GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 16:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

At a recent session, the French government has decided that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
At a recent session, the French government has decided that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Jan 2018, 19:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (00:43) correct 31% (00:41) wrong based on 137 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

At a recent session, the French government has decided that Paris needs a second, larger opera house to complement the famous Paris Opera.

(A) has decided that Paris needs
(B) decided that Paris needs
(C) has decided that Paris will need
(D) decided that Paris has a need of
(E) has decided that Paris needed

Originally posted by anonymousvn on 28 Jun 2009, 11:53.
Last edited by bb on 09 Jan 2018, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
Manager
Manager
Schools: AGSM '16
Re: At a recent session, the French government has decided that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2009, 12:42
The answer is B because the word "has" doesn't have a place in the underlined part of the sentence since the author speaks of a past incident, "in a recent session".
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2009, 13:17
I think that both verbs "decide and need" should be in the same tense. Why in B, need is in the present? Please explain on this problem. I chosen B first, but later I chosen A for this reason.

OA is B
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2010, 19:39
Present Perfect:

Action Started.............continue.....................Present.

=> Means an action started in the past and continued to present. There will be an on going operation or action.

In the recent session, a decision was taken. There is no ongoing action here. Some took the decision. Then what? anything else up to present? No. Means there is no ongoing action. So, we need to use past simple tense.

Hope that helps.

Never, never, never GIVE UP.

BSchool Thread Master

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2010, 18:21
anonymousvn wrote:
I think that both verbs "decide and need" should be in the same tense. Why in B, need is in the present? Please explain on this problem. I chosen B first, but later I chosen A for this reason.

OA is B

"Decide" should be in the past because of "recent session". The government "decided", or took a decision.
Why "need" in simple present? Because the government can take a decision, but can't change the need, at least right away. Is the need already satisfied? The sentence doesn't say that the theater is already built, so the need is still there. Did the population of Paris change their habits and don't need anymore to go to the theater? It's out of the sentence. So, unless we have evidence of any changes (the need is still there), we should use simple present.
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2010, 07:33
Hey cano, your explanation is good.... and I had narrowed the choices to B and D.

But I chose (D) because I thought that people's need still continues to exist and hence the sentence should say 'Paris has a need of'......why we shoud choose (B) over (D).......please let me know if I need a thought readjustment here.

At a recent session, the French government has decided that Paris needs a second, larger opera house to complement the famous Paris Opera.

BSchool Thread Master

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2010, 07:51
seekmba wrote:
Hey cano, your explanation is good.... and I had narrowed the choices to B and D.

But I chose (D) because I thought that people's need still continues to exist and hence the sentence should say 'Paris has a need of'......why we shoud choose (B) over (D).......please let me know if I need a thought readjustment here.

Hi seekmba,

I'm not a SC expert, nor grammar expert, just started to study for GMAT recently. Besides, English is not my first language, so any advice I give you take it as is...

Reading MGMAT SC materials, I learned that if you have 2 options with the same meaning, but one has less words, then choose the shorter option because it will have a clearer meaning. Here, the option B uses only "needs" whereas option D uses "has a need of". I'm not sure whether "has a need of" is completely incorrect or wordy/awkward, but as a general rule (following the materials) the shorter answer is the better one. Here 1 word against 4.

That's all I can say. Following the advice from MGMAT has helped me to at least choose correct answers in practical exams. I'm not saying that I became an expert in English grammar, but if at least I can do better in the GMAT, good to do so.
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: At a recent session, the French government  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2012, 02:18
monir6000 wrote:

B
There is a clear time point "at a recent session" - past simple. + Paris needs, because other phrases are wordy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2012, 06:21
why "Has Decided" options cancelled out vs. "Decided"?
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2012, 06:31
aalba005 wrote:

See my explanation above.

Here is the exact time given "At a recent session", so we should use past simple. The decision was made on the certain date. The decision process does not continue at this moment.
It is like saying "On Monday, the French government decided ..."
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2012, 07:41
B.
e.g. Ministers decided that candidate is best among other candidates

present tense is required because the current situation of a past event and we have conveyed the past time using the past tense (decided)

One more example, e.g. Umpire decided that player A is faulty
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V700

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2012, 14:47
aalba005 wrote:

hi aalba005, there is another catch to the qn as well. There is need vs needs/needed. French govt is singular and hence should be 'needs'.

that leaves only A and B or has decided vs decided.

'has decided' is present perfect tense (has/have+past participle) which means that the action is still on in the present. for e.g., he has lived in italy for 3 years now (means he has lived and still residing in italy)

since the session has already happened in the past, and the action completed (decided), the correct tense would be decided.

thats how i got 'B'
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2012, 19:59
tsheshraj wrote:
aalba005 wrote:

hi aalba005, there is another catch to the qn as well. There is need vs needs/needed. French govt is singular and hence should be 'needs'.

that leaves only A and B or has decided vs decided.

'has decided' is present perfect tense (has/have+past participle) which means that the action is still on in the present. for e.g., he has lived in italy for 3 years now (means he has lived and still residing in italy)

since the session has already happened in the past, and the action completed (decided), the correct tense would be decided.

thats how i got 'B'

This is partially correct because present perfect can be used to describe an event that started in past and whose effect is present till now. I have lived in Italy does not necessarily mean that i am living there at present.

Decided is use because we are talking about a specific event in past.
Whenever we want to quote a specific time we use Simple past and whenever we want to quote a time that started in past and continue up to present we will use present perfect (See below post for more uses of Present perfect)
e.g. Yesterday, I ate at Burger King (Simple past)
In the last week, i have eaten twice at burger king (present perfect)
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2012, 20:00
When to use Present Perfect and Simple Past

Simple past is used whenever we want to highlight a specific instance of time in past.
e.g. yesterday, I played for 2 hours
I took my GMAT on 30th April

Present Perfect is used whenever
a) we want to specify an instance that happened in past but we don't know when it happened.
e.g. I have been to London

b) we want to specify an instance that took place in past and is true till present
e.g. I have loved her since we married
"For - to specify a period of time" and "Since - to specify a specific time" time indicators are used here

c) we want to specify an instance that took place in past, is finished but whose effect is present till now
e.g. I have cleaned my room
In the last week, i have eaten twice at burger king (present perfect)
Last week, i ate 2 times at burger king (simple past)
Notice the difference b/w In the last week & last week in 2nd and 3rd sentences above
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 18:33
noboru wrote:
I dont see whats wrong with A. OK, it is about a past action, but it has a current effect: present perfect is OK.

Some light?

The word 'has' is unnecessary at this place.

Even though the tense is present perfect, it makes the sentence too wordy. If the sentence was,
The French government has decided in a recent session...
then the presence of 'has' makes complete sense. However, it is completely logical and sounds right as mentioned in option B.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: At a recent session, the French government has decided that &nbs [#permalink] 09 Jan 2018, 18:33

At a recent session, the French government has decided that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap