Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [14]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [1]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Send PM
Re: Inference: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge [#permalink]
There are questions available at CR directory on GMAT Club itself, questions that are sourced from various test prep companies. Thorough study of those questions in addition to the OG 12/13 will definitely suffice anyone's needs.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32874 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
OE is possible ??

A is really weird as response
Director
Director
Send PM
There is a better idea: stick with the official ones.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Expert Reply
umeshpatil wrote:
Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge for anyone. One who controls his mind controls everything else.The first and the most elusive step in accomplishing this objective is the recognition of its truth.The pressures and temptations of the world are generally strong enough to blind one to this truth though a very few manage to see through them.

Which one of the following can be inferred from the above passage?

A. Control over mind is self sustaining after a certain point
B. Control of mind is not difficult for everyone
C. Attempting self control is a self defeating objective
D. Control over everything is the ultimate challenge for anyone
E. Pressures and temptations of the world are numerous

The objective here is attaining self control and the truth of this objective or purpose of self control is to control everything.The clue to answering this question is the underlined words in the following sentence: The first and the most elusive step in accomplishing this objective is the recognition of its truth. That means once the first hurdle is crossed which is recognizing that by self control you can control everything, the other hurdles to self control can definitely be crossed. That is, the first step is responsible for making the subsequent steps happen and therefore the process sustains itself.

As an elaboration consider that you consider that self control is very important and needs to be attained. That is the most difficult step. Once you clear that you take steps to control your mind since you recognize its importance and you can achieve the objective because the subsequent steps are less difficult to achieve. It is a complicated way of saying that once you consider an objective important and needs to be achieved, that being the most difficult task in the accomplishment of the objective, the objective will be achieved by the recognition of its importance.
Director
Director
Send PM
Quote:
the first step is responsible for making the subsequent steps happen and therefore the process sustains itself.

Hii Sri.
Can you please elaborate the above quote of yours. The "self-sustain" is quite a heavy word, but I am not able to infer it from the passage.
Thanks in advance.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Marcab wrote:
Quote:
the first step is responsible for making the subsequent steps happen and therefore the process sustains itself.

Hii Sri.
Can you please elaborate the above quote of yours. The "self-sustain" is quite a heavy word, but I am not able to infer it from the passage.
Thanks in advance.

Dear Marcab,

When a process is self sustaining, the steps in the process itself is able to sustain the process and the process is brought to completion. In this case the first step in the process of attaining self control is believing that attaining self control is important because it helps you to control everything else which is what is given in the passage. Does this step make the process self sustaining? or in other words does this step aid the other steps?, and is the process finally brought to completion? It does because of the words that this step is the most elusive . Normally when you have an objective and work towards it there are a number of steps that may be needed to complete the objective. Just believing in your goal is not sufficient. But in this case believing is the most difficult part. So once you want to attain self control and believe in the importance of self control that will see you through the whole process.

"Self sustaining" may be high sounding but what it really means is that a step(s) of the process aids other steps.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
Quote:

Hii Sri.
Thanks in advance.

Me too

inference questions are only something saying in other words. that's it

here i do not see any clue that suggests self sustainable.........
Board of Directors
Send PM
umeshpatil wrote:
Hello Marcab,

Yes. I also find this question little tougher.
My few couple of questions are taken from here: https://www.sravna.com/gmat_ques.php

I am looking for CR practice question. It will be great help if you suggest some question bank :)

guy there is a bunch of sources out there

veritas question bank, jumbo test, f1 gmat ...........now I'll made a post with the best resource on the web taken from my bookmarks

coming soon......... :wink:
Director
Director
Send PM
Yeah...point sounds interesting.+1 to you.
Can you please explain why B is incorrect? I chose B because in the stimulus it is mentioned at the end that there are very few who can see through the truth, thus thereby recognize the truth and hence therefore control everything else.
Also this question doesn't seems even below than the 730 level.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Marcab wrote:
Yeah...point sounds interesting.+1 to you.
Can you please explain why B is incorrect? I chose B because in the stimulus it is mentioned at the end that there are very few who can see through the truth, thus thereby recognize the truth and hence therefore control everything else.
Also this question doesn't seems even below than the 730 level.

B is not correct because, a few recognize the truth but it doesn't follow it is not difficult for them to attain self control. The first sentence exactly says this point. That it is challenging for anyone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge for anyone. [#permalink]
But i think there's difference between a NECESSARY condition and SUFFICIENT condition. What you've mentioned here is a necessary condition but not a sufficient condition. There are 100 steps of which the 1st one is most elusive. Doesn't mean that the first one is sufficient. I hope I didn't get wrong here.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
umeshpatil wrote:
Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge for anyone. One who controls his mind controls everything else.The first and the most elusive step in accomplishing this objective is the recognition of its truth.The pressures and temptations of the world are generally strong enough to blind one to this truth though a very few manage to see through them.

The objective here is attaining self control and the truth of this objective or purpose of self control is to control everything.The clue to answering this question is the underlined words in the following sentence: The first and the most elusive step in accomplishing this objective is the recognition of its truth. That means once the first hurdle is crossed which is recognizing that by self control you can control everything, the other hurdles to self control can definitely be crossed. That is, the first step is responsible for making the subsequent steps happen and therefore the process sustains itself.

As an elaboration consider that you consider that self control is very important and needs to be attained. That is the most difficult step. Once you clear that you take steps to control your mind since you recognize its importance and you can achieve the objective because the subsequent steps are less difficult to achieve. It is a complicated way of saying that once you consider an objective important and needs to be achieved, that being the most difficult task in the accomplishment of the objective, the objective will be achieved by the recognition of its importance.

How does recognizing truth necessarily mean that other hurdles to self control can definitely be crossed? Everyone knows the truth of attaining self control, but is everyone able to attain self control?

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [1]
Send PM
Attaining self control is the ultimate challenge for anyone. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mahmud6 wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
umeshpatil wrote:

How does recognizing truth necessarily mean that other hurdles to self control can definitely be crossed? Everyone knows the truth of attaining self control, but is everyone able to attain self control?

Posted from my mobile device

There is a difference between understanding something and realization of it. By understanding something one is not guaranteed to put it faithfully into practice but in the case of realization one is able to do that.

The topic talks about pressures and temptations of the world blinding almost everybody to the recognition of the truth. So it does not talk about just understanding but realization. Since by realization one is able to put ones thoughts into practice, we can say that what is said in choice A is true.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts