It is currently 28 Jun 2017, 14:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the el

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the el [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 09:35
(a)that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal,and its trunk originally evolved ...to what its referring is not clear
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving ....awkward
(c)suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving ..change meaning
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving ..change meaning
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved..correct
VP
VP
S
Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the el [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 08:25
GMAT TIGER wrote:
Amardeep Sharma wrote:
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a)..
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(c)suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

Amar

It is an example of how tricky can gmat questions be.

Most of the people are intimidited by A but the problem is with "its", which refers to elephant's.

If the setence were not properly paralled without "that x ......... and that y ......", "its" is never be a clear referant for "elephant". That construction is only in E, which is tghe best and OA.

excellent posting for us to know.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 12:47
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2017, 18:01
Quote:
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
The sentence is trying to tell us that the evidence suggests two things: 1) that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and 2) that the elephant's trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel; in order to avoid a parallelism issue, we would have to change, "..., and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel" to "and that its trunk evolved as a kind of snorkel." Furthermore, this sentence has a string of relative clauses ("evidence that suggests that the elephant...", and the GMAT considers it "awkward and confusing to string together relative clauses." For these two reasons, choice A can be eliminated.

(B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
The simple present tense ("suggests") should be used instead of the present perfect tense ("has suggested") because we are describing a present action (what is the evidence currently doing?) and not referring to what the evidence was doing in the past. Present perfect is typically used to describe how long an action has been going on, for example, "For the past 100 years, most evidence has suggested (present perfect) that the elephant is descended from a land animal; however, new evidence suggests (simple present) that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal." Furthermore, a past tense should be used instead of "evolving" because we are talking about a past action (how the trunk evolved in the past, not how it is evolving now), so choice B can be eliminated.

(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
This choice can easily be eliminated because the past perfect ("had descended") is not the appropriate tense (we do not have two past actions occurring at different times). Also, a past tense should be used instead of "evolving" (see choice B notes).

(D) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
Again, the past perfect ("had descended") is not the appropriate tense. Also, this choice contains a parallelism issue ("its trunk originally evolving..." is not parallel to "that the elephant had descended.."), and a past tense should be used instead of "evolving" (see choice B notes).

(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
Here the infinitive "to suggest" is properly used as an adjective to modify "evidence". This choice also avoids parallelism issues ("suggest that the elephant is descended... and that its trunk originally evolved..."). The predicate adjective "descended" follows the linking verb "is" and properly modifies "the elephant". This might not sound right because we are used to hearing "descend" used as a verb (ie "I descended a flight a stairs."), but you shouldn't trust your ear when analyzing SC problems! Choice E is correct.

www.gmatninja.com

Join us for the verbal experts' live chat every Wednesday, 8 am PST/8:30 pm IST! Details available here.

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 03:20
Top Contributor

(A) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
(B) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(C) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(D) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(E) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

One useful thing to remember in this context is the difference in meaning between is descended and has descended. Is descended is a linking or extant verb that denotes a state of being. There is no action involved in it. On the other hand, 'has descended' means going down effortfully as in descending from the top floor to the ground floor. There is an action involved in it. 'Is descended' is mostly used in genealogy and genetics, in which we refer to some traits that are derived from their ancestors. This knowledge will help us to get rid of B, C, and D. Now between A and E, it will not be difficult to dislodge A for using missing the 'that' //ism. It is E.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 09:33
[quote="BM"]Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

(a) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
(b) that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
(c) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
(d) to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolving
(e) to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

it should be "evolved" and not "evolving" so A and E remains. As per parallel structure A is correct.

B,C, and D have wrong tense issues as well.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 21:40
BM wrote:

(a) that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
(c) suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Although we certainly don't hear it often, "is descended" is correct. For example:

We are descended from the chimpanzee.
He is a direct descendant of Charles the Great.

But I do agree that the phrase looks odd on paper.

Is it fine to write "Australian embryologists have found evidence to suggests" . My understanding says that it should be "That" and not "To" "Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests" . Please someone put some light on this .
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
B

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 12:03
gmat4varun wrote:
BM wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Although we certainly don't hear it often, "is descended" is correct. For example:

We are descended from the chimpanzee.
He is a direct descendant of Charles the Great.

But I do agree that the phrase looks odd on paper.

Is it fine to write "Australian embryologists have found evidence to suggests" . My understanding says that it should be "That" and not "To" "Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests" . Please someone put some light on this .

Hello gmat4varun,

Thank you for the query. :-)

The correct official sentence uses the expression Australian embryologists have found evidence to suggest. We know that the correct answers of official sentences are always correct. Hence, we should not doubt them. Rather, we should learn from them those correct usages we are not aware of.

See, there is no issue in the expression Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests. Undoubtedly, this expression conveys the intended meaning clearly. However, there is no issue with Australian embryologists have found evidence to suggest either.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 02:01
[quote="BM"]Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.

only choice E make "its truck" refer to "elephant". in other choices, "its trunks" are ambiguous.
choice E use second "that" , so,the clause "its trunk evolve...." is parallel to "elephant is..." . and because of this paralelism, "its trunk" refer clearly to "elephant".

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 13:11
Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an
aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving as a kind of snorkel.

A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolving
The evidence suggested 2 things (i) that the elephant ….and (ii) that its trunk ….
However, the second “that” is missing in the sentence.
Also, we need a verb in place of a verb-ing “evolving”

B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
“has suggested” incorrect Tense.. We need simple present tense to express that the evidence suggests X and Y..

C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolved
“evidences that suggesting that” !!!
Pretty awkward…
“evidence suggesting that” would have been better ..
Also the usage of “with its …” is incorrect as this should be a separate clause to emphasize that the evidence suggests two things…

D. to suggest that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
As clarified in Option A second “that” is missing

E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved
Correct

https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-journey-last-2-week-s-journey-650-to-233370.html#p1799551

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 10:44
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I got asked to take this one on by private message, so here I am! The answer is certainly E.

PROBLEM: There's no reason to use a comma with a list of two things.

PROBLEM: You have to say "that" after the verb "to suggest".

PROBLEM: The use of the past perfect tense here is incorrect, because the action isn't complete. I know it may seem like the descent has ended, but in the present, the elephant is STILL descended from an aquatic animal. That's an eternal truth. Also, using the prepositional phrase "with its trunk originally evolving" ends up modifying "an aquatic animal", when we really want to be referring to the elephant.

(D) to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
PROBLEM: We don't want to change tense in parallel unless there's a significant reason ("yesterday I went to the store but today I will stay at home"). No good reason from present perfect "has descended" to past "evolved".

ANSWER: "descended" and "evolved" are parallel, and everything else is clear.

Hope that helps!

-t

I thought commas will not be tested in gmat?
What makes A wrong is the commas, right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 10:46
A is not parallel in not only logic but also grammar because of "and".
Re: Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the el   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2017, 10:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 52 posts ]