Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [58]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [20]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 581 [3]
Concentration: MC, PE, VC
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Re: Bankers require that the financial information presented to them by mo [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ugimba wrote:
158. Bankers require that the financial information presented to them by mortgage applicants be complete and follow a prescribed format.
Here the subject 'financial information' is singular right? If so, it should use 'follows' than 'follow', isn't it?

"require that" implies subjunctive mood. So "follow" is correct.
A should be the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Business Consulting
 Q44  V25 GMAT 2: 600  Q50  V22
Send PM
Re: Bankers require that the financial information presented to them by mo [#permalink]
Kudos
A..

require + [that] + the financial information presented to them by mortgage applicants + [be]
.. basically, the be part should be the first 1st tense of the verb..
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3944 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Kudos
+1 A

Subjunctive mood, "require THAT + (noun/pronoun) + verb (in base form)".

Be careful that there are some verbs that don't accept the subjunctive mood.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
IMO A
(A) be complete and follow a prescribed format
1) Require that + verb (subjunctive mood)
2) Verbs are parallel

(B) is complete and it follows a prescribed format
(C) be complete and a prescribed format is followed
(D) to be complete and a prescribed format be following
(E) be completed, and it followed a prescribed format

------------------------------
waiting for Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
alpha_plus_gamma wrote:
ugimba wrote:
158. Bankers require that the financial information presented to them by mortgage applicants be complete and follow a prescribed format.
Here the subject 'financial information' is singular right? If so, it should use 'follows' than 'follow', isn't it?

Does it mean that the verb "follow" does not depend on the noun (information - singular) in this case?
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [5]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Sergiy wrote:
alpha_plus_gamma wrote:
ugimba wrote:

Does it mean that the verb "follow" does not depend on the noun (information - singular) in this case?

Hi
Incase of Subjunctive usage...verb must be plural, even if the subject is singular.
Another point to note is that require can be both Subjunctive and non subjunctive...but since that is used after require so it confirms its subjunctive role.

Consider Kudos if my post helps!!

Archit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 787 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
ugimba wrote:

please explain.

By removing extraneous parts, the original sentence becomes:

Bankers require that the financial information be complete and follow a prescribed format.

A) Grammatically correct and maintains parallelism. "require that" needs subjunctive mood -- "be complete" and "follow" are in subjunctive mood. Correct.
B) "is complete" is incorrect. "is complete" and "it follows" are not parallel.
C) Both active and passive voice are present. "be complete" and "prescribed format is followed" are not parallel.
D) "to be complete" and "prescribed format be following" are not parallel. "prescribed format be following" is grammatically incorrect.
E) "it" does not have a clear referent. "require that" needs the subjunctive mood -- "be completed" and "followed" are inappropriate.

Note:
Subjunctive forms of verbs are used to express various states that has not yet occurred -- these states can be wish, emotion, possibility, judgment, opinion, necessity, action, etc.
Present perfect forms, e.g., 'follows', are real and this form is not used to depict something that didn't happen yet.
Here we need subjunctive mood so as to fulfill the requirements of the bankers; so, the forms "be complete" and "follow" are correct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Bookmarks
ugimba wrote:

please explain.

Idiom: require that X do Y.

Correct. require that the financial information presented ........be complete and follow a prescribed format

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Send PM
IMO A

Command subjective must be a base form of to be vierb - only be no is/are/to be/was/were..

However, the OA - A seems to be worded wrongly since follow should be singular.. follows.

Any comments....

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Can someone please explain why C is wrong ?

be complete and a prescribed format is followed -> looks parallel to me than
be complete and follow a prescribed format
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
ygdrasil24 wrote:
Can someone please explain why C is wrong ?

be complete and a prescribed format is followed -> looks parallel to me than
be complete and follow a prescribed format

Hello ydrasil

C is wrong because it does NOT keep the sentence parallel.

Option C: Bankers require that the financial information presented to them by mortgage applicants be complete and a prescribed format is followed
The structure of C is: X require THAT Y be complete and Z is followed

Firstly, because of "and" ==> 'be complete" and "Z is followed" must be parallel. But it's NOT the case here.

Secondly, if you think: [X require THAT y be complete and Z is followed] follows parallel structure ==> You MUST add a second "THAT" before "Z is followed" ==> The sentence becomes:
X require THAT Y be complete and THAT Z is followed.

Hope it helps.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
As people above have mentioned, A uses command subjunctive, which is an appropriate usage here.

p.s Our book covers subjunctive, its various avatars and scenarios in detail. If you PM me your mail id, I can send the corresponding section to you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
nt2010 wrote:
IMO A

Command subjective must be a base form of to be vierb - only be no is/are/to be/was/were..

However, the OA - A seems to be worded wrongly since follow should be singular.. follows.

Any comments....

The subjunctive mode has a verb always in its plural form:
REQUIRE THAT + X+ VERB (infinitive w/o to)--- require that he do the homework.

Correct me if i am wrong.
Regards.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
anonimo wrote:
nt2010 wrote:
IMO A

Any comments....

Regards.

You are almost correct. However the command subjunctive mood is not a plural form, but a form you would use to command someone. This form is used with certain bossy verbs such as demand / require / propose etc.

Be fit, Anonimo!
I demand that you be fit.

Here be is not the plural form, but the form you would use to order someone. Notice that the command subjunctive mood is used with the bossy verb demand.

However you are right to say infinitive without to.

I presume you are already aware that there is another type of subjunctive mood called hypothetical subjunctive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
anonimo wrote:
nt2010 wrote:
IMO A

Any comments....

Regards.

You are almost correct. However the command subjunctive mood is not a plural form, but a form you would use to command someone. This form is used with certain bossy verbs such as demand / require / propose etc.

Be fit, Anonimo!
I demand that you be fit.

Here be is not the plural form, but the form you would use to order someone. Notice that the command subjunctive mood is used with the bossy verb demand.

However you are right to say infinitive without to.

I presume you are already aware that there is another type of subjunctive mood called hypothetical subjunctive.

And what would this hypothetical subjunctive be?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos