Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Send PM
Re: BB HELP!!! [#permalink]
bradey1167 wrote:
I studied pretty hard for this and I ended up with just a 520. This thing is such a bear and I'm a little frustrated to say the least.The breakdown was as follows:

35 Quant and 26 Verbal

It was too different from the practice test scores, which I scored at most a 530. I know I need to improve my scores if I want a realistic shot at any of the good schools. Any advice on what I can do to try improve? I know I have the work ethic to do this, but I may have lost focus a little through the verbal sections.

I have the Kaplan books from taking the course, and although some of the techniques helped, I continued to miss problems here and there for one reason or another.

Any suggestions to what I can do to move as a minimum into the 600's??? Is it realistic that I will do that much better? :(

Hi bradey
From your post, I can completely comprehend your anxiety about GMAT.
In fact, I have the same experience with you.
With practice pattern of ETS and keeping read long, hard articles makes your scores progress even thought it ineeds time to achieve.
For GMAT, I think it is difficult to do well on atual test, especially like me, non-native English, with poor reading skills and inadequate vocabularies.
Maybe, I can not advise much specific opinion because I have not great scores on GMAT.
But, I hope we can keep study hard on GMAT and then attain your goal scores.
Good Luck
Chih-Hao
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72868 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: BB HELP!!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bradey1167 wrote:
I studied pretty hard for this and I ended up with just a 520. This thing is such a bear and I'm a little frustrated to say the least.The breakdown was as follows:

35 Quant and 26 Verbal

It was too different from the practice test scores, which I scored at most a 530. I know I need to improve my scores if I want a realistic shot at any of the good schools. Any advice on what I can do to try improve? I know I have the work ethic to do this, but I may have lost focus a little through the verbal sections.

I have the Kaplan books from taking the course, and although some of the techniques helped, I continued to miss problems here and there for one reason or another.

Any suggestions to what I can do to move as a minimum into the 600's??? Is it realistic that I will do that much better? :(

Are you still around? I lose messages occasionally :oops:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Still around BB. I'm picking up the books again and just trying to get motivated to start the study process all over again. Still looking for feed back if you have any.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
bradey1167 wrote:
Still around BB. I'm picking up the books again and just trying to get motivated to start the study process all over again. Still looking for feed back if you have any.

Have you gone through the PP?

That would be a good evaluation tool after a month of NEW studies

Are you international?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Not international, and yes I went through the power prep software.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
bradey1167 wrote:
Not international, and yes I went through the power prep software.

:shock: What's wrong with Verbal? Is it SC and CR?

You need to go to 42 math, 31 Verbal to get 600, which is doable

The reason I asked about PP was to use it as progress measurement and improvement.

How much records do you have left from GMAT? I mean different sheets, print outs, study notes, etc?

If you don't have much, you probably know what you are missing.
I had a notebook with all the formulas I needed to know; I had a notebook for the questions I have made mistakes, and one for new words, but you don't need it.

-=
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Picking up the Books again [#permalink]
Ok...BB...I''m back. I've decided to pick up the books again and devote about 2 hours a night and 3 or 4 hours on Saturday's and Sunday's. I've decided to try and blow the quant section out of the water.

Verbal is not the best...Sentence correction seems to get the best of me....I ended up going with what sounds correct, rather than actually understanding all the rules, which is my own stupidity. Reading Comp was my strongest in the beginning, but after I took more and more tests... self doubt started to creep in and I started to do worse. Unsure when I'll decide to take the test again, but aiming for the beginning of September.

I need to get more involved with this site so my activity should pick up here soon.

Ciao
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
A GOOD STRATEGY [#permalink]
"I had a notebook with all the formulas I needed to know; I had a notebook for the questions I have made mistakes, and one for new words, but you don't need it. "
I found this in the forum and this is a great idea and i suggest that u should mention this in bold letters in the Study Plan.
I've 18 days for my GMAT but I'm going to do this today.
I'll welcome more suggestions like this especially for Verbal-RC/CR/SC
Thanks
aps_can
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Picking up the Books again [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bradey1167 wrote:
Ok...BB...I''m back. I've decided to pick up the books again and devote about 2 hours a night and 3 or 4 hours on Saturday's and Sunday's. I've decided to try and blow the quant section out of the water.

Verbal is not the best...Sentence correction seems to get the best of me....I ended up going with what sounds correct, rather than actually understanding all the rules, which is my own stupidity. Reading Comp was my strongest in the beginning, but after I took more and more tests... self doubt started to creep in and I started to do worse. Unsure when I'll decide to take the test again, but aiming for the beginning of September.

I need to get more involved with this site so my activity should pick up here soon.

Ciao

Bradey,

Good to have you back.
I had exactly the same deal with Verbal, except I actually went ahead and studied grammar. I used this book: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846 I am not sure if Amazon link will work here, but that's what I used. I still have not published it to the general book recommendations, but I will; I promise.

I hope you don't have a girlfriend cuase with that schedule you won't have one by September; I looked like a used tea-bag after I was done with the test. I studied early morning, then went to work, came back did some math and then read for an hour or longer till midnigth and the same game next morning. I thought reading was helpful. I am not native, so I don't have the "EAR" but I managed to "borrow" it for a while after beefing up on Steinback, Hemmingway, and James. By the way, these guys are supposed to be helpful with RC as well.
THink about it. It is nto as fast as studying grammar rules -there is no immediate improvement, but a month of reading or 3-5 books make a difference.

I am looking forward to talking more to you.
Let me know if you are having problems locating things - I have realized that I suck in usability, so I will pay for my sins :wink:

-=-
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Picking up the Books again [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts