar? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 71
Re: Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2010, 08:44
3
Jasonlu1981 wrote:
I have a hard time to understand this structure: about + clause. I thought a clause can not follow the word "about".

Can anyone help to elaborate this grammar? Thanks.

You're right. Here in E we don't have clauses that begin with "about": Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it provides clues about our galaxy’s origin, that it may supply data about how fast our galaxy is expanding, and that it is perhaps the most distant star in the entire Milky Way.
We have subject (asrtonomers), verb (say) and 3 clauses that begin wit "that".
"About" here is an object of "clues" in the first that-clause and "data" in the second that-clause.
Answer E maintains a good parallel structure.

Hope it's clear... :)

Quote:
Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it provides clues about our galaxy’s origin, that it may supply data about how fast our galaxy is expanding, and moreover it is perhaps the most distant star in the entire Milky Way.

(A) about how fast our galaxy is expanding, and moreover it is perhaps
(B) regarding the speed our galaxy expands at; moreover, they think it may be
(C) about how fast our galaxy expands and perhaps be
(D) on the galaxy’s expansion rate and perhaps
(E) about how fast our galaxy is expanding, and that it is perhaps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2009
Posts: 383
Re: Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2010, 10:31
i believe the correct idiom can be both "supply data about" and "supply data on"... so either about or on can be correct... "supply data regarding" sounds a bit weird, but lets hold off on any splitting technique for now...

also noticed that the first two series of the list starts with "that"... so it must be true that the answer choice has to contain another "that" clause... obviously this would be E...
_________________

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 May 2009
Posts: 181
Re: Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2010, 19:49
IMO E ..... even i feel it correct due to the parallel structure maintained by 'that'

Igor010 wrote:
Jasonlu1981 wrote:
I have a hard time to understand this structure: about + clause. I thought a clause can not follow the word "about".

Can anyone help to elaborate this grammar? Thanks.

You're right. Here in E we don't have clauses that begin with "about": Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it provides clues about our galaxy’s origin, that it may supply data about how fast our galaxy is expanding, and that it is perhaps the most distant star in the entire Milky Way.
We have subject (asrtonomers), verb (say) and 3 clauses that begin wit "that".
"About" here is an object of "clues" in the first that-clause and "data" in the second that-clause.
Answer E maintains a good parallel structure.

Hope it's clear... :)

Quote:
Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it provides clues about our galaxy’s origin, that it may supply data about how fast our galaxy is expanding, and moreover it is perhaps the most distant star in the entire Milky Way.

(A) about how fast our galaxy is expanding, and moreover it is perhaps
(B) regarding the speed our galaxy expands at; moreover, they think it may be
(C) about how fast our galaxy expands and perhaps be
(D) on the galaxy’s expansion rate and perhaps
(E) about how fast our galaxy is expanding, and that it is perhaps

_________________

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2013
Posts: 73
Re: Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2014, 09:37
I got the correct answer ,but i would like to know the precise reason as to why B is wrong
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1219
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2018, 10:21
adymehta29 wrote:
I got the correct answer ,but i would like to know the precise reason as to why B is wrong

B violates parallelism. Pronoun it is ambiguous in " they think it may be"
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Re: Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it &nbs [#permalink] 26 Jul 2018, 10:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Astronomers studying the newly discovered star say that it

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.