Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: B-School Selection Advice - Indian, Male, High GMAT, low GPA [#permalink]
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
A few reflections on the profile TTPi:
  1. The overall profile does sound interesting. It is not clear however if any of your professional experience is outside India or within? International experience can help further add weight to the profile. The 3d printing angle is nice but will need to be contextualized in terms of your post-MBA plans well.
  2. For reasons mentioned , we do not speculate on school selection. That said, the GPA will remain a factor especially at top schools. You will have to utilize that optional essay well and hope for the best. The fact that your undergrad is not a top brand can further take away the sheen on this. While at first look your current target set might look a bit under-balled, it is not a bad strategy overall. It would be good however to balance it out with some more aggressive schools in the list.
  3. The ECs will provide a nice touch to the personality - use them well.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Thanks for sharing your perspective. My work experience is primarily in India, while my education (undergraduate specifically) is in the US. I do understand your point of adding a few aggressive targets - which is what I was hoping to get a few responses on.

Tech-focused schools such as Tepper, Ross (maybe?) and perhaps McCombs may overlook my GPA and consider the rest of my profile - however, I would like to confirm if these are aggressive options. Not keen on graduating from a tier 2 US MBA and having visa/hiring issues.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EduSimplified wrote:
TTPi wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for help with narrowing down on B-schools (to begin in 2018), based on my interests and background.

Any advice on school selection/approach would be great - and most appreciated. Thanks!

Hi there,

You have an excellent profile and a very well rounded one at that. You are right in thinking that other aspects of your profile cover the pitfall made by your low GPA, especially your high GMAT score.
I think you are aiming low, you can aim for any school really. Shortlist schools based on your learning and career goals. For instance, INSEAD & Ivey will be excellent schools if you want to get into MBB firms. To answer your questions, I think you have a realistic shot at all the schools you have mentioned above such as Ross, Cornell and Tepper. Hope this helps. And please don't hesitate to contact me should you need any help.

Best,

Thanks for the frank advice - hoping for a few more responses. I recently received a rejection from INSEAD - so that clearly is too aggressive a target. In this context, needed help in identifying which schools may overlook my GPA, and probably have a focus on Consulting / Tech, and is open to Indian male applicants (the trend seems to be averse).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
TTPi wrote:
Thanks for sharing your perspective. My work experience is primarily in India, while my education (undergraduate specifically) is in the US. I do understand your point of adding a few aggressive targets - which is what I was hoping to get a few responses on.

Tech-focused schools such as Tepper, Ross (maybe?) and perhaps McCombs may overlook my GPA and consider the rest of my profile - however, I would like to confirm if these are aggressive options. Not keen on graduating from a tier 2 US MBA and having visa/hiring issues.

Well like I said in my previous post, it would be purely speculative to comment on specific schools and we refrain from doing that. But it's usually tough to say such and such school will overlook your GPA. If you are looking for Tech Focused schools, evaluate the likes of Kelley/Emory too. But maybe throw in 1-2 even more aggressive schools in the list than the ones you have now.
GMAT Club Bot