Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 29 May 2017, 06:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Final Countdown
Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 541
Location: India
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 303 [0], given: 75

At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2012, 05:41
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (02:51) correct 46% (01:31) wrong based on 303 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be hoisted up between floors of her palace, the Whigs had seized upon their best gambit in the war between the parties and, hovering nervously, Defoe was between upholding the ministry's commitment to the Protestant succession and his own sense of how vital such a commitment must be.
(A) their best gambit in the war between the parties and, hovering nervously, Defoe was between
(B) its best gambit in the war between the parties, and nervously, Defoe hovered either
(C) their best gambit in the war between the parties and Defoe, nervously, hovered between
(D) its best gambit in the war between the parties and Defoe hovered nervously on
(E) their best gambit in the war between the parties, and Defoe hovered nervously between

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
Answer: E
There's a lot going on in this sentence. First, recognize that the pronoun "their" in the beginning of the underlined passage is correct, as it refers to the plural noun "the Whigs." That eliminates (B) and (D).

Next, zero in on the comma. In the underlined passage, you should be able to read around the phrase "hovering nervously," meaning there is no comma separating the clauses "the Whigs had seized upon..." and "Defoe was between upholding...." Since the latter is a complete sentence, a comma should be present. Not only does this eliminate (A), it also knocks out (C) and (D). While both (C) contains commas around the word "nervously," they serve the same purpose as the commas around "hovering nervously" in (A). Choice (E) is the only one remaining, and it is correct.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Location: Sydney
Schools: Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, IMD,Sloan,IE, Kellogg, LBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be hois [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2012, 06:24
E is the right answer.

Simply take out A, B, D, because they are incoherent and wordy. E has two complete sentences; therefore, a comma before "and".

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 3860
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 823

Kudos [?]: 6341 [1] , given: 324

Re: At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be hois [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2012, 07:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
Whigs is plural; Hence we need their; B D are gone; B and D also use unidiomatic either and on after hovered.

Among A,C and E

A uses was hovering when a simple past tense would do; not a concise choice. The comma after and is incorrect; it should be before and.

C there is no comma before and; there is no need for commas before and after nervously

E, is the best choice
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: 1,750 Q's attempted and counting
Affiliations: University of Florida
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 512
Location: United States (FL)
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 828 [0], given: 630

Re: At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2013, 08:38
This appears to be a GMAT Hack question of the day. The official explanation from the website is as follows:

Answer: E There's a lot going on in this sentence. First, recognize that the pronoun "their" in the beginning of the underlined passage is correct, as it refers to the plural noun "the Whigs." That eliminates (B) and (D). Next, zero in on the comma. In the underlined passage, you should be able to read around the phrase "hovering nervously," meaning there is no comma separating the clauses "the Whigs had seized upon..." and "Defoe was between upholding...." Since the latter is a complete sentence, a comma should be present. Not only does this eliminate (A), it also knocks out (C) and (D). While both (C) contains commas around the word "nervously," they serve the same purpose as the commas around "hovering nervously" in (A). Choice (E) is the only one remaining, and it is correct.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10303
Followers: 1001

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 05:16
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1394
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 862

Re: At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2016, 06:05
thevenus wrote:
At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be hoisted up between floors of her palace, the Whigs had seized upon their best gambit in the war between the parties and, hovering nervously, Defoe was between upholding the ministry's commitment to the Protestant succession and his own sense of how vital such a commitment must be.
(A) their best gambit in the war between the parties and, hovering nervously, Defoe was between
(B) its best gambit in the war between the parties, and nervously, Defoe hovered either
(C) their best gambit in the war between the parties and Defoe, nervously, hovered between
(D) its best gambit in the war between the parties and Defoe hovered nervously on
(E) their best gambit in the war between the parties, and Defoe hovered nervously between

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
Answer: E
There's a lot going on in this sentence. First, recognize that the pronoun "their" in the beginning of the underlined passage is correct, as it refers to the plural noun "the Whigs." That eliminates (B) and (D).

Next, zero in on the comma. In the underlined passage, you should be able to read around the phrase "hovering nervously," meaning there is no comma separating the clauses "the Whigs had seized upon..." and "Defoe was between upholding...." Since the latter is a complete sentence, a comma should be present. Not only does this eliminate (A), it also knocks out (C) and (D). While both (C) contains commas around the word "nervously," they serve the same purpose as the commas around "hovering nervously" in (A). Choice (E) is the only one remaining, and it is correct.


i dont understand, pls help
in e, between upholding and his own sense
between a and b exist
so a and b must be parallel logically

pls tell me the comparative here. thanks
_________________

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3045
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 517

Kudos [?]: 2286 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2016, 17:59
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
thangvietnam wrote:
thevenus wrote:
At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be hoisted up between floors of her palace, the Whigs had seized upon their best gambit in the war between the parties and, hovering nervously, Defoe was between upholding the ministry's commitment to the Protestant succession and his own sense of how vital such a commitment must be.
(A) their best gambit in the war between the parties and, hovering nervously, Defoe was between
(B) its best gambit in the war between the parties, and nervously, Defoe hovered either
(C) their best gambit in the war between the parties and Defoe, nervously, hovered between
(D) its best gambit in the war between the parties and Defoe hovered nervously on
(E) their best gambit in the war between the parties, and Defoe hovered nervously between

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
Answer: E
There's a lot going on in this sentence. First, recognize that the pronoun "their" in the beginning of the underlined passage is correct, as it refers to the plural noun "the Whigs." That eliminates (B) and (D).

Next, zero in on the comma. In the underlined passage, you should be able to read around the phrase "hovering nervously," meaning there is no comma separating the clauses "the Whigs had seized upon..." and "Defoe was between upholding...." Since the latter is a complete sentence, a comma should be present. Not only does this eliminate (A), it also knocks out (C) and (D). While both (C) contains commas around the word "nervously," they serve the same purpose as the commas around "hovering nervously" in (A). Choice (E) is the only one remaining, and it is correct.


i dont understand, pls help
in e, between upholding and his own sense
between a and b exist
so a and b must be parallel logically

pls tell me the comparative here. thanks


Please note the following 4 categories:
1. Simple gerunds
2. Complex gerunds
3. Action nouns
4. Concrete nouns

The strict rules are as follows:
1. Simple gerunds and complex gerunds cannot be parallel.
2. Only complex gerunds can be parallel to action nouns.

However there is no strict rule that simple gerund cannot be parallel to concrete nouns.

Hence simple gerund "upholding" and concrete noun "sense" used as parallel elements in "between X and Y " is NOT incorrect.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 119

Re: At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 06:02
avohden wrote:
This appears to be a GMAT Hack question of the day. The official explanation from the website is as follows:

Answer: E There's a lot going on in this sentence. First, recognize that the pronoun "their" in the beginning of the underlined passage is correct, as it refers to the plural noun "the Whigs." That eliminates (B) and (D). Next, zero in on the comma. In the underlined passage, you should be able to read around the phrase "hovering nervously," meaning there is no comma separating the clauses "the Whigs had seized upon..." and "Defoe was between upholding...." Since the latter is a complete sentence, a comma should be present. Not only does this eliminate (A), it also knocks out (C) and (D). While both (C) contains commas around the word "nervously," they serve the same purpose as the commas around "hovering nervously" in (A). Choice (E) is the only one remaining, and it is correct.


such questions don't come GMAT. this tests a good share of vocab.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 363
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 34

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 06:23
daagh wrote:
Whigs is plural; Hence we need their; B D are gone; B and D also use unidiomatic either and on after hovered.

Among A,C and E

A uses was hovering when a simple past tense would do; not a concise choice. The comma after and is incorrect; it should be before and.

C there is no comma before and; there is no need for commas before and after nervously

E, is the best choice

Hi sir,
Can you please explain the concept that why ',' is required before and. thank you in advance.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 207
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 94

Re: At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 21:28
At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be hoisted up between floors of her palace, the Whigs had seized upon their best gambit in the war between the parties and, hovering nervously, Defoe was between upholding the ministry's commitment to the Protestant succession and his own sense of how vital such a commitment must be.

(A) their best gambit in the war between the parties and, hovering nervously, Defoe was between

(B) its best gambit in the war between the parties, and nervously, Defoe hovered either

(C) their best gambit in the war between the parties and Defoe, nervously, hovered between

(D) its best gambit in the war between the parties and Defoe hovered nervously on

(E) their best gambit in the war between the parties, and Defoe hovered nervously between
_________________

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 207
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 94

Re: At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 21:31
Nightmare007 wrote:
daagh wrote:
Whigs is plural; Hence we need their; B D are gone; B and D also use unidiomatic either and on after hovered.

Among A,C and E

A uses was hovering when a simple past tense would do; not a concise choice. The comma after and is incorrect; it should be before and.

C there is no comma before and; there is no need for commas before and after nervously

E, is the best choice

Hi sir,
Can you please explain the concept that why ',' is required before and. thank you in advance.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Because we are NOT joining two elements in a clause, BUT two clause (complete sentences) here!
_________________

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Re: At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be   [#permalink] 11 May 2017, 21:31
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 The gymnastic team had put so much time into practice it was papahiroshi 5 12 Mar 2017, 06:05
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic In a period of time when women typically have had a narrow jitgoel 8 01 Nov 2016, 21:41
A need HAD because she was ill before she was discharged.. dchow23 5 06 Apr 2013, 00:33
1 In a period of time when women typically have had a narrow pzazz12 7 09 Aug 2016, 00:41
15 Experts publish their posts in the topic In a period of time when women typically have had a narrow snipertrader 13 15 Oct 2016, 23:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

At a time when Queen Anne was so ill that she had to be

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.