GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 Apr 2018, 20:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 04:22
arvind910619

In fact the passage state that researchers may exclude some events from life stories of Native American which native american people consider important: "Editors often decided what elements were significant to the field research on a given tribe. Native Americans recognized that the essence of their lives could not be communicated in English and that events that they thought significant were often deemed unimportant by their interviewers"
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 07:46
Can someone explain why B is preferred over C for Q6 -

6. It can be inferred from the passage that a characteristic of the ethnological research on Native Americans conducted during the nineteenth century was the use of which of the following?

(A) Investigators familiar with the culture under study
(B) A language other than the informant???s for recording life stories
(C) Life stories as the ethnologist???s primary source of information
(D) Complete transcriptions of informants??? descriptions of tribal beliefs
(E) Stringent guidelines for the preservation of cultural data
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
anupam87 wrote:
Can someone explain why B is preferred over C for Q6 -

6. It can be inferred from the passage that a characteristic of the ethnological research on Native Americans conducted during the nineteenth century was the use of which of the following?

(B) A language other than the informant???s for recording life stories
(C) Life stories as the ethnologist???s primary source of information
(D) Complete transcriptions of informants??? descriptions of tribal beliefs

Quote:
(C) Life stories as the ethnologist’s primary source of information

Refer to the following portion:

Quote:
[ethnologists] were after linguistic or anthropological data that would supplement their own field observations, and they believed that the personal stories, even of a single individual, could increase their understanding of the cultures that they had been observing from without.

The ethnologists wanted to use the personal stories to supplement their own field observations. We cannot accurately infer that the ethnologists wanted to use life stories as their primary source of information. Thus, (C) can be eliminated.

Quote:
(B) A language other than the informant’s for recording life stories

As for choice (B), we are told that "Native Americans recognized that the essence of their lives could not be communicated in English." This implies that English must have been used to record at least some of the Native Americans' life stories. We can infer that English was not the language of the Native Americans (the informants), so choice (B) is the best answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- Wednesdays, February 14 - April 4!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B
At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 01:30
Quote:

(B) A language other than the informant's for recording life stories
(C) Life stories as the ethnologist's primary source of information
(D) Complete transcriptions of informants's descriptions of tribal beliefs

Can anyone please tell me the meaning of the question? What does it ask for? And how does C make sense?
I had no idea about this one :(
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 22:29
lichting wrote:
Quote:

Can anyone please tell me the meaning of the question? What does it ask for? And how does C make sense?

Hi all,

Could anyone can help me and other user answer this question? I don't understand the question and why B is the correct answer?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 17:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
thingocanhnguyen wrote:
lichting wrote:
Quote:

Hi all,

Could anyone can help me and other user answer this question? I don't understand the question and why B is the correct answer?

In the 19th century, there was a rising interest in Native American customs and cultures. This interest prompted ethnologists, scientists studying the Native Americans, to begin recording personal life stories of Native Americans. These stories would supposedly supplement other field research pertaining to Native Americans.

In other words, the scientists had already observed the Native Americans ("field observations" are just observations made in a natural environment/setting/habitat) prior to this rise in interest. We can infer that these observations were largely impersonal... imagine the scientists just having a look around and observing how the Native Americans lived. But in the 19th century, the scientists wanted to SUPPLEMENT these impersonal observations with life stories of the Native Americans. Surely such personal stories would add to the scientists' understanding of the Native Americans and their way of life.

As for question 6, we are looking for a characteristic of that 19th century research. Based on the information in the passage, which of the following can be inferred about that research (i.e. the recording of life stories of Native Americans)?

Quote:

The investigators were actually criticized for NOT being very in-touch with the cultures under study: "investigators rarely spent enough time with the tribes they were observing". The investigators may have been trying to record personal stories, but they were not necessarily familiar with the Native American cultures while they did so. Eliminate (A).

Quote:
(B) A language other than the informant’s for recording life stories

We are told that "Native Americans recognized that the essence of their lives could not be communicated in English." This implies that English must have been used to record at least some, if not most, of the Native Americans' life stories. We can infer that English was not the language of the Native Americans (the informants), so choice (B) looks good.

Quote:
(C) Life stories as the ethnologist’s primary source of information

Refer to the following portion: "[ethnologists] were after linguistic or anthropological data that would supplement their own field observations, and they believed that the personal stories, even of a single individual, could increase their understanding of the cultures that they had been observing from without."

The ethnologists wanted to use the personal stories to supplement their own field observations. We cannot accurately infer that the ethnologists wanted to use life stories as their primary source of information. Thus, (C) can be eliminated.

Quote:
(D) Complete transcriptions of informants’ descriptions of tribal beliefs

There is nothing in the passage indicating that the ethnologists had COMPLETE transcriptions. In fact, we are told that as the stories were recorded, "much was inevitably lost". Thus, (D) can be eliminated.

Quote:

The passage does not mention anything about stringent (strict) guidelines for the recording of the stories or for preservation of cultural data in general. Eliminate (E).

Choice (B) is the best answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- Wednesdays, February 14 - April 4!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT Date: 07-30-2015
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 13:08
Anyone help me why the answer to the main idea question Q. 5 is C - critique a methodology. I mean here ethnologist want to study the native americans because of two reasons stated and they discussed how the study would help them.

Please explain why C is the best answer
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 18:54
rajatbanik wrote:
Anyone help me why the answer to the main idea question Q. 5 is C - critique a methodology. I mean here ethnologist want to study the native americans because of two reasons stated and they discussed how the study would help them.

Please explain why C is the best answer

First, what is the meaning of main idea question? it is summary of all paragraphs. What you are concluding is just first para, in rest two para author is criticizing this approach, mentioned in first para. even the third para look like the author's opinion.

Hope My answer is helpful for you.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2018, 18:54

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap