Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [39]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [14]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [10]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [5]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: At the invitation of Kwame Nkrumah, W. E. B. Du Bois settled in Gharla [#permalink]
Kudos
I think that there's a slight changing in meaning between A and B.

In A) Kwame Nkrumah invited W. E. B. Du Bois to settle in Gharla

In B) Is not clear whether Kwame Nkrumah invitated W. E. B. Du to settle in Gharla or not. Perhaps Kwame Nkrumah invited W. E. B. Du to visit the country but not to settle in Gharla.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2097 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: At the invitation of Kwame Nkrumah, W. E. B. Du Bois settled in Gharla [#permalink]
Kudos
When he was invited by Kwame Nkrumah, W. E. B. Du Bois settled in Gharla and became the editor of the Encyclopedia Africana. -- means invitation, settlement and becoming editor all happened together which is not true. It distorts the meaning. This is a tough one. I am sure I will get this kind of question wrong in real test.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
I'm still confused with this one.
Could anybody elaborate?

Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 584 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
noboru wrote:
I'm still confused with this one.
Could anybody elaborate?

Thanks!

I think that Daagh's post provides the most logical explanation.

I answered B, thinking that A sounded awkward and might even be unidiomatic.

If A is grammatically correct, then B changes the meaning.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
baruna wrote:
180.At the invitation of Kwame Nkrumah, W.E.B. Du Bois settled in Gharla and became the editor of the Encyclopedia Africana.
(A) At the invitation of
(B) When he was invited by
(C) An invitation coming from
(D) An invitation that came from
(E) After having an invitation by
Pls explain the answer..
thanks

A is 100% correct.
Correct idiom "at the invitation of....."
For example: At the invitation of Prime Minister V. Putin, President Barack Obama had the official trip to Russia.

Hope it helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
C, D and E is completely wrong.

Now race is between A and B.
Lets take B first,
When he was invited by X, Y settled...and became....
At first, use of passive voice which is not preferred.
Second, use of when is used for particular time frame but no such time frame is indicated by action.
B is out.

Compared to B, A is precise and clear in meaning, at the invitation of X, Y settled.....

A is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
Besides the timing of deciding to move is slightly twisted by answer choice D, how do we know it's a "he" when we read the question for the first time? I think that adds some weight to A as well
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Why E option is incorrect and what is the intended meaning of the sentence?
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
At the invitation of Kwame Nkrumah, W. E. B. Du Bois settled in Gharla and became the editor of the Encyclopedia Africana.

(A) At the invitation of Correct answer and no apparent errors.

(B) When he was invited by This implies that Du Bois settled in Gharla at the same time as (or, at least, very close to the time of) the invitation. While not outrightly wrong, this meaning is a little hard to digest. The sentence clearly intends to say that Du Bois settled sometime after the invitation. Given option (A) is so much clearer, we can eliminate this option.

(C) An invitation coming from Incorrect usage of present continuous "coming" for an invitation in the past. Also, that Du Bois settle because of the invitation is not made clear. Eliminate.

(D) An invitation that came from That Du Bois settle because of the invitation is not made clear. Eliminate.

(E) After having an invitation by "having" should be followed by a verb when trying to depict the act of inviting. Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
amanchandra17 wrote:
Why E option is incorrect and what is the intended meaning of the sentence?

amanchandra17, "After having an invitation" is the incorrect usage (see Crack verbal's explanation!). More importantly, it's the meaning that is the real problem here. This sentence basically says that X decided to settle in Ghana after being invited. It simples says that 1 event happened after the other. A is better at communicating the intended meaning, which is "X settled in Ghana to Oblige Y and as Y invited X".

Hope this helps! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
noboru wrote:
At the invitation of Kwame Nkrumah, W. E. B. Du Bois settled in Gharla and became the editor of the Encyclopedia Africana.

(A) At the invitation of
(B) When he was invited by
(C) An invitation coming from
(D) An invitation that came from
(E) After having an invitation by

A is the only one that clarifies why "W. E. B. Du Bois settled in Gharla and became the editor of the Encyclopedia Africana" without creating a run on, or sounding awkward.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
I am not clear why we rejecetd D here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Can you please elaborate on choice E. I understood that choice A is most precise, succinct and depicting the meaning as inferred. But I am not able to have that clarity for choice E, why its incorrect.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tea12 wrote:
Can you please elaborate on choice E. I understood that choice A is most precise, succinct and depicting the meaning as inferred. But I am not able to have that clarity for choice E, why its incorrect.

First off, this might not be an official question, so don't stress over it too much.

For whatever it's worth, (E) suggests a nonsensical timeline:

• Du Bois received an invitation, and he had that invitation for some period of time.
  • At some point AFTER having the invitation, he settled in Gharla. Does this imply that the invitation was rescinded or forfeited BEFORE Du Bois went to Gharla?

In (E), "after having" doesn't really make sense. (A) avoids that issue entirely, making it a better choice.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts