Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [117]
Given Kudos: 5542
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [10]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [10]
Given Kudos: 5542
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [9]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Atul Gawande the former surgeon general in his book The Checklist [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
skycastle19 wrote:
I think B and E convey the same meaning.

Can someone please help explain what is the difference in meaning between B and E? Thanks.

Quote:
B) ...that doctors could use the same sort of checklists that pilots do to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving...

E) ...that doctors could use the same sort of checklists that pilots use to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving...

Super tricky one here.... :-o I think this is an issue related to how helping verbs, such as DO, can sub in for lengthier verb phrases. In B, the use of DO repeats the entire verb phrase about the usage of some kind of checklist. The DO emphasises the concept of using a checklist but not the same copy of the checklist...."in the same way that pilots do (also use) [some sort of checklist]". In E, however, the lack of DO makes it sound like Gawande is arguing that doctors should "use checklists (in the same way) pilots use (checklists)" to reduce medical errors...which - echoing the OE - is illogical.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [7]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Atul Gawande the former surgeon general in his book The Checklist [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
There are two reasons why B is preferable to E, and they are both pretty small ones. First, in answer B the phrase 'saving both money and time' is used. This emphasizes the benefits of checklists in a way that answer E doesn't. A pretty small reason, I admit.

The second, bigger reason, is the one stated in the official explanation: "The same sort of checklists that pilots use to greatly reduce the number of medical errors sounds as though the pilots use their checklists to reduce medical errors."

Consider these examples:
(1) Vamsee wears the same trainers I do to run faster.
(2) Vamsee wears the same trainers I wear to run faster.

The first sentence shows that Vamsee is the one who wants to run faster. In the second sentence, it seems that I wear these trainers to run faster, not Vamsee. Actually, I'd say that the second example isn't great because the meaning is unclear. It's a pretty subtle difference in meaning, but it's the kind of thing to watch out for in high-level SC problems.

-- As per Sage Pearce-Higgins, ManhattanGMAT Staff
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [5]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Doesnot B sound like pilots use checklist to reducxe emergency errors ,where as it is the doctor who should use checklist?
What is wrong in A?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
GDT wrote:
VeritasKarishma
Can you pls explain what's wrong with E

(E) ... same sort of checklists that pilots use to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, ...

This implies that pilots use the checklists to reduce number of medical errors. This is incorrect.
We need to say that doctors can use the checklists to reduce number of medical errors.

In (B), the comparison ends at "... doctors could use the same sort of checklists that pilots do"
The rest "to greatly reduce ..." is for the doctors.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hD13 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
GDT wrote:
VeritasKarishma
Can you pls explain what's wrong with E

(E) ... same sort of checklists that pilots use to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, ...

This implies that pilots use the checklists to reduce number of medical errors. This is incorrect.
We need to say that doctors can use the checklists to reduce number of medical errors.

In (B), the comparison ends at "... doctors could use the same sort of checklists that pilots do"
The rest "to greatly reduce ..." is for the doctors.

With all due respect , I still think the question is of poor quality since even B conveys as if pilots use to reduce medical errors.

VeritasKarishma

Yes, I understand and agree somewhat. It is a question of what is better of the given options.

After "pilots do to greatly reduce ..." I was expecting something about the pilots but upon reading "medical errors..." I understood that the comparison was over at "pilots do". We routinely use do/does in comparisons to replace previously written constructs.

But "pilots use to greatly reduce..." is a bit more unforgiving.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Atul Gawande, the former surgeon general, in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, argues that doctors could use the same sort of checklists as pilots and greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving both money and lives.

A) Atul Gawande, the former surgeon general, in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, argues that doctors could use the same sort of checklists as pilots and greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving both- usage of AND changes the meaning(use of checklists and reduce the number of medical errors are related actions)

B) Atul Gawande, the former surgeon general, argues in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, that doctors could use the same sort of checklists that pilots do to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving both

C) Former surgeon general Atul Gawande argues in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, that doctors could use the same sort of checklists as pilots, greatly reducing the number of medical errors, saving - Verb-ing modifiers reducing and savings are not connected properly using AND

D) Former surgeon general Atul Gawande argues in his book, The Checklist Manifesto, that doctors could use the same sort of checklists that pilots do to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, both saving - parallelism issue - both saving money and lives

E) In his book, The Checklist Manifesto, former surgeon general Atul Gawande argues that doctors could use the same sort of checklists that pilots use to greatly reduce the number of medical errors, saving

1. I narrowed to options B and E and ended up choosing E.

2. In option A and C, "that doctors could use the same sort of checklists as pilots" -- can we eliminate these options based incorrect usages of AS. (As followed by a noun is used for a role.)
Or is this ellipsis ? "that doctors could use the same sort of checklists as pilots (do)"

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , DmitryFarber , daagh , ccooley , generis , other experts - please enlighten
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
0012anirban wrote:
Is E wrong because at last it says only saving and not saving both??

No, saving X and Y & saving both X and Y are correct. The first one is just an open marker (X and Y) and the second is closed (both X and Y). In my opinion, not a good reason for eliminating E.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500