Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1013 [96]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [58]
Given Kudos: 130
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Re: At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a visa, a land [#permalink]
Kudos
B & C are out because of 'being'; E uses plural

D is my answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [4]
Send PM
Re: At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a visa, a land [#permalink]
Kudos
D is my choice.

A. a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever would be needed by each of them
- Need needed of instead of needed by
B. they would need a visa, a landing visa, and evidence of their being inoculated against typhoid fever
- no need of their being... just being would work..
C. they would need evidence of being inoculated against typhoid fever and a visa and landing card
- no parallelism at all.. multiple and's
D. they would each need a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever
- Perfect, no problem. They would each need 3 things...
E. they would need visas, landing cards, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever for each of them.
- plurals mixed with singular, for each of them...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
D it is.

A is out. "Each of them" is unnecessary.
B is out. "their being innoculated" is grammatically incorrect
C is out. The list of items lacks parallelism
E is out. "Each of them" is unnecessary.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Send PM
A is out. Bad sentence phrasing.
B is out. 'their being innoculated' is bad English
C is awkward as well
D is the best. 'each need a.....'
E suggests they need many visa/landing cards which is absurd.

D for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
IMO, D is the correct answer.

They would each need 3 items.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
D. they would each need a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever

they would each need a x,a y,and z: a visa(noun phrase) , a landing card(noun phrase) and evidence(noun) are parallel in structure.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 584 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
one more vote for D.

I consider E wrong because 'for each of them' is redundant.

For each of them also says that each of travelers need multiple visas and landing cards.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship,PE,VC
Schools:Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
 Q42  V10
Send PM
+1 for D
"being" is almost always wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I got the right answer which is D but I don't quite understand why A and E are wrong.
Please help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
Hi mike,
I have a query.
As the sentence initially uses passive voice(were told),we still would try to work on active voice for rest of sentence?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Sat: V
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-22-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Mike,

I also ruled out option E but that was because of the usage of plurals - visas , landing cards whereas this is clearly not used in any other option.

is this correct?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
up4gmat wrote:
Hi mike,
I have a query.
As the sentence initially uses passive voice(were told),we still would try to work on active voice for rest of sentence?

Dear up4gmat,
There's no rule that one has to be "passive-consistent" throughout a sentence. In general, switching from active to passive makes the sentence shorter, more direct, and more powerful. We can't do anything about the part before the underlining ---- might we be able to write an even better sentence if we were able to rewrite that part as well? Perhaps, but that's never our concern on SC. On GMAT SC, we are trying to make the underlined part as good as it can be, given the five choices. Given that we get some say about this underlined part, we would opt for active over passive, all other things being equal.
If there were a single subject, and two verbs in parallel, obviously if the first verb were passive, then the second would have to passive. Here, though, we have a completely different subject & verb inside the "that" clause, and that's where the underlined is. Make it active. Does all this make sense?
mal208213 wrote:
Hi Mike,
I also ruled out option E but that was because of the usage of plurals - visas , landing cards whereas this is clearly not used in any other option. Is this correct?

Dear mal208213,
No, that's not correct. Just because one answer differs from the other four doesn't automatically mean that it's wrong. The GMAT loves to pepper the answer choices with different versions of grammatically correct ways to say the same thing, because they know GMAT test takers will treat these as "splits" and eliminate things that shouldn't be eliminated.
In this sentence, we could say:
... they would each need a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever.
or
... they would need visas, landing cards, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever for each of them.
Two perfectly valid ways to say the same thing. The word "each" is a magical word that renders a plural group singular, treating the group one member at a time, so that it justifies a singular verb and singular objects.
My seven friends all have new cars.
Each of my seven friends has a new car.
Again, two completely valid ways to say the same thing, even though one has a plural subject, plural verb, and plural object, and the other has a singular subject, singular verb, and singular object.
One of the biggest traps on the GMAT SC is falling for --- if these answers are different for those answer, one must be right, and one must be wrong. Difference, by itself, does not constitute a valid split. Be very careful with this.
Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Sachin9 wrote:
I got the right answer which is D but I don't quite understand why A and E are wrong.
Please help.

As for me, I ruled out E because, in addition to being awkward, THEM is ambiguous; who or what is it referring to? The travelers, visas or landing cards.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever would be needed by each of them.
A. a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever would be needed by each of them - A is in the passive voice, and there is no reason that the passive voice would be required in this sentence, so it's preferable to use the active voice
B. they would need a visa, a landing visa, and evidence of their being inoculated against typhoid fever - usage of being
C. they would need evidence of being inoculated against typhoid fever and a visa and landing card - usage of being
D. they would each need a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever - Correct
E. they would need visas, landing cards, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever for each of them. - changes the meaning of the original sentence by changing the number of visas and cards in question. The original sentence makes clear that each person only needs one visa and one landing card, so there is no reason to change that

Answer D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I have read that in the list of items if an item is preceded by an article, then all items should. for ex:- a X, a Y and a Z or else a X , Y or Z. Please clarify my doubt. Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
If you have believed so this far, please do not think so anymore. Because GMAT has made it clear now that it doesn't consider so, the matter is over.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q163 V155
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
okdongdong wrote:
At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever would be needed by each of them.

(A) a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever would be needed by each of them

(B) they would need a visa, a landing visa, and evidence of their being inoculated against typhoid fever

(C) they would need evidence of being inoculated against typhoid fever and a visa and landing card

(D) they would each need a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever

(E) they would need visas, landing cards, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever for each of them

i find this question interesting because all other choices barring D are indirect and passive.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts