It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 10:08

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Olin (St. Louis) R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Fuqua R1


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 156

Kudos [?]: 338 [1], given: 6

Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2011, 06:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (01:27) correct 71% (01:33) wrong based on 803 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of gasoline-powered cars with those of electric cars is misleading. He examines only production of the cars, whereas it is the product's total life cycle-production, use, and recycling-that matters in determining its environmental impact. A typical gasoline-powered car consumes 3 times more resources and produces 15 to 20 times more air pollution than a typical electric car.

Which one of the following most accurately expresses the conclusion of the argument?

(A) Baumgartner makes a deceptive comparison between the environmental hazards of gasoline powered and electric cars.
(B) The use of a typical gasoline-powered car results in much greater resource depletion than does the use of a typical electric car.
(C) Baumgartner uses inaccurate data in his comparison of the environmental hazards of gasoline-powered and electric cars.
(D) The total life cycle of a product is what matters in assessing its environmental impact.
(E) The production of gasoline-powered cars creates more environmental hazards than does that of electric cars.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Divyadisha on 08 Nov 2016, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.
Formatted the question

Kudos [?]: 338 [1], given: 6

Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 485

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 149

WE 1: 4 years Tech
Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2011, 03:40
IMO A
_________________

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 149

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 156

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 6

Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2011, 03:53
mundasingh123 wrote:
IMO A

correct,but did you find it a bit confusing to choose the conclusion or it was too easy to do that?

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 6

Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 485

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 149

WE 1: 4 years Tech
Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2011, 04:20
vjsharma25 wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:
IMO A

correct,but did you find it a bit confusing to choose the conclusion or it was too easy to do that?

It was not confusing . I was between A and D . Since the argument centres arounds BG s method of comparison , i went for A . However since D is also true , i was a bit nervous about ignoring D
_________________

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 149

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 252

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 4

Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2011, 17:44
Same here, split between A and D. Went with A

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Posts: 54

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2011, 07:45
HI,Could you plz explain why the option C is not right?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2010
Posts: 107

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65
Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:21
"A" for me

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2010
Posts: 110

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2011, 04:45
why not C?

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 105

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2011, 06:16
vjsharma25 wrote:
Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of
gasoline-powered cars with those of electric cars is
misleading. He examines only production of the cars,
whereas it is the product's total life cycle-production, use,
and recycling-that matters in determining its environmental
impact. A typical gasoline-powered car consumes 3 times
more resources and produces 15 to 20 times more air
pollution than a typical electric car.

Which one of the following most accurately expresses the
conclusion of the argument?

(A) Baumgartner makes a deceptive comparison between the
environmental hazards of gasoline powered and
electric cars.
(B) The use of a typical
gasoline-powered car results in much greater
resource depletion than does the use of a typical
electric car.
(C) Baumgartner uses inaccurate data in his
comparison of the environmental hazards of
gasoline-powered and electric cars.
(D) The total life cycle of a product is what matters
in assessing its environmental impact.
(E) The production of gasoline-powered cars creates
more environmental hazards than does that of
electric cars.


Is it the same from Powerscore LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible?

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: mba here i come!
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 261

Kudos [?]: 1261 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2011, 05:00
conclusion: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of gasoline-powered cars with those of electric cars is misleading.

A is paraphrasing of the conclusion and is the correct option.
_________________

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Kudos [?]: 1261 [0], given: 48

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 139

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2011, 10:10
Any reason for not picking D...

'Deceptive comparison' wording confused me..

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

15 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Prep started for the n-th time
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 672

Kudos [?]: 200 [15], given: 37

Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2011, 22:07
15
This post received
KUDOS
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Lets dissect the argument.

Statement I: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of gasoline-powered cars VS electric cars is misleading.

Statement II : He examines only production of the cars, whereas it is the product's total life cycle that matters.

Statement III (example for Statement II) - A typical gasoline-powered car consumes 3 times more resources and produces 15 to 20 times more air pollution than a typical electric car.


A Simple Therefore test ( Premise , therefore conclusion) or Why Test (Why Conclusion ? Ans = Premise) will help you pick the correct premise and conclusion.

Lets apply it to the problem.

1) Statement I is premise, Statement II is conclusion.

Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards is misleading. Therefore, He examines only production of the cars,whereas it is the product's total life cycle that matters. --Does not make any sense. Our selection of Premise - Conclusion is not correct.

2) Statement II is premise, Statement I is conclusion.

Baumgartner examines only production of the cars, whereas it is the product's total life cycle that matters. Therefore, Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards is misleading -- makes perfect sense.

Hence Statement II is the premise and Statement I is the conclusion.

This means Choice D, though true, is the premise. Choice A is the Conclusion.

Kudos [?]: 200 [15], given: 37

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 139

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2011, 01:10
crick20002002 wrote:
Lets dissect the argument.

Statement I: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of gasoline-powered cars VS electric cars is misleading.

Statement II : He examines only production of the cars, whereas it is the product's total life cycle that matters.

Statement III (example for Statement II) - A typical gasoline-powered car consumes 3 times more resources and produces 15 to 20 times more air pollution than a typical electric car.


A Simple Therefore test ( Premise , therefore conclusion) or Why Test (Why Conclusion ? Ans = Premise) will help you pick the correct premise and conclusion.

Lets apply it to the problem.

1) Statement I is premise, Statement II is conclusion.


Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards is misleading. Therefore, He examines only production of the cars,whereas it is the product's total life cycle that matters. --Does not make any sense. Our selection of Premise - Conclusion is not correct.

2) Statement II is premise, Statement I is conclusion.

Baumgartner examines only production of the cars, whereas it is the product's total life cycle that matters. Therefore, Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards is misleading -- makes perfect sense.

Hence Statement II is the premise and Statement I is the conclusion.

This means Choice D, though true, is the premise. Choice A is the Conclusion.



+1 the explanation. Now i get it..I have to learn to split arguments into premises and conclusion to improve my accuracy..it makes it more systematic to answer draw conclusions questions..

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 254

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 110

Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2011, 08:26
Awesome explanation crick20002002. That really helped. I mistook the premise to be the conclusion.

Moreover, there is one more thing that I have heard: a statement already explicitly mentioned in the argument can NEVER be the conclusion of the argument. D does just that. Is that another reason for D to be wrong?

Would be glad if someone could provide some value-addition. TIA.
_________________

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 110

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Posts: 73

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 32

Schools: NUS
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2011, 09:30
Eshika wrote:
HI,Could you plz explain why the option C is not right?

The argument says that the assumptions made in the survey are not correct, hence the survey is misleading.There is no where mentioned that inaccurate data has been used in the study.
Thus A is the correct answer

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 32

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Prep started for the n-th time
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 672

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 37

Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2011, 03:56
siddharthmuzumdar wrote:
Awesome explanation crick20002002. That really helped. I mistook the premise to be the conclusion.

Moreover, there is one more thing that I have heard: a statement already explicitly mentioned in the argument can NEVER be the conclusion of the argument. D does just that. Is that another reason for D to be wrong?

Would be glad if someone could provide some value-addition. TIA.



I think you meant Assumption.

An assumption is never explicitly stated in the argument.
A conclusion is always a part of argument(rarely also provided in the question stem , but mostly in the argument).

Crick

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 37

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Posts: 54

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2012, 04:40
Got it..

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 516

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 16

Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2012, 05:33
+1 D after seeing Crick2002's explanation
_________________

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 16

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 274

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 51

Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2012, 13:19
+1 for Crick2002's explanation
_________________

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 51

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Enjoying the GMAT journey....
Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 713

Kudos [?]: 593 [0], given: 264

Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 07:19
What makes this one confusing is that the conclusion is written in the very first line. try placing it in the last and see how easy it is to identify the conclusion.
IMO A
_________________

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Kudos [?]: 593 [0], given: 264

Re: Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2012, 07:19

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 28 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Baumgartner's comparison of the environmental hazards of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.