GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2019, 07:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1746
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 18:54
rajatbanik wrote:
Anyone help me why the answer to the main idea question Q. 5 is C - critique a methodology. I mean here ethnologist want to study the native americans because of two reasons stated and they discussed how the study would help them.

Please explain why C is the best answer


First, what is the meaning of main idea question? it is summary of all paragraphs. What you are concluding is just first para, in rest two para author is criticizing this approach, mentioned in first para. even the third para look like the author's opinion.

Hope My answer is helpful for you.
_________________
Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 74
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 21:59
Good passage. Got one incorrect. The final question. Did not consider the correct meaning of the correct option.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 2
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2018, 06:23
Hello GMATNinja,
Could you please elaborate on the question and answer of question number 6 of the above passage

"38. It can be inferred from the passage that a characteristic of the ethnological research on Native Americans conducted during the nineteenth century was the use of which of the following?

(A) Investigators familiar with the culture under study
(B) A language other than the informant’s for recording life stories
(C) Life stories as the ethnologist’s primary source of information
(D) Complete transcriptions of informants’ descriptions of tribal beliefs
(E) Stringent guidelines for the preservation of cultural data"

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Sep 2016
Posts: 47
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 01:45
Please explain why tha answer to the 34th question is C and the answer to question 38 is B ??
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2561
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 19:13
Merged duplicate topics. Please, search question before creating discussion.

ronak25 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja,
Could you please elaborate on the question and answer of question number 6 of the above passage

"38. It can be inferred from the passage that a characteristic of the ethnological research on Native Americans conducted during the nineteenth century was the use of which of the following?

(A) Investigators familiar with the culture under study
(B) A language other than the informant’s for recording life stories
(C) Life stories as the ethnologist’s primary source of information
(D) Complete transcriptions of informants’ descriptions of tribal beliefs
(E) Stringent guidelines for the preservation of cultural data"

Thank you.

ronak25, refer to this post for an explanation of question #6 (38).

siddharthfrancis wrote:
Please explain why tha answer to the 34th question is C and the answer to question 38 is B ??

siddharthfrancis, see if these two posts help with Question 34:


If not, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button to post additional, specific questions!
_________________
GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: Turning my handicaps into assets
Joined: 09 Apr 2017
Posts: 127
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 00:16
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Alexis.vargas10 wrote:
QUESTION 38, PAG 35, VERBAL REVIEW OFFICIAL GUIDE 2ND ED


Please help me with this question.

At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest
in Native American customs and an increasing desire to
understand Native American culture prompted ethnologists
to begin recording the life stories of Native American.
Ethnologists had a distinct reason for wanting to
hear the stories: they were after linguistic or anthropological
data that would supplement their own field
observations, and they believed that the personal
stories, even of a single individual, could increase
their understanding of the cultures that they had been
observing from without. In addition many ethnologists
at the turn of the century believed that Native American
manners and customs were rapidly disappearing,
and that it was important to preserve for posterity as
much information as could be adequately recorded
before the cultures disappeared forever.
There were, however, arguments against this method
as a way of acquiring accurate and complete information.

Franz Boas, for example, described autobiographies as being
“of limited value, and useful chiefly for
the study of the perversion of truth by memory,” while
Paul Radin contended that investigators rarely spent
enough time with the tribes they were observing, and
inevitably derived results too tinged by the investi-
gator’s own emotional tone to be reliable.

Even more importantly, as these life stories moved
from the traditional oral mode to recorded written
form, much was inevitably lost. Editors often decided
what elements were significant to the field research on a
given tribe.Native Americans recognized that the
essence of their lives could not be communicated in
English and that events that they thought significant
were often deemed unimportant by their interviewers.

Indeed, the very act of telling their stories could force
Native American narrators to distort their cultures, as
taboos had to be broken to speak the names of dead
relatives crucial to their family stories.
Despite all of this, autobiography remains a useful
tool for ethnological research: such personal reminiscences
and impressions, incomplete as they may be, are
likely to throw more light on the working of the mind
and emotions than any amount of speculation from an
ethnologist or ethnological theorist from another
culture.

38 It can be inferred from the passage that a characteristic of the ethnological research on Native Americans conducted
during the nineteenth century was the use of which of the following?
(A) Investigators familiar with the culture under study
(B) A language other than the informant’s for recording life stories
(C) Life stories as the ethnologist’s primary source of information
(D) Complete transcriptions of informants’ descriptions of tribal beliefs
(E) Stringent guidelines for the preservation of cultural data

I chose A, i do no see why it can be wrong, and I do not finish to understand why B is the answer. I am confused since the passage mentions that during the 19th century there was an interested in linguistics, so I think researches could be interested in the different languages in different cultures, so I do not understand that "A language other than the informant's for recording life stories" is the correct answer.


Focus on the highlighted portions of the text. The text starts out with what ethnologists started doing in 19th century. In arguments against the methods used, it talks about interviewers not spending enough time and hence probably not being properly familiar with the culture. So (A) is not correct. We cannot say that the research used investigators familiar with the culture under study.
Also, English was used to record the life stories of informants (which is different from informant's language) as is evident from the last highlighted portion. So (B) is correct.



Dear VeritasPrepKarishma,

How long should we spend on passages like this (including answering the questions)?
_________________
If time was on my side, I'd still have none to waste......
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9325
Location: Pune, India
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 01:35
Mehemmed wrote:
How long should we spend on passages like this (including answering the questions)?



Mehemmed,

Unfortunately, in Verbal you cannot spend more than 1.5 - 2 mins on any question. Also, max time you can save is 30 secs per SC question. Your couple of CR questions sometimes could take as much as 3-4 mins. All in all, you certainly don't have more than 2 mins per question. Given that a passage may have 3-4 questions, you cannot afford to spend more than 6-8 mins on it. Ideally, 3-4 mins to read and understand it and then less than a minute on each question.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: Turning my handicaps into assets
Joined: 09 Apr 2017
Posts: 127
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 01:47
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Mehemmed wrote:
How long should we spend on passages like this (including answering the questions)?



Mehemmed,

Unfortunately, in Verbal you cannot spend more than 1.5 - 2 mins on any question. Also, max time you can save is 30 secs per SC question. Your couple of CR questions sometimes could take as much as 3-4 mins. All in all, you certainly don't have more than 2 mins per question. Given that a passage may have 3-4 questions, you cannot afford to spend more than 6-8 mins on it. Ideally, 3-4 mins to read and understand it and then less than a minute on each question.



Thank you for the reply. Is this 6-8 mins per passage must be equal for any type of passage. Mostly, long passages (400-450 words) takes me up to 11-13 mins (including answers).
_________________
If time was on my side, I'd still have none to waste......
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9325
Location: Pune, India
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 23:24
Mehemmed wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Mehemmed wrote:
How long should we spend on passages like this (including answering the questions)?



Mehemmed,

Unfortunately, in Verbal you cannot spend more than 1.5 - 2 mins on any question. Also, max time you can save is 30 secs per SC question. Your couple of CR questions sometimes could take as much as 3-4 mins. All in all, you certainly don't have more than 2 mins per question. Given that a passage may have 3-4 questions, you cannot afford to spend more than 6-8 mins on it. Ideally, 3-4 mins to read and understand it and then less than a minute on each question.



Thank you for the reply. Is this 6-8 mins per passage must be equal for any type of passage. Mostly, long passages (400-450 words) takes me up to 11-13 mins (including answers).


Even the long passages won't come with more than 4 questions. So 11-13 mins is not justified. You need to increase your reading speed to about 250 words per minute at least.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jan 2017
Posts: 9
At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 22:07
It can be inferred from the passage that the author would be most likely to agree
with which of the following statements about the usefulness of life stories as a
source of ethnographic information?
(A) They can be a source of information about how people in a culture view the world.
(B) They are most useful as a source of linguistic information.
(C) They require editing and interpretation before they can be useful.
(D) They are most useful as a source of information about ancestry.
(E) They provide incidental information rather than significant insights into a way
of life.

Explanation please.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jan 2018
Posts: 51
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 01:17
Took me close to 10 min to read the passage and answer all the questions. Need to work on my improving my time management. :oops:
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 24
At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 23:16
Hi Verbal Experts,
daagh GMATNinja chetan2u

Please throw light on the "primary purpose" question.

The author at last concludes that autobiographies still remain a useful tool for research. Then how main idea is to "critique a methodology" ?

Is the primary purpose question different from author's viewpoint/purpose?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4769
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 07:11
1
Top Contributor
The purpose of the author may be different from the primary purpose of the passage. In this case, the author is merely a proponent of the use of autobiographies as a tool of anthropological study, while people like Radin and Boas were the opponents. The issue of the debate was the efficacy of using autobiographies for some purpose.

The purpose of the passage is to review why the autobiographies are useful vs. why they are not. The author is just giving his views from outside the ring as one more participant. Eventually, therefore, the author's purpose need not be the passage's purpose.
_________________
The Take-Away: Grammar First and Then the Rest
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 517
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 10:19
1
1
XYZABCABC wrote:
Hi Verbal Experts,
daagh GMATNinja chetan2u

Please throw light on the "primary purpose" question.

The author at last concludes that autobiographies still remain a useful tool for research. Then how main idea is to "critique a methodology" ?

Is the primary purpose question different from author's viewpoint/purpose?


Hello,

I am no expert, but here are my 2 cents.
Firstly, know that 'critiquing' is not same as 'criticizing'
Dictionary meaning: evaluate (a theory or practice) in a detailed and analytical way i.e. to present the merits and demerits of the theory.

So, here the author introduces the practice in the beginning of the passage - using autobiographies to know more about life stories of N.A people.
Then the author presents the disadvantages followed by his opinion (advantage) of the practice.
Essentially, the author is indeed evaluating or 'critiquing' a methodology.
Hope that answers your question.
_________________
------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Dec 2018
Posts: 193
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 23:49
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

2. Which of the following is most similar to the actions of nineteenth-century ethnologists in their editing of the life stories of Native Americans?

(A) A witness in a jury trial invokes the Fifth Amendment in order to avoid relating personally incriminating evidence.
(B) A stockbroker refuses to divulge the source of her information on the possible future increase in a stock’s value.
(C) A sports announcer describes the action in a team sport with which he is unfamiliar.
(D) A chef purposely excludes the special ingredient from the recipe of his prizewinning dessert.
(E) A politician fails to mention in a campaign speech the similarities in the positions held by her opponent for political office and by herself.



Which lines should I refer to answer this question?? "Editors often decided what elements were significant to the field research on a given tribe."I used this line and chose option D.Please explain how C is right and how do I eliminate other options??
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2561
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2019, 10:41
mallya12 wrote:
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

2. Which of the following is most similar to the actions of nineteenth-century ethnologists in their editing of the life stories of Native Americans?

(A) A witness in a jury trial invokes the Fifth Amendment in order to avoid relating personally incriminating evidence.
(B) A stockbroker refuses to divulge the source of her information on the possible future increase in a stock’s value.
(C) A sports announcer describes the action in a team sport with which he is unfamiliar.
(D) A chef purposely excludes the special ingredient from the recipe of his prizewinning dessert.
(E) A politician fails to mention in a campaign speech the similarities in the positions held by her opponent for political office and by herself.



Which lines should I refer to answer this question?? "Editors often decided what elements were significant to the field research on a given tribe."I used this line and chose option D.Please explain how C is right and how do I eliminate other options??

Maybe check out this post, and see if it helps?
_________________
GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
GMAT Club Bot
Re: At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer   [#permalink] 01 May 2019, 10:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

At the end of the nineteenth century, a rising interest in Native Amer

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne