It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 05:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At the county's Office of Disability Claims, we have seen that the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 1452

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: At the county's Office of Disability Claims, we have seen that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 15:37
rahulkashyap wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
At the county's Office of Disability Claims, we have seen that the most experienced, best educated and highly trained analysts are departing in record numbers. Analysts are leaving out of frustration that their salaries are not comparable to those paid at the Social Infrastructure Administration. The backlog in disability cases will not be resolved until we are able to retain the best-trained analysts by paying more competitive salaries.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the prediction that the suggested action will have its intended effect?

(a) The county's Office of Disability Claims has the capability in its annual budget to accommodate more competitive salaries. -Correct. The plan of retaining the employees will work only if the department is capable of paying the increased salary
(b) Many analysts were paid less this year than they were last year -Out of scope
(c) Several county Office of Disability Claims analysts indicated that higher pay is the primary reason they'd prefer to work at the Social Infrastructure Administration. -Okay? This is just restatement of the information given in the passage. Plus, it doesn't take into account the plan (increase the salary to retain the employee)
(d) Raising salaries of county office of disability claims analysts will improve morale at the department -Morale? out of scope
(e) There are several other more feasible ways the country’s office of disability claim’s number of unresolved disability claims can be reduced. -This weakens the argument

But arent we supposed to strengthen the claim that IF WE DO increase the salary, the outcome is that the backlogs will be cleared? and not that whether we CAN increase the salary?

The flaw in C is that even if we pay more, the analysts can feel happier, but still unsatisfied to stay.

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6144 [0], given: 121

Re: At the county's Office of Disability Claims, we have seen that the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 20:37
saswata4s wrote:
At the county's Office of Disability Claims, we have seen that the most experienced, best educated and highly trained analysts are departing in record numbers. Analysts are leaving out of frustration that their salaries are not comparable to those paid at the Social Infrastructure Administration. The backlog in disability cases will not be resolved until we are able to retain the best-trained analysts by paying more competitive salaries.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the prediction that the suggested action will have its intended effect?

(a) The county's Office of Disability Claims has the capability in its annual budget to accommodate more competitive salaries.
(b) Many analysts were paid less this year than they were last year
(c) Several county Office of Disability Claims analysts indicated that higher pay is the primary reason they'd prefer to work at the Social Infrastructure Administration.
(d) Raising salaries of county office of disability claims analysts will improve morale at the department
(e) There are several other more feasible ways the country’s office of disability claim’s number of unresolved disability claims can be reduced.

Hi..
rahulkashyap,

Many times we see the OA and try to fit our response to the Q in a way that it meets the OA.
Surely do it in OG and official questions but always question as you have here.

we have to support the prediction...
By paying extra salaries, the talent can be retained and thus would help in clearing backlog...

Quote:
A.The county's Office of Disability Claims has the capability in its annual budget to accommodate more competitive salaries.

does it support the prediction..
YES in a way. if they have money, then they will be able to retain.
BUT also NO, in other way ..
by adding after the prediction "that the suggested action will have its intended effect", it has restricted the SUPPORT
now you have to support that the suggested action - retain the best-trained analysts by paying more competitive salaries.- will have suggested effect - The backlog in disability cases will be resolved
"Having money" really doesn't suport this, it supports THAT the suggested action is workable

so debatable.

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6144 [0], given: 121

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 20:54
chetan2u wrote:
saswata4s wrote:

(a) The county's Office of Disability Claims has the capability in its annual budget to accommodate more competitive salaries.
(b) Many analysts were paid less this year than they were last year
(c) Several county Office of Disability Claims analysts indicated that higher pay is the primary reason they'd prefer to work at the Social Infrastructure Administration.
(d) Raising salaries of county office of disability claims analysts will improve morale at the department
(e) There are several other more feasible ways the country’s office of disability claim’s number of unresolved disability claims can be reduced.

Hi..
rahulkashyap,

Many times we see the OA and try to fit our response to the Q in a way that it meets the OA.
Surely do it in OG and official questions but always question as you have here.

we have to support the prediction...
By paying extra salaries, the talent can be retained and thus would help in clearing backlog...

Quote:
A.The county's Office of Disability Claims has the capability in its annual budget to accommodate more competitive salaries.

does it support the prediction..
YES in a way. if they have money, then they will be able to retain.
BUT also NO, in other way ..
by adding after the prediction "that the suggested action will have its intended effect", it has restricted the SUPPORT
now you have to support that the suggested action - retain the best-trained analysts by paying more competitive salaries.- will have suggested effect - The backlog in disability cases will be resolved
"Having money" really doesn't suport this, it supports THAT the suggested action is workable

so debatable.

suggested action= paying more money
intended effect= people will stay/ clear the backlog

So the question is to strengthen that more payment ( which the question stem has already taken into consideration as something that can happen) will lead to people staying.

In c, it says the primary reason is low salaries. What is the primary reason was that the other company provided better perks?
In a way, C also does strengthen. Am i right in assuming so?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8991 [0], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 14:23
chesstitans wrote:
arvind910619
I am just stunt to hear that C is not right because C sounds like an opinion. How can you find such valuable tips for GMAT?
For me, I just repeat reading C to get what is really stated in C, and I realize C cannot be the right answer. I never though C is an opinion.

Dear chesstitans,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, my friend, a point of diction. I believe you meant to say that you were "stunned" to hear something. This is a common idiom in colloquial English.

Do not be at all surprised that an opinion might be the reason driving some behavior. Every four years, Americans vote for the US President, often bringing little more than their opinions, some of which have no basis in fact and may even fly in the face of all evidence. Of course Plato and Leibniz might tell us that the world would be better if people always to make rational and well-informed decisions, but in practice, the economy and political process are usually driven by the most irrational forces imaginable. Just because something is an opinion doesn't mean that it would hold no sway in people's decisions.

This is not a particular impressive question, but clearly the answer is (C).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8991 [0], given: 113

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 07:29
Question finally comes down to option A & C.
Analysts are leaving because their salaries are not comparable. It doesn't mean that they want higher salaries than that those paid at social infra admin. 70k annual salary is comparable to 65k or 75k, but not 20k.
Even if they received 65k salary in current office, they would be not frustrated.
But if they are receiving mere 20k or 30k, then their reason is justifiable.
Option C stats that higher pay is primary reason. Even if it is true, observe word "several". Out of 100 employees, 2 or more than 2 constitute several. What if only 2 analysts out of 100 indicated that higher pay is primary reason they'd prefer to work at Social Infrastructure Administration. Then those 2 analysts wouldn't make any difference.
Hence option C is not suitable.
Option A appropriately supports the suggested action.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

VP
VP
S

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 14:22
mikemcgarry wrote:
chesstitans wrote:
arvind910619
I am just stunt to hear that C is not right because C sounds like an opinion. How can you find such valuable tips for GMAT?
For me, I just repeat reading C to get what is really stated in C, and I realize C cannot be the right answer. I never though C is an opinion.

Dear chesstitans,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, my friend, a point of diction. I believe you meant to say that you were "stunned" to hear something. This is a common idiom in colloquial English.

Do not be at all surprised that an opinion might be the reason driving some behavior. Every four years, Americans vote for the US President, often bringing little more than their opinions, some of which have no basis in fact and may even fly in the face of all evidence. Of course Plato and Leibniz might tell us that the world would be better if people always to make rational and well-informed decisions, but in practice, the economy and political process are usually driven by the most irrational forces imaginable. Just because something is an opinion doesn't mean that it would hold no sway in people's decisions.

This is not a particular impressive question, but clearly the answer is (C).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

yes, sure, your message does lighten up something that often bothers me in one way or another. Also, I have noticed that there is sth about "colloquial English" which refers to an informal conversation. That is because I did have a phone with an employer, and I applied the same way of critical thinking in gmat, but the person just is not in the same page with me. Before the talk with the employer is over, the person asks me whether I have advanced skills in English, such as having informal conversation.

At this point, I learnt that to achieve a high score in gmat, sometimes, a test taker may skip the advanced level in English to practice critical thinking.
The next point is that explanation, argument, and inference are always misused in conversations.

This is just my reflection of my gmat performance, and I want to share it with you.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 435

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 10:29
Premise : 1. County office disability claims : analysts are leaving
2. Reason : less money compared to SIA
Conclusion : retain the best-trained analysts by paying more competitive salaries
Gap/Assumption : Raise in salaries - the county must be able to absorb it .
A. Accommodate more competitive salaries : Takes the conclusion further by removing any weakness or gaps. This purposefully eliminates any other assumption that the proposed conclusion will be difficulty to implement because of any financial constraints.
B. Doesn't bothers the conclusion .
c. Ah.. this one is a gigantic black hole ! It basically restates what the premise say.No extra information that will strengthen or facilitate my conclusion. It doesn't takes the conclusion any further.
d. We are not concerned about Morales of the people.
e. Not at all related to conclusion.

final answer : A

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 435

Re: At the county's Office of Disability Claims, we have seen that the   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2017, 10:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

At the county's Office of Disability Claims, we have seen that the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap