Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [22]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [20]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing - Product Management
Schools:Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson, NYU Stern
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Re: It takes a deft balance between savings discipline, investment knowled [#permalink]
It's D. Between is automatically out. And all the rest are too wordy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: It takes a deft balance between savings discipline, investment knowled [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answered D.

I think "balance of" is fine, but I see how between/among could be used. Anybody care to discuss?

"It takes a balance of hard work and discipline to do well on the GMAT."
"It takes a balance between hard work and discipline to do well on the GMAT."
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [1]
GRE 1: Q800 V800

Send PM
It takes a deft balance between savings discipline, investment knowled [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I couldn't seem to leave a comment on today's SC Question of the Day. Sorry, kind of a noob here. I notice, though, that none of the Q of the D I saw has comments....

Anyway, I liked the question, so I thought I'd comment here. This is my first time viewing a Q of the D, so forgive me if my comment is more than is expected.

Here is dzyubam's SC:

It takes a deft balance between savings discipline, investment knowledge, risk taking, luck, and time to raise a million dollars through investments.

(A) It takes a deft balance between
(B) Deft balancing is needed between
(C) Deftly balanced, it takes
(D) It takes a deft balance of
(E) A deft balance is what one needs among

Clever question. I like that the question first seems to involve a choice between "between" and "among," but the best answer uses neither. Very like the GMAT, and a reminder NOT to craft an ideal answer in your head, but to work from the choices.

A and B are wrong because of "between."

The next most useful split is the position of the modifiers "among..." and "deftly balanced."

The placeholder "it" is fine in C, but it can't take the modifier "deftly balanced," so C is out.

The modifier "among..." should touch the noun it modifies, the list "savings discipline, investment knowledge, risk taking, luck, and time," so E is out.

D!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Hi MichaelS, Thank you for your response.

Can you please illustrate - "[highlight]The modifier "among..." should touch the noun it modifies[/highlight]" with example?

Cheers!
Aj.
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [1]
GRE 1: Q800 V800

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
About between vs. among:
I should have said that A and B are wrong because "between" can't be used with more than two objects. You say "between x and y," but "among x, y, and z."

About that modifier issue:
Noun modifiers must touch the nouns they modify, with just a few exceptions. The core of this sentence is, It takes a balance to raise dollars. Everything else is a modifier. In D, the phrase of savings discipline, investment knowledge, risk taking, luck, and time correctly modifies the noun balance. In E the phrase among savings discipline, investment knowledge, risk taking, luck, and time is incorrectly separated from the noun it's meant to modify, still balance. Instead it seems to nonsensically modify the entire clause A balance is what one needs. That's when one needs a balance, when one is among savings, etc. Huh? Again, that's nonsense.

Hope that helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos