It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 06:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 21:49
siyanur89 wrote:
Shouldnt C be incorrect ? I read somewhere that after comma we cant use "which"..It can be used after a noun, right ?

i had the same question and thus looked up for this sc problem in the og 16, and found out that in the original question the comma is underlined too.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 23:03
The logical meaning of the sentence:

The book illustrations are carefully coordinated with the narrative that Beatrix Potter made...

A) As per the given construction, the "illustrations" are "coordinating" which is illogical.

B) This option commits the same mistake as A does.

C) "which she carefully coordinated with her narratives" clearly modifies illustrations. This construction is logical.

D) This option implies that Beatrix Potter coordinated herself with her narratives. This is illogical.

E) The modifier and modified entity are not close to one another.

Thus, option C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 02:48
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
--> the subject is too far away from verb.

(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter

(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
--> correct.

(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations

(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 18:59
sagarsabnis wrote:
OG16 SC121

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.
(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

A The subject is incorrectly separated from the verb by a prep phrase and a noun modifier phrase.
B A sentence cannot have two introductory noun modifier phrases.
C Correct.
D "Beatrix" is not "carefully coordinated."
E The meaning here has changed.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '19 (I)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.57

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 22:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi ,

I have few queries in reference to this question.

1) Can a pronoun refer to a noun in the preceding prepositional phrase? - Can "Them" refer to illustrations in this case (as indicated in question).

2) Since a verb-ed modifier modifies the nearby noun, can a verb-ed modifier modify the noun in the preceding prepositional phrase? - Can "carefully coordinated" modify "illustartions" as in option 'E'.

Reagrds.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her
keen observation and love of the natural world.

A. Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
Placement of modifier phrase “carefully coordinating …” gives an impression that it modifies “book illustrations” …as that is the subject of the clause preceding the modifier phrase.

B. In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
Same error as A

C. In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
Correct ans

D. Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
Verb-ed modifier “carefully coordinates” illogically modifies the subject “Beatrix Potter”

E. Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and
Again, illogical meaning.

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 08:08
This question is partly about what happens when modifiers get crammed together. In addition, you should not try to figure out the "original" or "intended" meaning because there isn't one. How do you know what the author of a sentence meant to say or how the author intended to express that meaning? Instead, identify what is clearly wrong.

Answer choice A runs together a prepositional modifier (in) and a participial modifier (coordinating). What is coordinating? Is it the illustrations? The pronoun "them" is okay and not ambiguous at all.

Answer choice B also runs together those two modifiers, allowing for "coordinating" to modify both illustrations and Beatrix Potter. An -ing modifier between two commas can modify a noun before or after the two commas. This is really an issue of clarity, and this construction allows for "coordinating" to modify either illustrations or Beatrix Potter, even if logically it modifies Beatrix Potter. This pattern of running together modifiers is a common one that you should learn to spot. Modifiers one after another are not necessarily wrong, though.

Answer choice D states that Beatrix Potter is coordinated with her narratives, lol. This is not a change in meaning. It is illogical meaning.

Answer choice E is kind of interesting. What does answer choice E say? Well, Beatrix Potter in her book illustrations carefully coordinated her book illustrations with her narratives. Do you see the issue there? It's illogical. In her illustrations, she coordinated her illustrations with her narratives. That's not changing the meaning. It just doesn't make sense. It's like saying the following: In his data tables, John coordinated his data tables with his summary. Always check whether a prepositional modifier is used correctly.

Getting finally to answer choice C, a prepositional phrase is often used to modify the main clause of a sentence when the prepositional phrase occurs at the beginning of a sentence before a comma, or at the end of a sentence after a comma. Consider answer choice C (the correct answer): "In her book illustrations" is modifying "Beatrix Potter capitalized" and showing where she capitalized. By placing the prepositional phrase at the beginning of the sentence before a comma, answer choice C has "In her illustrations" modifying the main clause of the sentence. And that makes sense.

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 22:35
This is the case where 2 modifiers have been used referring to the same subject. This error has to be identified and rectified.
We have to make such a sentence which does not really has two initial modifiers; we can have a structure where it's really one initial modifier, with another modifier embedded inside it,
i.e.
(In her book illustrations(, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives),) Beatrix Potter...

This structure is present in C hence C is correct
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 04:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rekhabishop wrote:
Although I chose C, I am not very convinced with "which she carefully....".

Should'nt it be "which were carefully coordinated...."

Both are alright:
In the first case, "which" is used as an object (the doer of the action (she) is the subject, "which" is the object - active voice).
In your example "which" is used as subject (hence passive voice - doer of the action (she) is NOT the subject). Another example:

I have a pet dog, which my mother does not like. Correct (the relative clause is in active voice - "which" object of the clause).
I have a pet dog, which is not liked by my mother. Correct (the relative clause is in passive voice - "which" subject of the clause).
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 22:50
mikemcgarry : Hey Mike, I hope you are having a great weekend. I was working on this OG problem and was analyzing the solution, when I came across your video lesson on this particular SC. In the video, you have mentioned that Choice E can not be correct because it does not have two full working verbs- while we have "capitalized" i.e a full working verb after the comma, we don't have a working verb before "and", I was wondering whether this is true and would need some guidance please. What I understand from the Choice E is that " Beatrix Potter carefully coordinated them with her narratives and capitalized...... "

Since she is the main doer of the action, it looks to me that both coordinated and communicated are the main verbs, and this is a correct grammatical construction. So I really don t see the point that we just have one full working verb here- i.e CAPITALIZED. I believe that the word COORDINATED also performs the same function.(obviously, I removed the "in her book illustrations" phrase as it was a non-essential modifier.)

Now, I chose answer C to this problem, and the reason I chose C over E was that in Choice C, the sentence after removing the non-essestial modifier looks like this :

Choice C after refining : In her book illustrations, Beatrix Potter capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

While Choice E looks like this :
Beatrix Potter carefully coordinated them with her narratives and capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

Looks like Choice E is talking very generically and losing its focus on the book, which has been clearly defined in Choice C. Have I refined the 2 choices correctly and is my thinking process correct?

Can you please help me this Mike? I hope I am asking the right questions. Thanks Much.

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 10:00

- "coordinating" breaks parallelism with "capitalized". "coordinating" should be "coordinated" b/c "capitalized" is NOT UNDERLINED.

- same as "A"

- correct as is

- "carefully coordinated" illogically modifies "Beatrix Potter". also, illustrations do not capitalize...

- "carefully coordinated them" = unclear. what does "them" refer to?

toughie - important takeaways:
> BP did 2 things: COORDINATED illustrations with narratives, and CAPITALIZED on her keen observation.
> Meaning here matters. Understand that the illustrations were coordinated with a narrative, so ", which" helps here.
-- Modifier error ("Carefully coordinated with her narratives, BP") = incorrect
-- "BP, ..., carefully coordinated them" = unclear

Kudos please if you find this helpful :)
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 02:37
egmat wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks for posting your query here. :-)

In this sentence, since there is no clause preceding the verb -ing modifier, the phrase 'carefully coordinating them with her narratives' is modifying the prepositional phrase 'in her book illustrations'. Hence, the modification is illogical.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubt! :-)

Regards,
Meghna

Could you please help me understand whether the above mentioned "ing modifier cannot refer to prepositional phrases" is a rule in GMAT??

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 05:08
huntgmat wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Hi Guys, I have difficulty to understand the OG explanation for elimination of option E.
It says: "them cannot refer back to book illustrations as it is object of the preposition in" ???? What does it exactly mean.
Is it some kind of rule , I hunted on net with faliure.

Sentence Analysis
The sentence starts with saying “Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations”, so we expect that Beatrix Potter did something in her book illustrations. However, this part is then followed by a verb-ing modifier “carefully coordinating them with her narratives”. An observation: one modifier after the other in this structure does look awkward!

It seems that Beatrix Potter carefully coordinated these illustrations with her narratives. However, since “in her book illustrations” appears right before this modifier, it seems that she coordinated the book illustrations in her book illustrations! Therefore, the structure of the sentence doesn’t look amiable to clear understanding.

The sentence then says “capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world”. It seems that BP capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world by carefully coordinating book illustrations with her narratives.

All in all, there doesn’t seem to be a deterministic error. However, the structure of sentences leaves much to be desired.

Option Analysis
(A) Incorrect. For the distorted structure of the sentence.

(B) Incorrect. Just as in the original sentence, it seems that BP carefully coordinated book illustrations in her book illustrations (since “in her book illustrations” immediately precedes “carefully coordinating them” – them stands for book illustrations). Also, the presence of two clause modifiers – one after the other – makes the structure of the sentence awkward.

(C) Correct. Using a relative clause, this option makes the sentence clear. Now, the meaning of the sentence is that in her book illustrations, BP capitalized on her qualities. The “which” clause provides additional information about book illustrations. The “which” clause means that BP carefully coordinated these book illustrations with her narratives. Therefore, this sentence is grammatically and logically correct.

(D) Incorrect. The opening verb-ed modifier “coordinated” modifies the subject of the clause “Beatrix Potter”, meaning that BP herself was carefully coordinated with her narratives. Clearly, the meaning is illogical and not intended.

(E) Incorrect. This structure clearly means that BP coordinated book illustrations (them) in her book illustrations – an illogical meaning.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2017, 05:46
This QUESTION is entirely meaning based.

The non sensical meaning, Carefully coordinating book illustrations ... in her book illustrations, is repeated in 3 of the choices -- A, B and E.

Option D, means Beatrix Potter was carefully coordinated with her narratives... NON SENSICAL.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.41
WE: Business Development (Accounting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 09:00
huntgmat wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Hi Guys, I have difficulty to understand the OG explanation for elimination of option E.
It says: "them cannot refer back to book illustrations as it is object of the preposition in" ???? What does it exactly mean.
Is it some kind of rule , I hunted on net with faliure.

First, the question asked, [ Why can the object of preposition not be antecedent for "them"? ] Its because them is a pronoun and it can only have a noun as its antecedent.

Answer is C.

A- Use of them is wrong
B-Uses them again, secondly structure is set up in a way which can be improved immensely.
D- It is not Beatrix Potter who is coordinated with her illustrations but her narrative. Illogical meaning
E- Use of them is wrong again. Read the sentence slowly [ In her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her ....]. In her book is already mentioned, what is [ them ] referring to?

It seems like all sentences with [ Them ] are suggesting that there is something in her book illustrations with which her narrative is well coordinated. But that " Something" is missing is from the entire sentence. Hence it is an error. However Logical meaning is that her book illustrations are well coordinated with her narrative.

Regards
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2017, 09:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 75 posts ] 

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap