Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619012 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools: Mannheim
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619012 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: At Veridux Corporation, there are 250 employees. Of these, 90 are fema [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
At Veridux Corporation, there are 250 employees. Of these, 90 are female, and the rest are males. There are a total of 40 managers, and the rest of the employees are associates. If there are a total of 135 male associates, how many female managers are there?

A. 15
B. 20
C. 25
D. 30
E. 35

Kudos for a correct solution.

MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION

I will demonstrate the Double Matrix Method first by solving question #1, then question #2. In the Double Matrix Method, you make a sectioned box, a rectangle with subdivisions. The horizontal subdivisions will represent the categories of one variable, and the vertical subdivisions will represent the categories of the other variable. Here’s the set-up for question #1: I temporarily put letters in the boxes, to facilitate talking about those boxes.
Attachment:
s2_img1.png
s2_img1.png [ 3.85 KiB | Viewed 3241 times ]

A is number of male managers, B is the number of female managers, and A + B = C is the total number of managers. Similarly, D is the number male associates, and A + D = G is the total number of males. In any row, you can add across the first two boxes and the sum will be the box on the right. In any column, you can add the top two boxes, and the sum will be the bottom box. The final number, I, is the “grand total”, the total number of employees in the whole problem, which obvious has to equal the sum of males + females, as well as the sum of managers + associates.

Here’s that matrix again with the numbers from the problem filled in — just the numbers stated in black-and-white in the problem.
Attachment:
s2_img2.png
s2_img2.png [ 3.29 KiB | Viewed 3221 times ]

Well, first let’s take care of the “totals”. The numbers in the “totals” row must add up. If 90 are females, the other 250 – 90 = 160 must be males. Similarly, the numbers in the “totals” column must add up. If 40 are managers, then the other 250 – 40 = 210 must be associates.
Attachment:
s2_img3.png
s2_img3.png [ 3.37 KiB | Viewed 3201 times ]

Now, in the “associate” row, 135 + E = 210, which means E = 75 — the other 75 associates must be female.
Attachment:
s2_img4.png
s2_img4.png [ 3.4 KiB | Viewed 3197 times ]

Now, to find B, which is what the question is asking, we need only look at the sum in the “female” column: B + 75 = 90, which means B = 15. There are fifteen female managers in this company. Thus, the answer = (A).

Instead of this route, once we found all the “totals” numbers, we could have used addition in the “male” column to find A = 25, then use addition across the “managers” to find B = 15 —- in fact, if you have a second route for finding the number, you should perform that too, to verify that you get the same number both ways.

- See more at: https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-sets- ... XxtSw.dpuf
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: At Veridux Corporation, there are 250 employees. Of these, 90 are fema [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts