It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 15:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Audiences find a speaker more convincing if the speaker

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Audiences find a speaker more convincing if the speaker [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2010, 11:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:42) correct 53% (01:33) wrong based on 505 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Audiences find a speaker more convincing if the speaker begins a speech by arguing briefly against his or her position before providing reasons for accepting it. The reason this technique is so effective is that it makes the speaker appear fair-minded and trustworthy. Therefore, candidates for national political office who wish to be successful in winning votes should use this argumentative technique in their speeches.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously limits the effectiveness of adopting the argument's recommendation?

(A) Political candidates typically have no control over which excerpts from their speeches will be reported by the news media.
(B) Many people do not find arguments made by politicians convincing, since the arguments are often one-sided or oversimplify the issues.
(C) People decide which political candidate to vote for more on the basis of their opinions of the candidate's character than on the exact positions of the candidate.
(D) People regard a political candidate more favorably if they think that the candidate respects an opponent's position even while disagreeing with it.
(E) Political candidates have to address audiences of many different sizes and at many different locations in the course of a political campaign.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Re: Political candidate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2010, 12:02
This post received
KUDOS
the Answer is A because the media can misconstrue the first part of the candidate's speech to be the position of the candidate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2010, 15:44
rockubabe wrote:
Audiences find a speaker more convincing if the speaker begins a speech by arguing briefly against his or her position before providing reasons for accepting it. The reason this technique is so effective is that it makes the speaker appear fair-minded and trustworthy. Therefore, candidates for national political office who wish to be successful in winning votes should use this argumentative technique in their speeches.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously limits the effectiveness of adopting the argument's recommendation?

(A) Political candidates typically have no control over which excerpts from their speeches will be reported by the news media.
(B) Many people do not find arguments made by politicians convincing, since the arguments are often one-sided or oversimplify the issues.
(C) People decide which political candidate to vote for more on the basis of their opinions of the candidate's character than on the exact positions of the candidate.
(D) People regard a political candidate more favorably if they think that the candidate respects an opponent's position even while disagreeing with it.
(E) Political candidates have to address audiences of many different sizes and at many different locations in the course of a political campaign.

Even if the answer is A, i find it unconvincing.
Nothing is mentioned about news media in the passage, there is no mention of whether the public will be reading news papers or watching news, the only information is that
people prefer candidates who argue againist their own views before supporting, hence such system should be followed.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2010, 20:21
Thanks for the question :-)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2010, 01:50
I Feel answer to be C and not A .

Experts Help . :cry:

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2010, 08:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Me too, I think answer is C rather than A. It is not given how the candidate is addressing the nation. In case he is addressing through media A makes sense, but he might be addressing public in a rally etc. Assumption A forces us to make is that all the candidate speeches will be covered by media.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2010, 10:16
I fell for C as well. I immediately eliminated A for out of scope.
I am trying to convince myself why A is right instead of C.
Can anybody explain why C is wrong?
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2010, 10:36
This post received
KUDOS
Its upto the media which part of the speech they are going to highlight.

This argument does not make a vital assumption that media can select whichever part of the candidate's speech they want. It also make a faulty assumption that media is going to print all of the speech to cause the desired effect on audience - the so called effect of taking a "contrary position first". Hence its vulnerable.

C is shift in focus. "opinions of the candidate's character". Arguing back by "opinion" is not the same as hitting on the "techniques" used in the candidate's speech. The argument is using the premise that "argumentative technique" are useful in winning the votes. Clearly C is scope shift.

A is correct.

rockubabe wrote:
I fell for C as well. I immediately eliminated A for out of scope.
I am trying to convince myself why A is right instead of C.
Can anybody explain why C is wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2010, 19:16
agree with explanation given by BlueRobin ..... go with C ..eventhough the OA is A..
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2010, 11:36
I too chose C but am now convinced A is right. Its a pretty good question. Problem with C is: it could be true that people choose their votes on the basis of their perception of characters of the candidates. It's still perfectly possible that those who are are able use the argumentative technique suggested in the passage happen to be the ones who are favorably disposed (or vice versa). It's equally likely - so people's opinions have little bearing on whether the argumentative technique suggested would be successful or not.

But if the media can influence what gets to the public - the argumentative technique ALONE will not be useful because then the role of media will also have to be taken into account.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2010, 23:10
Even I am with C. The problem I see with A is that, we are assuming that people are affected by media which might not always be true.. With C, if people decide on the character instead of the positions that a candidate takes, the position taken by the candidate is unnecessary and that strongly limits the effectiveness of the argumentative campaign.

Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2010, 23:42
The question stem specifically asks which of the following would weaken effectiveness of adopting the argument's recommendation,, option A has nothing whatsoever to do with limiting that recommendation it just says that media can selectively print the speech, but the author is making a point about the which technique a leader should choose while making a speech so print media would be out of scope of the argument.

even i agree with option C
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2010, 06:30
I go for C as well....Could someone please explain how it can be A??...Where has the media been mentioned in the premise?? May be just to convince ourselves we might search for the reason y it could be A...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2010, 11:35
This post received
KUDOS
-- This statement if true will definitely make the augmentative technique less effective. If the media reports only the starting part of the speech, the whole purpose of the speech will get void. Hence A is a correct answer choice.

-- Irrelevant.

-- Not related to the argument.

-- No question about the opponent's position. Hence D is not a correct answer choice.

Totally irrelevant.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2010, 11:53
This post received
KUDOS
I initially chose C, but after careful review, I think it's A.

the argument: "this technique is so effective is that it makes the speaker appear fair-minded and trustworthy...candidates for national political office who wish to be successful in winning votes should use this argumentative technique in their speeches."

In other words, this argument technique is effective because it makes the candidate appear more trustworthy and therefore enhances the public's opinion of the candidate's character.

When you look at C, it actually strengthens the conclusion: "People decide which political candidate to vote for more on the basis of their opinions of the candidate's character than on the exact positions of the candidate."

All other choices can be eliminated by POE, answer is A.
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2010, 06:58
weird question. We are making lots of assumptions in choosing A. Even C is not a strong contender.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.56
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Audiences find a speaker more convincing if the speaker [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2015, 04:20
C is not correct coz it says that people vote on the basis of their perception of the candidates character. In the argument it is clearly written that those who take this kind of argumentative speech wll be perceived as trustworthy which defines the character of the politician
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 05:37
I strongly feel the answer can't be A.. If the character of the candidate matters more than his/her position on an issue, no matter what the candidate says or what the press reports, the voters will not change their view of him/her.. Hence C for me.. I am just not convinced with A..

Experts please help.. Cheers!! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 23:01
rockubabe wrote:

Dear Experts,

Please advise how option A is correct Answer here.

I feel B is correct since Many people (means 99 out of 100 - can we consider like this for many)- do not find arguments made by politicians convincing, since the arguments are often one-sided or oversimplify the issues.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G
Schools: Cambridge'16

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 03:45
This post received
KUDOS
A. Political candidates typically have no control over which excerpts from their speeches will be reported by the news media.

Weakens, because in this case the technique will not be effective

C. People decide which political candidate to vote for more on the basis of their opinions of the candidate's character than on the exact positions of the candidate.

Argument does not concentrate on position of candidate, rather it concentrates on specific technique. So, out

A wins
Re: Audiences find a speaker more convincing if the speaker   [#permalink] 18 May 2016, 03:45

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Audiences find a speaker more convincing if the speaker

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap