GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 19:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Background information: This year, each film submitted to

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2012
Posts: 56
Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2012, 03:02
Missed this one. Felt this one was really tough for me. Came down to between D and E and chose D. :(
_________________

My attempt to capture my B-School Journey in a Blog : tranquilnomadgmat.blogspot.com

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 341
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2013, 13:04
Excellent question! I went for the trap answer. But finally chose E. :idea:
_________________

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2013
Posts: 12
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2013, 10:39
ankur55 wrote:
Background information: This year, each film submitted to the Barbizon Film Festival
was submitted in one of ten categories. For each category, there was a panel that decided
which submitted films to accept.
Fact 1: Within each category, the rate of acceptance for domestic films was the same as
that for foreign films.
Fact 2: The overall rate of acceptance of domestic films was significantly higher than
that of foreign films.
In light of the background information, which of the following, if true, can account for
fact 1 and fact 2 both being true of the submissions to this year’s Barbizon Film Festival?
A. In each category, the selection panel was composed of filmmakers, and some
selection panels included no foreign filmmakers.
B. Significantly more domestic films than foreign films were submitted to the
festival.
C. In each of the past three years, the overall acceptance rate was higher for foreign
than for domestic films, an outcome that had upset some domestic filmmakers.
D. The number of films to be selected in each category was predetermined, but in no
category was it required that the acceptance rate of foreign films should equal that
of domestic films.
E. Most foreign films, unlike most domestic films, were submitted in categories with
high prestige, but with correspondingly low rates of acceptance.


The basic assumption in the question is that foreign films made entry in all the categories.
If there be a category such as "Drama", which has nominations from only domestic producers and zero nominations from foreign producers.


Option E

Undermines this assumption if we think as following:

The rate (we assume - 50% ) will be same if we choose from any of the categories Domestic/Foreign.
But, the actual number chosen for foreign will be zero (50% of zero is zero :lol: )

So, I'll go with E 8-) 8-) 8-)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Posts: 45
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.42
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2014, 00:26
Let's make it simple.

Let there be a total of 100 domestic and foreign films.

Lets there be 2 categories- One with High acceptance(50%) and the other with Low acceptance(10%).

If 80 foreign are submitted to Low acceptance(10%) category and 20 to High acceptance(50%) category, TOTAL ACCEPTANCE=8+10=18

If 70 domestic films are submitted to High acceptance(50%) category and 30 to Low acceptance(10%) category, TOTAL ACCEPTANCE=35+3=38

Therefore E.
_________________

Best GMAT Resources downloads-
http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-of-the-best-gmat-resources-167295.html#p1329720

May we all emerge victorious :)

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Schools: NTU '17, AGSM '16
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2014, 09:12
2
IMO, B

Lets say there are three categories (for the sake of clarity)

a b c
Dom: 10 (5) 20 (16) 30(6)
For: 20 (10) 10(08) 20(4)

Fig outside brackets indicate no. of films submitted; and fig inside is no. acepted with an acceptance rate of 50%, 80% and 20% respectively; being the same for both categories of films.

Now, For domestic films acceptance rate is 45% while for foriegn films is 44%. The fact arising due to higher no. of films domestic films being submitted.

Why not E ?
If foreign films are not being submitted in a particular categeory their acceptance rate is 0% which is a violation of fact 1.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2014
Posts: 21
Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 13:30
Hi I cannot get why E is the correct answer. I choose D as it explains that the acceptance rate is not determined while the number of films was already predetermined. Can somebody explain for me how to deal with such a type of questions ? . Thanks
ankur55 wrote:
Background information: This year, each film submitted to the Barbizon Film Festival
was submitted in one of ten categories. For each category, there was a panel that decided
which submitted films to accept.
Fact 1: Within each category, the rate of acceptance for domestic films was the same as
that for foreign films.
Fact 2: The overall rate of acceptance of domestic films was significantly higher than
that of foreign films.
In light of the background information, which of the following, if true, can account for
fact 1 and fact 2 both being true of the submissions to this year’s Barbizon Film Festival?
A. In each category, the selection panel was composed of filmmakers, and some
selection panels included no foreign filmmakers.
B. Significantly more domestic films than foreign films were submitted to the
festival.
C. In each of the past three years, the overall acceptance rate was higher for foreign
than for domestic films, an outcome that had upset some domestic filmmakers.
D. The number of films to be selected in each category was predetermined, but in no
category was it required that the acceptance rate of foreign films should equal that
of domestic films.
E. Most foreign films, unlike most domestic films, were submitted in categories with
high prestige, but with correspondingly low rates of acceptance.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2014
Posts: 174
Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 07:34
goalsnr wrote:
Background information: This year, each film submitted to the Barbizon Film Festival was submitted in one of ten categories. For each category, there was a panel that decided which submitted films to accept.

Fact 1: Within each category, the rate of acceptance for domestic films was the same as that for foreign films.

Fact 2: The overall rate of acceptance of domestic films was significantly higher than that of foreign films.

In light of the background information, which of the following, if true, can account for fact 1 and fact 2 both being true of the submissions to this year's Barbizon Film Festival?

(A) In each category, the selection panel was composed of filmmakers, and some selection panels included no foreign filmmakers.
(B) Significantly more domestic films than foreign films were submitted to the festival.
(C) In each of the past three years, the overall acceptance rate was higher for foreign than for domestic films, an outcome that had upset some domestic filmmakers.
(D) The number of films to be selected in each category was predetermined, but in no category was it required that the acceptance rate of foreign films should equal that of domestic films.
(E) Most foreign films, unlike most domestic films, were submitted in categories with high prestige, but with correspondingly low rates of acceptance.




I have chosen C.Can anyone explain why OA is E?
E is clearly going against the first statement(fact) by declaring "low rate of acceptance".
mikemcgarry can u help?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 291
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 05:51
First of this question (originally posted a decade ago) has shown up today in my EP2 Cat 6. Second the official answer is invalid. The answer should be B as mayank760 has perfectly proved.

Option E violates the given information - Fact 1: Within each category
_________________

KUDO me plenty

Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 607
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2016, 04:48
1
The correct answer is E and not B.
Let me explain.

Option B relies on the fact that number of domestic film was higher than foreign film.
Read again what option B says:-
B) "Significantly more domestic films than foreign films were submitted to the festival."
Domestic films > Foreign films (remember this point in your head)

Lets simplify Option B to make it more fluid and straightforward. It can be simplified as

B) Number of Domestic film is more than number of foreign film.
OK !!! Everyone with me till this point ?

Now lets see what option E says
E) "Most foreign films, unlike most domestic films, were submitted in categories with high prestige, but with correspondingly low rates of acceptance"

humm... now let us simplify the statement and remove bits that author deliberately put to confuse us. The simplified statements become

E) "Most foreign films were submitted in categories in which the acceptance rate was low"


Now ask your self what does option B rely on ?
B replies on the fact that number of domestic film is higher than foreign film.
Domestic films > Foreign films (do u remember this from the start of the problem )
so according to option B ===> Domestic films = 1000 and foreign films = 500

Now if somehow we are able to prove statement 1 and 2 by doing opposite of Option B, then option B would automatically become a suspect option (Much like a DS problem in Quant )


So lets break this condition of Option B by doing the reverse
Let us make the number of foreign films greater than domestic films
so Domestic film = 500 and foreign films = 1000
Now we have broken what Option B is assuming. Recheck the original option B yourself and see that we have reversed what B is saying.

ok !! good.. everyone agree?

Now lets move to statements


Statement 1 ) Within each category, the rate of acceptance for domestic films was the same as that for foreign films.

Rather than assuming that there are 10 categories assume there are only 2 categories JURY'S AWARD and PEOPLE"S AWARD. What you can prove for two categories, you can prove for prove for n number of categories by extending the logic as we will see later. But for now just assume that there are only these 2 categories.. JURY'S AWARD and PEOPLE"S AWARD

JURY'S AWARD ACCEPTANCE RATE = 1%

If 900 Foreign films out of 1000 foreign films compete for Jury's Award:-
1% of 900 foreign films will be finally accepted = 9 Foreign Films accepted
If 100 domestic films out of total 500 compete for same Jury's award then:-
1% of 100 domestic films will be finally accepted = 1 Domestic Film accepted

Now the second category is People's Award
PEOPLE'S AWARD ACCEPTANCE RATE = 50 %

How many foreign films out of 1000 are remaining to compete in this category (1000-900)= 100 films
50% of 100 foreign films = 50 Foreign Film

How many Domestic films out of 500 are remaining to compete in this category (500-100)= 400 films
50% of 400 foreign films = 200 Domestic Film

AND we have our solution
Total number of foreign films selected out of 1000 = (9+50)= 59 Foreign Films/ Total 1000 Foreign Films ==>59/1000
Total number of domestic film = (1+200)= 201 Domestic films = 201 Domestic Films / Total 500 Domestic Film ==>201/500

so we proved that despite rates of acceptance being similar and despite sending only 500 domestic films, the overall of number of domestic film selected (201) is greater than overall number of Foreign films selected (59) which send 1000 films
This is exactly opposite to what statement B says
B) Significantly more domestic films were submitted to the festival as compared to the foreign films (NOPE ... YOU ARE WRONG)
or what we SIMPLIFIED at the start
B) Number of Domestic film is more than number of foreign film. (NOPE ... YOU ARE WRONG AGAIN)

SO B IS NOT THE ANSWER. THE ANSWER IS E WHICH I PROVEN BY THE EXPLANATION.
_________________

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 148
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 03:26
I think Its B,

Lets say if 100 local and 50 foreign movies are submitted.

rate of acceptance is same . so let rate by 10 % for both the foreign and local

so 10 % of 100 = 10 and 10 % of 50 = 5
Obviously even if the rates are same, the number will be higher for local than foreign.

I go with B

I discarded E because it says " were submitted in categories with high prestige, but with correspondinly low rates of acceptance"
here rate of acceptance of both the foreign and local are same as per fact 1
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 674
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 09:16
E for me . The best out of all B is a trap
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Feb 2015
Posts: 665
Premium Member
Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 22:39
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
_________________

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 38
Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 07:27
licampus wrote:
the right answer really is 'E',and there is a trap in 'E'
First,why is 'B' wrong,see the explanation below:
D denotes demestic films,F denotes foreign films
category 1,rate=20%
D:100*20%=20
F:20*20%=4
category 2,rate=20%
D:500*20%=100
F:100*20%=20

overall rate(D)=(20+100)/(100+500)=120/600=20%
overall rate(F)=(4+20)/(20+100)=24/120=20%

SO,more domestic films don't mean higher overall rate.

Second,'E' says MOST F were submitted in CATEGORIES with low rates
As you see,that's the category which has low rate of acceptance,NOT F has the low rate of acceptance.That is really a trap which causes you to believe that 'E' contradics fact 1.
So:
category 1,rate=20%
D:100*20%=20
F:20*20%=4
category 2,RATE=5%
D:100*5%=5
F:400*5%=20

overall rate(D)=(20+20)/(100+100)=40/200=20%
overall rate(F)=(5+20)/(20+400)=25/420=6%(approximately)

as the calculation above,that most F were in category 2 and the rate of category 2 is extremely low both to D and F,causes the overall rate of F is around 6%



Sorry, but that's because you chose an example with equal weighting across both categories. The question only says that the weighting has to be the same within categories, but each category can have different acceptance rates. Please see below example that adheres to the prompt.

Please see the below example (I'd going to reduce to 4 categories to make it a bit easier)

(first number is accepted, 2nd is submitted)
Category 1: D (2/10=20%), F (2/10=20%)
Category 2: D (2/8= 25%), F (1/4=25%)
Category 3: D (14/20=70%), F (7/10=70%)
Category 4: D (4/20=20%), F (2/10=20%)

Overall: D (22/58=37.9%), F (12/34=35.3%)

Thus, because # of domestic films was higher overall (in category 3), it had a higher overall acceptance rate. Can a verbal expert chime in here please?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Oct 2017
Posts: 1
Re: Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 14:02
Let's put it in extreme situation. Let's say there are 9 categories of low low prestige, and both domestic and foreign films are 100 out of 100 accepted in those 9 categories, therefore 100%. Then In the only high prestige category, domestic films are 1/10, and the foreign films are 10/100. Overall, domestic films are 100/110, foreign films are 110/200. Answer E is correct.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2017
Posts: 13
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.8
Background information: This year, each film submitted to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 17:13
brandon7 wrote:
licampus wrote:
the right answer really is 'E',and there is a trap in 'E'
First,why is 'B' wrong,see the explanation below:
D denotes demestic films,F denotes foreign films
category 1,rate=20%
D:100*20%=20
F:20*20%=4
category 2,rate=20%
D:500*20%=100
F:100*20%=20

overall rate(D)=(20+100)/(100+500)=120/600=20%
overall rate(F)=(4+20)/(20+100)=24/120=20%

SO,more domestic films don't mean higher overall rate.

Second,'E' says MOST F were submitted in CATEGORIES with low rates
As you see,that's the category which has low rate of acceptance,NOT F has the low rate of acceptance.That is really a trap which causes you to believe that 'E' contradics fact 1.
So:
category 1,rate=20%
D:100*20%=20
F:20*20%=4
category 2,RATE=5%
D:100*5%=5
F:400*5%=20

overall rate(D)=(20+20)/(100+100)=40/200=20%
overall rate(F)=(5+20)/(20+400)=25/420=6%(approximately)

as the calculation above,that most F were in category 2 and the rate of category 2 is extremely low both to D and F,causes the overall rate of F is around 6%



Sorry, but that's because you chose an example with equal weighting across both categories. The question only says that the weighting has to be the same within categories, but each category can have different acceptance rates. Please see below example that adheres to the prompt.

Please see the below example (I'd going to reduce to 4 categories to make it a bit easier)

(first number is accepted, 2nd is submitted)
Category 1: D (2/10=20%), F (2/10=20%)
Category 2: D (2/8= 25%), F (1/4=25%)
Category 3: D (14/20=70%), F (7/10=70%)
Category 4: D (4/20=20%), F (2/10=20%)

Overall: D (22/58=37.9%), F (12/34=35.3%)

Thus, because # of domestic films was higher overall (in category 3), it had a higher overall acceptance rate. Can a verbal expert chime in here please?


My test case/logic was similar to brandon7's. Actually, an example using just 2 categories would prove same point: namely, that the paradox is resolved if Domestic submissions constitute a greater portion of total submissions than Foreign submissions in high acceptance categories. That said, can anyone provide a solid reason for why Option D is wrong? Is it a Must Be True vs Could be True issue? (seems like a resolve paradox but correct me if I'm wrong)

For instance, If I use @brandon7's example to test the compatibility of Option D:
"Number of films to be selected in each category was predetermined....."
>> we could for instance preselect 3,3,21,6 for each category
"...But in no category was it required that the acceptance rate of Foreign = Domestic"
>> while the chance of not violating Fact 2 would be very low, there's a scenario where this could hold
Thus, Option D would seem to fit both Facts, since nothing in it constrains the total number of foreign or domestic submissions within categories.

Thanks
Background information: This year, each film submitted to   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2017, 17:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 55 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Background information: This year, each film submitted to

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.