It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 08:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 41

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2016, 10:29
I am confused over the second option. Option B says that the in recent years many more PZ 1000's have been sold than any other kind of car in its class. If the number of cars sold is very large, then average number of accidents per car [ total accidents/ total no of cars] would be low. This means that average number of injuries per accident for all the PZ cars would be low. So, can't we say that this option also weakens the argument? Since average number of low accidents is just because of large number of sales and the car could be actually not that safe.

I agree with option C also, but I am not convinced with the OG's explanation [High sales indicate it is actually safer and hence strengthens] for option B. Could somebody please explain where am I wrong [if].

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 41

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 57

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5
Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 14:07
RaghavSingla wrote:
I am confused over the second option. Option B says that the in recent years many more PZ 1000's have been sold than any other kind of car in its class. If the number of cars sold is very large, then average number of accidents per car [ total accidents/ total no of cars] would be low. This means that average number of injuries per accident for all the PZ cars would be low. So, can't we say that this option also weakens the argument? Since average number of low accidents is just because of large number of sales and the car could be actually not that safe.

I agree with option C also, but I am not convinced with the OG's explanation [High sales indicate it is actually safer and hence strengthens] for option B. Could somebody please explain where am I wrong [if].

Hi,
This doesn't weaken the argument if you read the line The Highway Traffic Safety Institute reports that the PZ 1000 has the fewest injuries per accident of any car in its class in argument carefully . option B
(B) In recently years many more PZ 1000â€s have been sold than have any other kind of car in its class. Since, it is about injuries per accident , you can't get injuries corresponding to whole pz cars given by the statement that it sold more than others.for example only few cars of Pz are involved in accidents than others than this will strengthen the argument. So , option 'B' is irrelevant.However, in option 'C' it says it is involved in accidents higly than others . This means the number of injuries caused by this car is more , hence weaken the fact that it is safe than others. Hope it is clear :)

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 57

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 23

Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 04:59
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone please explain this question Confused between Option C and D.

D states that the difference is quite pronounced.

The question states that fewest among other cars.

Implying that the car has indeed a pronounced advantage in the no. of injuries/ accident

This is actually strengthening the argument. And can't be the answer

Kudos if I helped ;)

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 23

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 14

WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 01:38
anuramm wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 24
Page: 124
Difficulty:

Automobile Dealer's Advertisement:

The Highway Traffic Safety Institute reports that the PZ 1000 has the fewest injuries per accident of any car in its class. This shows that the PZ 1000 is one of the safest cars available today.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in the advertisement?

(A) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute report listed many cars in other classes that had more injuries per accident than did the PZ 1000.
(B) In recently years many more PZ 1000s have been sold than have any other kind of car in its class.
(C) Cars in the class to which the PZ 1000 belongs are more likely to be involved in accidents than are other types of cars.
(D) The difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class is quite pronounced.
(E) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute issues reports only once a year.

Tricky one: author states that PZ1000 suffered fewest injuries per accident in its class. therefore it is one of the safest car.

What if class to which PZ1000 belongs, other car suffers injuries such as 1000000000 in a month :-D and PZ1000 suffers 100000 accident in a month. Though PZ1000 suffers fewest accident. Do you think you would sit in such a car ??

Option C is what we want.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 14

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 16:36

The Highway Traffic Safety Institute reports that the PZ 1000 has the fewest injuries per accident of any car in its class. This shows that the PZ 1000 is one of the safest cars available today.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument in the advertisement?

(A) The Highway Traffic Safety Institute report listed many cars in other classes that had more injuries per accident than did the PZ 1000.
each clss has its highest and the lowest. does not weaken

(B) In recently years many more PZ 1000s have been sold than have any other kind of car in its class.
the number of cars sold is out of scope we are focusing on the accident data
(C) Cars in the class to which the PZ 1000 belongs are more likely to be involved in accidents than are other types of cars.
the choice weakens the argument by stating that the data collected for the PZ1000s is lot more then athe other cars,that means that the accident data is larger than the other cars it means that the car may have large number of injuries or less number of injuries ,this weakens the argument.

(D) The difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class is quite pronounced.
does not weaken.

irrelevant.

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 18

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 199

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 08:05
W (Weaken): Conclusion PZ1000 is the safest car
Missing info : Is the class in which PZ1000 belongs to the safest class among all classes of cars?

Actually supporting the conclusion to some extent.

(B) In recent years many more PZ 1000s have been sold than have any other kind of car in its class.
Irrelevant, as the premise made a point about safety in terms of injuries per accident and not total injuries or total accidents.

Perfect Weakener. It says, the car belongs to ‘most accident prone’ category / class. So being safest in this category does not make it safest of all the classes

Okay the difference is pronounced but on is it in favour of PZ1000 or against it ?
Half information ….Can’t help answering the question.

Irrelevant.

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 199

Manager
Manager
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 135

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 08:34
What do we mean when we say that the difference is quite pronounced??

D. The difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class is quite pronounced.

As per my understanding, it means that there is quite a difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class. So, it strengthens above conclusion.

Can someone comment on this?? I am not getting the actual meaning of this option? mikemcgarry

Regards,
Varun

Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8751 [1], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 12:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
vnigam21 wrote:
What do we mean when we say that the difference is quite pronounced??

D. The difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class is quite pronounced.

As per my understanding, it means that there is quite a difference between the number of injuries per accident for the PZ 1000 and that for other cars in its class. So, it strengthens above conclusion.

Can someone comment on this?? I am not getting the actual meaning of this option? mikemcgarry

Dear vnigam21

I'm happy to respond. :-) Like all official questions, this one is brilliant.

First of all, you are correct in the basic word usage. The word "pronounced" is an idiomatic intensifier with a few words, such as "difference." A "pronounced difference" is a fancy way to say "a very big difference" or "quite a difference."

We already know that the PZ 1000 has fewer accidents than other cars in its class, and (D) emphasizes this: it has many many fewer accidents than other cars in its class. Thus, it is really far and away the best in its class. But, that still leave the issue: how safe is this class of cars? If this is a class of the most accident prone cars on the road, then being the best in that class would not really be a ringing endorsement. Because we are doubt on this, (D) is not the strongest strengthener. By contrast, (C) nails this issue, and is the best answer.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8751 [1], given: 105

Manager
Manager
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 21:12
I am convinced that option C is the best answer. But after going this thread what I can see is that most of the people have commented for option E is that its irrelevant.

But as per my understanding its not irrelevant. It also slightly weakens the conclusion of the argument. But it is not as good a option as option C. Can someone comment on this option, in more detail? chiranjeev

Regards,
Varun

Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8751 [0], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 14:22
vnigam21 wrote:
I am convinced that option C is the best answer. But after going this thread what I can see is that most of the people have commented for option E is that its irrelevant.

But as per my understanding its not irrelevant. It also slightly weakens the conclusion of the argument. But it is not as good a option as option C. Can someone comment on this option, in more detail? chiranjeev

Dear vnigam21,

I'm happy to help. :-)

In connection with this question, I will recommend this blog article:
GMAT Critical Reasoning and Outside Knowledge
Students have the mistaken impression that all outside knowledge is irrelevant to the GMAT CR. Yes, very specific knowledge is irrelevant: in this case, we can't even have specific knowledge about the PZ 1000, because it's entirely a work of fiction. Nevertheless, it's very important to have a real-world business sense.

For example, how long does it take to redesign a car? What is the process from drawing board to released product available to consumers? If you plan to get an MBA, this is an excellent thing to know and understand, not only for cars but for all kinds of products. Business schools prefer that people walk in with these basic kinds of knowledge already, and the GMAT rewards such knowledge.

Generally, from design to finished product, for a car, takes 2-3 years. Toyota is an exceptional company: they can have something out and on the road in a year, which is simply mind-blowing.

OK, that's some relevant real world knowledge.

Now, let's look at this argument. The advertiser claims that the PZ 1000 is a safe as a kitten. What's wrong with this claim?

You say that (E) is not irrelevant.

Are you imagining that the car's design might change, inside of year's time, from something very safe to something no so safe? Given the sheer time span that it takes to redesign a particular car, this seems irrelevant.

You see, outside general knowledge about how industries work is not so much helpful for getting the answer, but it does make the irrelevant information a little clearer.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8751 [0], given: 105

1 KUDOS received
Mannheim Thread Master
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [1], given: 51

GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 23:14
This post received
KUDOS
Answer choice 'C' only weakens the argument.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Kudos [?]: 27 [1], given: 51

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 132

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 13:04

If other classes of cars have more # of accidents, then this option will strengthen the argument.

Out of scope

Correct. If this segment of cars are involved in more accidents, then PZ1000 can't be safer than other types of car. This argument is basically a causal type, since the author compares the # of accidents within a type of car and then proclaims it as the BEST amongst all cars. This option rightly compares the segment of cars to which PZ1000 belongs with the other segment of cars.

This definitely strengthens the argument

Out of scope

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 132

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1056

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 10:49
there is no pattern in this question, but test takers must use logic and common sense to see the weakener.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1056

Re: Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2017, 10:49

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

Automobile Dealers Advertisement: The Highway Traffic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap