It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member
Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2017, 12:47
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Director
Director
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 09:35
mikemcgarry wrote:
betterscore wrote:
At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a composer to assist him-someone not only who could arrange music for his successful big band, but mirroring his eccentric writing style as well in order to finish the many pieces he had started but never completed.

(A) someone not only who could arrange music for his successful big band, but mirroring his eccentric writing style as well in order to finish
(B) someone who could not only arrange music for his successful big band, but also mirror his eccentric writing style in order to finish
(C) someone who not only could arrange music for his successful big band, but also to mirror his eccentric writing style in finishing
(D) that being someone who could not only arrange music for his successful big band, but mirroring his eccentric writing style for finishing
(E) being someone not only who could arrange music for his successful big band, but mirror his eccentric writing style as well, finishing

Hi, there. I'm happy to help with this one. :-)

This is OG13 SC #4, a new question that does not appear in OG12.

The BIG IDEA of this question is the "not only .... but also" idiom. The "not only" phrase appears in all five answer choices, and on the GMAT, every "not only" has to be followed by a "but only."

Right away, that eliminates (A) & (D) & (E), leaving only (B) and (C).

Now we have to look at parallelism, because in the construction "not only X but also Y", X and Y must be in parallel.

In (B) we have
= could not only arrange music
= but also mirror
verb "arrange" correctly parallel with verb "mirror"

In (C) we have
= not only could arrange music
= but also to mirror
One is a verb and the other is an infinitive, so this is a failure of parallelism. Also, notice the common word "could" either needs to be totally outside ---- "could not only X but also Y" --- or it need to appear in both terms ---- "not only could X but also could Y". See this blog for more on that mistake:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/common-par ... orrection/

For a variety of reasons, (C) is incorrect, so we are left with (B) as the best answer.

Does all this make sense? Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :-)

Hello Mike

If a sentence has "but also" then is it necessary that it should also have "not only" before it?
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 14:11
Shiv2016 wrote:
Hello Mike

If a sentence has "but also" then is it necessary that it should also have "not only" before it?

Dear Shiv2016,,

I'm happy to respond, my friend. :-)

In the big broad world of the English language, no, absolutely not. We certainly could have have "but also" without any "not" statement before it.
Albert Schweitzer was a medical doctor but also a scholar of classical music.

That's what's true in the big broad world of English. Now, in the somewhat more limited scope of the GMAT, could you see something such as this? Yes, it is fair game. The "not only . . . but also" is a common parallel marker, but we can't become too attached, in a dogmatic way, to this exact formulation. Multiple variations exist within perfectly accepted English.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Director
Director
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 22:26
mikemcgarry wrote:
Shiv2016 wrote:
Hello Mike

Dear Shiv2016,,

I'm happy to respond, my friend. :-)

In the big broad world of the English language, no, absolutely not. We certainly could have have "but also" without any "not" statement before it.
Albert Schweitzer was a medical doctor but also a scholar of classical music.

That's what's true in the big broad world of English. Now, in the somewhat more limited scope of the GMAT, could you see something such as this? Yes, it is fair game. The "not only . . . but also" is a common parallel marker, but we can't become too attached, in a dogmatic way, to this exact formulation. Multiple variations exist within perfectly accepted English.

Does all this make sense?

Thanks for your reply. :)

Are there any official questions that use such construction?
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 08:41
Shiv2016 wrote:

Dear Shiv2016,

My friend, I'm happy to respond. :-) Of course, I don't have the entire corpus of official GMAT questions memorized, but don't remember ever seeing the "but also" without the "not only" in an official question. I believe I have seen some variants, such as dropping the word "also," in some official questions, although I cannot locate one at the moment.

I hope that's helpful.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Director
Director
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 08:45
mikemcgarry wrote:
Shiv2016 wrote:

Dear Shiv2016,

My friend, I'm happy to respond. :-) Of course, I don't have the entire corpus of official GMAT questions memorized, but don't remember ever seeing the "but also" without the "not only" in an official question. I believe I have seen some variants, such as dropping the word "also," in some official questions, although I cannot locate one at the moment.

I hope that's helpful.

No problem Mike. Thank you for your reply.
If I come across such a question, then I will post it here.
Verbal Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 13:25
This question is a good candidate for parallelism.

Here, the structure should be Not only X...., but also Y

Only B uses it correctly, rest all the options are having parallelism issues because of verbs "arrange" and "mirror"

Hence, B

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 22:34
Please explain the effect of being in choice D and E
Mannheim Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 04:03
"B" is the correct choice: not only, but also usage is correct.

A - not only, ... but also should be there
C - not only could.... but also to (preposition) usage is incorrect (not parallel)
"D" and "E" avoid because of "being" usage

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 20:16
At the end of the 1930's, Duke Ellington was looking for a composer to assist him-someone not only who could arrange music for his successful band, but mirroring his eccentric writing style as well in order to finish the many pieces he had started but never completed.

A someone not only who could arrange music for his successful band, but mirroring his eccentric writing style as well in order to finish - parallelism issue - “Not only who…” is not parallel to “but mirroring… ”,
B someone who could not only arrange music for his successful band, but also mirror his eccentric writing style in order to finish - Correct
C someone who not only could arrange music for his successful band, but also to mirror his eccentric style in writing - parallelism issue
D that being someone who could not only arrange music for his successful big band, but mirroring his eccentric writing style for finishing - parallelism issue
E being someone not only who could arrange music for his successful big band, but mirror his eccentric writing style as well, finishing - parallelism issue

Answer B

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Re: At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2018, 20:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

At the end of the 1930s, Duke Ellington was looking for a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap