Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [43]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [5]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [2]
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Re: Audiences find a speaker more convincing if the speaker begins a speec [#permalink]
Kudos
I Feel answer to be C and not A .

Experts Help . :cry:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Send PM
Re: Audiences find a speaker more convincing if the speaker begins a speec [#permalink]
Kudos
I fell for C as well. I immediately eliminated A for out of scope.
I am trying to convince myself why A is right instead of C.
Can anybody explain why C is wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
(A) Political candidates typically have no control over which excerpts from their speeches will be reported by the news media.
-- This statement if true will definitely make the augmentative technique less effective. If the media reports only the starting part of the speech, the whole purpose of the speech will get void. Hence A is a correct answer choice.

(B) Many people do not find arguments made by politicians convincing, since the arguments are often one-sided or oversimplify the issues.
-- Irrelevant.

(C) People decide which political candidate to vote for more on the basis of their opinions of the candidate's character than on the exact positions of the candidate.
-- Not related to the argument.

(D) People regard a political candidate more favorably if they think that the candidate respects an opponent's position even while disagreeing with it.
-- No question about the opponent's position. Hence D is not a correct answer choice.

(E) Political candidates have to address audiences of many different sizes and at many different locations in the course of a political campaign.
Totally irrelevant.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Cleantech
Schools:Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Send PM
Kudos
I initially chose C, but after careful review, I think it's A.

the argument: "this technique is so effective is that it makes the speaker appear fair-minded and trustworthy...candidates for national political office who wish to be successful in winning votes should use this argumentative technique in their speeches."

In other words, this argument technique is effective because it makes the candidate appear more trustworthy and therefore enhances the public's opinion of the candidate's character.

When you look at C, it actually strengthens the conclusion: "People decide which political candidate to vote for more on the basis of their opinions of the candidate's character than on the exact positions of the candidate."

All other choices can be eliminated by POE, answer is A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
Kudos
A. Political candidates typically have no control over which excerpts from their speeches will be reported by the news media.

Weakens, because in this case the technique will not be effective

C. People decide which political candidate to vote for more on the basis of their opinions of the candidate's character than on the exact positions of the candidate.

Argument does not concentrate on position of candidate, rather it concentrates on specific technique. So, out

A wins
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General Management, Economics
Schools: Tuck '19
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Audiences find a speaker more convincing if the speaker begins a speec [#permalink]
rockubabe wrote:
Audiences find a speaker more convincing if the speaker begins a speech by arguing briefly against his or her position before providing reasons for accepting it. The reason this technique is so effective is that it makes the speaker appear fair-minded and trustworthy. Therefore, candidates for national political office who wish to be successful in winning votes should use this argumentative technique in their speeches.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously limits the effectiveness of adopting the argument's recommendation?

(A) Political candidates typically have no control over which excerpts from their speeches will be reported by the news media.
(B) Many people do not find arguments made by politicians convincing, since the arguments are often one-sided or oversimplify the issues.
(C) People decide which political candidate to vote for more on the basis of their opinions of the candidate's character than on the exact positions of the candidate.
(D) People regard a political candidate more favorably if they think that the candidate respects an opponent's position even while disagreeing with it.
(E) Political candidates have to address audiences of many different sizes and at many different locations in the course of a political campaign.

Hello Mike,

could you please help me with above question?

Premise 1: Argue against your position before supporting it
Premise 2: shows you as fair minded and trustworthy
conclusion: to win votes use above technique

The OA given is A.

I am not comfortable with A, since we need to assume that medium used is only news media.
I choose C. C accepts character(premise 2) without position (premise 1). By whatever means if you establish character, you win votes. Hence i feel C weakens.

Could you please point what I missed here?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mjana89 wrote:
Hello Mike,

could you please help me with above question?

Premise 1: Argue against your position before supporting it
Premise 2: shows you as fair minded and trustworthy
conclusion: to win votes use above technique

The OA given is A.

I am not comfortable with A, since we need to assume that medium used is only news media.
I choose C. C accepts character(premise 2) without position (premise 1). By whatever means if you establish character, you win votes. Hence i feel C weakens.

Could you please point what I missed here?

Dear mjana89,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

I don't know the source of this question, but I think it's a good question, and a tricky one.

Our job is to find a weakener, something that weakens the argument. I would say that, while (C) is a weakener in a way, it's not a strong weakener. By contrast, (A) is a powerful weakener.

First, let's look at (C):
The exact wording is crucial here. This is NOT saying that the exact positions are NOT influential in how people choose. Instead, it's saying that the candidate's character is most important, and the exact opinions are less important than character but not necessarily unimportant. If I deeply admire the character of Candidate X, but then Candidate X starts espousing opinions with which I completely disagree, according to this answer choice, those opinions are NOT going to have zero effect on me: in fact, with enough individual opinions on which I and Candidate X disagree, I might vote against Candidate X despite his admirable character. This choice leaves open this possibility, so it's still somewhat important for Candidate X to be persuasive. This choice, we might say, lessens the impact of the argument, reduces the urgency of the point being made, but doesn't obliterate the argument.

Now, let's look at (A):

First of all, I am not sure that I understand the distinction you are drawing between the "news media" and "media" in general. This is not a distinction that occurs in the argument itself. In my mind, "news media" means any reporting about current events on TV, on the radio, on internet news sites, or in printed newspapers and news journals. Insofar as one can glean facts about current events from, say, Wikipedia or Facebook, we could have to include those sites as "news media." Even humorous shows, such as Stephen Colbert's late night program, would be considered "new media" insofar as he discusses, analyzes, and lampoons current events. By definition, any form of media in which the opinions & words & actions of currently campaigning politicians were presented and/or discussed would have to be "news media." The kind of media that would not be "news media" at all would be, for example, the cooking channel, or an all-music radio station, or a website about the history of bowling---places in which absolutely no mention of current events would be made.

I think (A) is a brilliant and subtle OA. Suppose I am the candidate. Suppose my position is that I want to lower taxes for the middle class, and I want people to associate me with that position. Suppose I follow the advice in this argument, and begin a speech with two minutes about how raising taxes on the middle class might be beneficial for the country before I go on to explain why I think lowering these taxes is a better idea. Well, then it's certainly possible--in fact, given the proclivities of the media, somewhat predictable--that the next day there would be headlines screaming: "Mike Says Taxing the Middle Class a Good Idea!" Thus, the few people who heard my whole speech or took the time to read the transcript of the whole speech would understand my real position, but I don't think it's a wild assumption to say that many many more people know just the screaming headlines than know all the facts. Thus, I would be strongly associated with a position that is not mine, and this could be devastating to my election hopes. Thus, (A) is a powerful weakener and is the best answer.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM