It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 13:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1853

Kudos [?]: 2627 [0], given: 193

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2014, 02:37
shivdeepmodi wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
gmatpapa wrote:
At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired during their shifts. At the same time, 70% of the interns who receive 6 or more hours of sleep report no feelings of tiredness. If 80% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep, what percent of the interns report no feelings of tiredness during their shifts?

A. 6
B. 14
C. 19
D. 20
E. 81
Given:



< 6 hours sleep>= 6 hours sleepTOTAL
Tired75--
Not Tired-0.7*X?
TOTAL80X100


Interns who receive < than 6 hours sleep and Not Tired = 80 - 75 = 5;


TOTAL interns who receive >= 6 hours sleep = 100 - 80 = 20, so interns who receive >= 6 hours sleep and are Not Tired = 0.7 * 20 =14;

Interns who are Not Tired = 5 + 14 = 19.

Answer: C.


Guys,
As per the solution : interns with LT6 hours of sleep and tired = 75% of total interns(75 assuming a smart number)
However I calculated it as : 0.75x0.80N. i.e. 75% of 80% of internswith LT6 hours of sleep.(which is obviously wrong).
I am not going very far with such mistakes. :(
Next comes a sillier question: how to avoid such mistakes. :( :???
Regards,
shivdeep


Needless to say, Bunuel's method is perfect :)

There is no need to calculate 75% of 80%

As the answer is expected in percentage, better take the Total interns = 100 so that the %age factor gets computed along
_________________

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Kudos [?]: 2627 [0], given: 193

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2014
Posts: 69

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 58

Location: United States
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2015, 10:42
How this queston can be done with venn diagram. Can anyone suggest. I have tried the following combinations for the circles:

a. Tired one circle & Few than 6 hrs another circle.

Here How do I represent the balance more or equal to 6 hrs ( by another circle??)

2. Non tired one & more than 6 hrs another circle.

Still not gettign there.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 58

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 04 Jan 2015
Posts: 746

Kudos [?]: 2089 [1], given: 123

Re: At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 22:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ankushbagwale wrote:
How this queston can be done with venn diagram. Can anyone suggest. I have tried the following combinations for the circles:

a. Tired one circle & Few than 6 hrs another circle.

Here How do I represent the balance more or equal to 6 hrs ( by another circle??)

2. Non tired one & more than 6 hrs another circle.

Still not gettign there.


Hi ankushbagwale,

Presenting the Venn diagram approach for the question. Please refer the diagram below:

Given
Number of interns who receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired = \(b\) = 75% of total interns.

Number of interns who receive 6 or more hours of sleep and report no feeling of tiredness = \(d\) = 70% of interns who receive more than 6 hours of sleep

Number of interns who receive less than 6 hours of sleep = \(a + b = 80\)% of total interns

Image


We are asked to find the percent of interns who report no feeling of tiredness.

Number of interns who report no feeling of tiredness = \(a + d\).

Hence we need to find \(\frac{a +d}{a + b + c+ d}\).

Approach
As we are not given any info about the number of interns, to find the ratio of of interns who report no feeling of tiredness to the total interns we need to express them in the same terms. With this understanding let's proceed to the working out.

Working Out
Let's assume the total number of interns to be \(x\). i.e. \(a + b + c + d = x\)

\(b = 75\)% of total interns \(= 0.75x\)

\(a + b = 80\)% of total interns \(= 0.8x\) which would give us \(a = 0.05x\)

It also tells us that \(c + d = 0.2x\).

\(d = 70\)% of interns who receive more than 6 hours of sleep

Interns who received more than 6 hours of sleep \(= c +d\)

So, we can write \(d = 70\)% of \((c + d) = 70\)% of \(0.2x = 0.14x\)

Hence \(a + d = 0.05x + 0.14x = 0.19x\)

So \(\frac{a +d}{a + b + c+ d} = \frac{0.19x}{x} = 19\)%

Answer: Option C

Hope it's clear :)

Regards
Harsh
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 2089 [1], given: 123

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2014
Posts: 69

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 58

Location: United States
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 10:49
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
ankushbagwale wrote:
How this queston can be done with venn diagram. Can anyone suggest. I have tried the following combinations for the circles:

a. Tired one circle & Few than 6 hrs another circle.

Here How do I represent the balance more or equal to 6 hrs ( by another circle??)

2. Non tired one & more than 6 hrs another circle.

Still not gettign there.


Hi ankushbagwale,

Presenting the Venn diagram approach for the question. Please refer the diagram below:

Given
Number of interns who receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired = \(b\) = 75% of total interns.

Number of interns who receive 6 or more hours of sleep and report no feeling of tiredness = \(d\) = 70% of interns who receive more than 6 hours of sleep

Number of interns who receive less than 6 hours of sleep = \(a + b = 80\)% of total interns

Image


We are asked to find the percent of interns who report no feeling of tiredness.

Number of interns who report no feeling of tiredness = \(a + d\).

Hence we need to find \(\frac{a +d}{a + b + c+ d}\).

Approach
As we are not given any info about the number of interns, to find the ratio of of interns who report no feeling of tiredness to the total interns we need to express them in the same terms. With this understanding let's proceed to the working out.

Working Out
Let's assume the total number of interns to be \(x\). i.e. \(a + b + c + d = x\)

\(b = 75\)% of total interns \(= 0.75x\)

\(a + b = 80\)% of total interns \(= 0.8x\) which would give us \(a = 0.05x\)

It also tells us that \(c + d = 0.2x\).

\(d = 70\)% of interns who receive more than 6 hours of sleep

Interns who received more than 6 hours of sleep \(= c +d\)

So, we can write \(d = 70\)% of \((c + d) = 70\)% of \(0.2x = 0.14x\)

Hence \(a + d = 0.05x + 0.14x = 0.19x\)

So \(\frac{a +d}{a + b + c+ d} = \frac{0.19x}{x} = 19\)%

Answer: Option C

Hope it's clear :)

Regards
Harsh



Thanks Harsh for your prompt response. You have demonstrated how venn diagram can be utilized effectively. Although I could grasp your approach, I wonder how you came up with > 6 hrs of sleep & not tired being shown by the empty spaces.

However, I have tried to to visualize in the following way. can you pl. comment on the same? I would like to move from this three circle format to two. Any suggestions.

Also, the double matrix method seems quite neat & crystal clear.
Attachments

tp.PNG
tp.PNG [ 20.36 KiB | Viewed 731 times ]

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 58

Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 784

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 164

Re: At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 18:24
gmatpapa wrote:
At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep and report feeling tired during their shifts. At the same time, 70% of the interns who receive 6 or more hours of sleep report no feelings of tiredness. If 80% of the interns receive fewer than 6 hours of sleep, what percent of the interns report no feelings of tiredness during their shifts?

A. 6
B. 14
C. 19
D. 20
E. 81



100 interns

20(.7)= 14

80 fewer 6 hours ----75 fewer 6 sleepy, 5 fewer 6 not sleepy
20 more 6 hours-----6 more 6 sleepy, 14 more 6 not sleepy

14 + 5= 19

c

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 164

Re: At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2017, 18:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

At a certain hospital, 75% of the interns receive fewer than

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.