GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 02:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

At a certain investment bank that specializes in mergers and acquisiti

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
At a certain investment bank that specializes in mergers and acquisiti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Dec 2018, 12:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

86% (01:10) correct 14% (01:03) wrong based on 76 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

At a certain investment bank that specializes in mergers and acquisitions, the highest percentage of potential deals that are never completed are those in which the bank's senior partner was the lead negotiator. Each of the senior partner's colleagues, however, states unequivocally that she is the most adept negotiator at the bank.

Which one of the following, if true, goes furthest toward showing that these two statements could both be correct?

A. The current senior partner has a better record of success than her immediate predecessor did.

B. Many of the junior partners were trained by the senior partner when they first joined the firm.

C. The senior partner works only on potential deals that have the least chance of coming to fruition.

D. The number of mergers in which the investment bank has been involved has declined slightly in each of the past three years.

E. The senior partner was chosen by the board of directors of the bank's parent company, a large publishing conglomerate.

Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

Originally posted by SajjadAhmad on 30 Nov 2018, 10:12.
Last edited by SajjadAhmad on 02 Dec 2018, 12:16, edited 11 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: At a certain investment bank that specializes in mergers and acquisiti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 23:00
A. The current senior partner has a better record of success than her immediate predecessor did.- Really doesn't make sense. Not in line.

B. Many of the junior partners were trained by the senior partner when they first joined the firm. - how does it matter ?

C. The senior partner works only on potential deals that have the least chance of coming to fruition.- this is exactly the kind of thing we are looking for. The senior leadership works on tough projects. Looks good. Hold.

D. The number of mergers in which the investment bank has been involved has declined slightly in each of the past three years.- this is so discouraging. Doesn't really talk about the senior.

E. The senior partner was chosen by the board of directors of the bank's parent company, a large publishing conglomerate. - still that doesn't mean she is adept or people say she is. It doesn't show her ability as an adept professional.

I believe C is the only option which holds the truth of both parts of the argument.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Re: At a certain investment bank that specializes in mergers and acquisiti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 23:15
A. The current senior partner has a better record of success than her immediate predecessor did. IRRELEVANT

B. Many of the junior partners were trained by the senior partner when they first joined the firm. IRRELEVANT

C. The senior partner works only on potential deals that have the least chance of coming to fruition. IMO CORRECT as it shows reason why most of the deals cannot be close because they are tough

D. The number of mergers in which the investment bank has been involved has declined slightly in each of the past three years. Out of Scope

E. The senior partner was chosen by the board of directors of the bank's parent company, a large publishing conglomerate.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 10:15
We need an answer which can satisfy the two seemingly opposite claims.

Eliminated B, D, E as Out of Scope.

Between A and C.
C looks promising but address only one half of the claims ( i.e. Senior partners have lower success rates)
A has a flaw that it talks about only one senior partner.
So best option is C
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 00:20
Was getting confused bett A and C, Question states about multiple Senior Partner where as A states about only 1 SP hence think C is the most suitable answer here.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere :-)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: At a certain investment bank that specializes in mergers and acquisiti &nbs [#permalink] 02 Dec 2018, 00:20

At a certain investment bank that specializes in mergers and acquisiti

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap