Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [2]
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: b-school interview attire [#permalink]
Kudos
bakfed wrote:
so exactly what are cufflinks for? I just don't see too many of them around; but then again, I don't see a bunch of suits everyday either.

bpenn: yes, this is for Tuck's interview. I'll be there on Sunday and my interview is on Monday. I can only stay until about 1:30pm on Monday before I have to drive back to Boston to catch my flight :?

shaselai: unfortunately, I don't have a pure black suit, which is something I'm contemplating about purchasing. But as of right now, I'll have to go with my dark grey suit...

I'll be making that same drive, looking forward to it actually. Also, you'll be fine with dark grey, I'll probably wear a charcoal grey suit myself.

Anyway, back to cuff links. French cuff is just a different cut for the end of sleeve on a shirt. A french cuff is double long, then folds back on itself. It doesn't have any buttons sewn on, just 4 holes (remember, folded back on itself) so you can run a piece of metal or fabric through the cuff to secure it. That's basically it. Its not very practical or functional, that's why I said its stylistic. In fact, I used to get double button cuffs on a lot of my shirts, but now I just stick with single button for the most part. Its just easier, and since I'm now married I'm not out wooing young women with my amazing french cuffs anyway ;)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
shaselai wrote:
never owned cuff links... i would wear a black suit, black/blue shirt, black/gray pants and a tie...

on a side note, do people take off their suits once in the room or gonna wear it throughout? i kinda get nervous with suit on heh...

I'd stay away from a black suit if possible - traditional business colors are charcoal/dark gray or navy blue. Definitely stay away from a black shirt with a dark suit. You're interviewing for business school, not a supporting role in a mafia movie.

You're best bet is to stay conservative: gray/navy suit, white or light blue shirt, basic tie, black shoes. And you keep the suit jacket on during the interview unless the interviewer specifically invites you to take it off.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
hi all, I have a question regarding to the proper attire to be in as one goes for business school interviews. I'm going for the traditional colors (dark suits and white shirt, black belt and dress shoes). Anyway, I have just realized that I have never really owned a set of cufflinks. I don't understand the reasoning behind cufflinks. What are cufflinks for and are they necessary for b-school interview?

Thanks!

In my opinion, NO, absolutely not. Cuff links, again, in my opinion, are flash and style. I own several french cuff shirts and I would never wear one to a job interview. If you wear a tux, its good formal protocol, otherwise its just stylistic. The cuff links I own are very classic styled tiffany silver that dont draw a lot of attention, but they're still not conservative in the sense that wearing cuff links is not conservative. Just my thoughts, but I would stay away from them for this occasion.

By the way, you preping for Tuck interview? I'll be there on the 22nd.

Best,
Brad
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
I own a set of cuff links that say DAWG on them.

In all seriousness, I would not wear cuff links to networking/interviews. Like the poster above, they are way too flashy.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
never owned cuff links... i would wear a black suit, black/blue shirt, black/gray pants and a tie...

on a side note, do people take off their suits once in the room or gonna wear it throughout? i kinda get nervous with suit on heh...
Retired Moderator
Send PM
so exactly what are cufflinks for? I just don't see too many of them around; but then again, I don't see a bunch of suits everyday either.

bpenn: yes, this is for Tuck's interview. I'll be there on Sunday and my interview is on Monday. I can only stay until about 1:30pm on Monday before I have to drive back to Boston to catch my flight :?

shaselai: unfortunately, I don't have a pure black suit, which is something I'm contemplating about purchasing. But as of right now, I'll have to go with my dark grey suit...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
shaselai wrote:

I'd stay away from a black suit if possible - traditional business colors are charcoal/dark gray or navy blue. Definitely stay away from a black shirt with a dark suit. You're interviewing for business school, not a supporting role in a mafia movie.

You're best bet is to stay conservative: gray/navy suit, white or light blue shirt, basic tie, black shoes. And you keep the suit jacket on during the interview unless the interviewer specifically invites you to take it off.

This is the advice to stick with.

And to cover all of the bases: Button just the top button of your suit jacket and leave it buttoned until you sit down, at which point you unbutton it.
Current Student
Send PM
silly question but no one else mentioned pants - is it supposed to be matching color to the suit or dress pants are good?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
my dress pants is a matching set with the suit (I got the 2-piece altogether). I think it'll be best to match with the jacket color since I really don't want look like I'm a person who's sporting 6 different colors going into the interview.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
silly question but no one else mentioned pants - is it supposed to be matching color to the suit or dress pants are good?

Your pants should match the jacket, ideally purchased as a matching set. If you mix & match, it will likely be obvious that the items are made from different fabrics.

If you wear a suit, shirt, and tie combination similar to what Jerz has described, you'll be fine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Schools:Booth class of 2013
 Q51  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Send PM
What about off-campus interviews with alumni? Does the same formal attire apply?

I'm unsure where alum typically schedule interviews (coffee shops? their office?). It might be weird to be the only one at whatever venue with formal attire on, let alone a suit. In the absence of information, I'd run with donning a suit, of course, but just thought I'd check.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
wiredo wrote:
What about off-campus interviews with alumni? Does the same formal attire apply?

I'm unsure where alum typically schedule interviews (coffee shops? their office?). It might be weird to be the only one at whatever venue with formal attire on, let alone a suit. In the absence of information, I'd run with donning a suit, of course, but just thought I'd check.

My belief is that it's always better to be over-dressed than under-dressed. When dealing with an interview, always wear the suit. In fact, I'd say that when dealing with admissions staff, alumni, the school itself, etc. etc. etc, wear the suit.

Wearing a suit isnt seen as goofy or 'over the top' in the eyes of your interviewer, even if they are not wearing one. It's professional and shows you are serious.

There's too much to think about before/during/after an interview -- dont let your clothes be one of them. Wear the suit and dont worry about it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
I think black suits are fine, I have interviewed with them many times (pinstriped) though.
Current Student
Send PM
Dawgie wrote:
I think black suits are fine, I have interviewed with them many times (pinstriped) though.

do interviewers really care that much about what colors? its picking talents not best dressed.
Director
Director
Send PM
wiredo wrote:

From what I've read in the past, alumni interviewers will tell you ahead of time if they want you to arrive in business casual, etc. If they don't give you any specific information, I'd go with the suit (as you've stated you would).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I wear french cuffed shirts and cuff links almost exclusively. I think it depends on the style, I don't any with a white collar and cuffs which I think look dated. I know a lot of folks who rocked cuff links at business school.
Director
Director
Send PM
jbharris88 wrote:
Cuff links are fine in everyday business wear, but I would NOT wear them for interviews at b-school or otherwise. Same goes with pocket squares, flashy socks, etc. I own all these things and they are a part of my personality, but when it comes to interviewing you don't want to stand out for the wrong reasons. I think cuff links would be fine for something like an information session or something more casual even though they are generally thought to be more formal. I would go with something like fabric knot links instead of flashy metal generally.

As far as suits go, the pieces must match. If they don't then you are not wearing a suit, but a pants and sportcoat. Do NOT wear a black suit under any circumstance unless it is a formal event, a funeral, or you work in the hospitality industry. Some people may disagree with this statement, but trust me, knowing that some of the guys at top banks and consulting firms are knowledgeable of fashion, they all know this rule and you don't want to stand out for the wrong reasons. Stick with something conservative: plain charcoal/gray or blue or something subtle if it is a pinstripe.

Cufflinks, contrast cuffs, bold pinstripes all say executive. You are not one yet, so don't act like it. Tie bars and pocket squares say fashion forward, not conservative.

And above all, if you are interviewing at Tuck, shouldn't you just wear your bow-tie? :lol:

Agree 100%. +1 for including accessories :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2