Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, strategy, social entrepreneurship
Schools:Oxford (admitted), Cambridge (admitted + $), LBS (waitlisted)
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Bad Experience with INSEAD [#permalink]
Thank you for your replies! Actually I think that INSEAD is a top school but should be far less petulant... They probably have many applicants, but I think everyone should be important to them. Especially after charging a fee for each application...

However it is good to know that all other schools (also top b-schools) to where I've applied, were comprehensible and very kind.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:HBS - Class of 2012, INSEAD,
 Q50  V42
Send PM
ricborg wrote:
I would like to share with you my bad experience applying to INSEAD Jan 2011 intake, not to complain, but just to know your opinion and if I made the right decision.

I live in a country where is impossible to take GMAT and TOEFL, so in January I traveled to another country and did both tests in 3 days. GMAT score was not outstanding, however I think it was ok (+600). My problem was with TOEFL. I scored 101 but the minimum required in INSEAD is 105.

Before applying I sent a mail to adcom asking about my situation and they encouraged me to apply, saying that I could retake the test later. And so I did. I sent my application, and few days later (after having already paid the application fee), I got a mail from INSEAD saying that my application would not be considered until I repeat the TOEFL!! :(

I sent an email explaining again my situation and the fact that I would have to pay around 1,500 euros to travel and take the examination again. Therefore, I asked them to continue evaluating my application, and based on other elements (essays, GMAT, CV, etc) they could possibly make a conditional offer (or refuse me, obviously). At that time, I would be willing to retake the test, if that was the only condition remaining to be admitted.

However, INSEAD again replied in a short and simple mail: "We will only consider your application when you have the minimum TOEFL score."

After this I replied asking only to withdraw my application. I was very upset with INSEAD!!!

At this moment I have unconditional offers from IE, ESADE and Imperial College and I'm sure that in any one of these schools I'll spend a fantastic year.

Just one last note: I had the same problem with Oxford Said but, unlike INSEAD, they understood my situation and analyzed the remaining elements of my application. In the end I was rejected, but by factors other than the TOEFL. I consider that Oxford was much more worthy, since it prevented me to spend 1500 euro on an unnecessary trip.

What do you think about that? Did I behaved in the right way and made the best decision? I must also say that INSEAD has always been my dream school and the first option...

Cheers

It is fair of INSEAD to say that they won't consider your application if your TOEFL score is below 105. After all, it is clearly listed as one of the minimum requirements. I don't think you can blame the school for following their own rules, even if it would have cost you a 1,500 EUR trip. The rules are the same for everyone (I as well took a flight to take the TOEFL/GMAT tests, so I can feel your pain though ;-)).

What I do find unacceptable is that INSEAD apparently first told you you can apply without meeting the minimum TOEFL requirement, and then change their mind after you submitted the application and paid the fee. If they chose to grant you an exception, it makes INSEAD look pretty bad retracting it afterwards.

Anyway, on a more positive note - You did manage to get into some pretty good schools, so cheer up. Although all 3 schools are comparable in my book, I'd probably say Imperial College has the least strong brand.

By the way, you should provide feedback to INSEAD on your experience with them. :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Suker:

Of course you are right when you say that "is fair of INSEAD to say that they won't consider your application if your TOEFL score is below 105". I'm not complaining about that, but the fact that they have encouraged me to apply anyway. In my opinion that was the great failure of INSEAD! For the rest, and although I consider that I'm pretty close to the minimum (and moreover there are better ways to assess the level of English - like the interviews) I agree that they have reasons to reject my application. But they should have said that from the beginning.

Thank you for your VERY positive note :) Actually, though IE and ESADE are best ranked, London attracts me much more than Spain. I also think that Imperial has been rising gradually and may be among the best in a few years. As far as I know, Imperial already has many teachers who also teach classes at LBS and Judge. Also the strong brand "Imperial College" (considered one of the best universities in the world) can help in that purpose - like Said and Judge, that won prestigious under Oxford and Cambridge brands.

Thank you for your positive reply!

Cheers
Current Student
 Q50  V42
Send PM
ricborg wrote:
Hi Suker:

Of course you are right when you say that "is fair of INSEAD to say that they won't consider your application if your TOEFL score is below 105". I'm not complaining about that, but the fact that they have encouraged me to apply anyway. In my opinion that was the great failure of INSEAD! For the rest, and although I consider that I'm pretty close to the minimum (and moreover there are better ways to assess the level of English - like the interviews) I agree that they have reasons to reject my application. But they should have said that from the beginning.

Thank you for your VERY positive note :) Actually, though IE and ESADE are best ranked, London attracts me much more than Spain. I also think that Imperial has been rising gradually and may be among the best in a few years. As far as I know, Imperial already has many teachers who also teach classes at LBS and Judge. Also the strong brand "Imperial College" (considered one of the best universities in the world) can help in that purpose - like Said and Judge, that won prestigious under Oxford and Cambridge brands.

Thank you for your positive reply!

Cheers

I completely agree with your first paragrah. :-)

By all means, if you have a preference for Imperial College and London, don't consider the rankings too much. If it would be Stanford or so vs Imperial College, then I would advise you to think twice. But in this case, I don't think it matters that much. On the contrary even, if your goal is to work in London/UK, Imperial College will probably get you further. It's a very personal choice that is entirely dependent on your personal and professional plans.

Wherever you go, I'm sure you'll have a great time though. ;-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you! I think that when we are talking about schools in the Top50, from thousands of courses all around the world, they all guarantee a great experience, personal enrichment and a fantastic year!

All the best to you too! (Not sure if you go to HBS or INSEAD, but any one of them is like a dream :)
Current Student
 Q50  V42
Send PM
ricborg wrote:
Thank you! I think that when we are talking about schools in the Top50, from thousands of courses all around the world, they all guarantee a great experience, personal enrichment and a fantastic year!

All the best to you too! (Not sure if you go to HBS or INSEAD, but any one of them is like a dream :)

For sure, you'll have a great time. Don't forget to factor in the great weather in Spain in your decision by the way. :P

I got accepted at INSEAD, but I'll go to HBS this fall (hence, the blue). Really looking forward to it. :D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats! I've been in Boston a year ago to visit MIT and Harvard. Awsome!!!

About the weather since I'm from Angola I'm really looking for a little cold for a change :) I'm sick of heat all year! I want to use a hat and scarf haha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
That's marketing in action.

Encourage anyone and everyone to apply!!! Good to built up school stats.
GMAT Club Bot