Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging [#permalink]
Quote:
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

(A) Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging

(B) Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply

(C) Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply

(D) Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply

(E) Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

Request Expert Reply:
Hi Honorable Experts,
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, VeritasPrepHailey, AnthonyRitz, BrightOutlookJenn, DmitryFarber, EducationAisle,
I'm stuck with the use of 'because of' and 'due to' here. Could you clarify these terminology on the basis of choice A,B,C, and E?
So far i know we know that, 'because of' modifies CLAUSE, and 'due to' modifies NOUN. So, is the following are correct explanation?
Quote:
A) Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

It seems that the 'because of' modifies the clause.
Quote:
(B) Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

There is no clause the 'because of' modifies here in this choice!
Quote:
(D) Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

It seems that 'due to' modifies the noun 'prices'.
Quote:
(E) Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

There is no NOUN the 'due to' modifies here in this choice!
Is the explanation correct. Am I missing anything, experts?
Thanks in advanced..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
It seems that 'due to' modifies the noun 'prices'.

Quote:
(E) Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

There is no NOUN the 'due to' modifies here in this choice!
Is the explanation correct. Am I missing anything, experts?

Hi TheUltimateWinner,

You're absolutely correct: we would expect a because to modify a clause. If we accept that due to should not refer to a clause, and that it should refer only to a noun, the problem with that option is that it seems as if the due to refers to the manufacturer.

Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply, the manufacturer has announced... ← "Due to X, the manufacturer..."

Here the phrase plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply is the "X" after due to, so we can say that prices is not what is being modified.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Absolutely nothing jumps out at me with (A). Subject-verb agreement is fine, logic seems fine. *shrug*

I guess we'll keep (A).

Quote:
(B) Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply

I'm really happy to see the word "which", because it's usually pretty straightforward. In this case, the phrase "which is due to an oversupply" is trying to modify "computer chips", and that makes absolutely no sense, partly because the computer chips themselves can't be caused by an oversupply, and partly because the subject-verb agreement is wrong ("chips... is"). Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply

"Which" can only be used to modify nouns, and the preceding phrase is a verb phrase, "have been sent plunging". Eliminate (C).

Quote:

• The game was postponed due to rain. --> Wrong, since the phrase "due to rain" modifies the verb phrase "was postponed." "Due to" phrases can only modify nouns.
  • Souvik's success on the GMAT was due to his hard work. --> Correct, since "due to his hard work" modifies the noun "success."

In (D), "due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply" presumably modifies the manufacturer, since that's the noun that follows. And that makes no sense at all: the manufacturer itself wasn't "due to plunging computer chip prices." (D) is gone.

Quote:
(E) Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

This is just an uglier, wordier version of (D), with the same "due to" problem. Eliminate (E). (A) wins.

Hi GMATNinja
In option B, why can't which refer slightly far off preceding noun plunging prices?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
ishikasoni111 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Absolutely nothing jumps out at me with (A). Subject-verb agreement is fine, logic seems fine. *shrug*

I guess we'll keep (A).

Quote:

I'm really happy to see the word "which", because it's usually pretty straightforward. In this case, the phrase "which is due to an oversupply" is trying to modify "computer chips", and that makes absolutely no sense, partly because the computer chips themselves can't be caused by an oversupply, and partly because the subject-verb agreement is wrong ("chips... is"). Eliminate (B).

Quote:

"Which" can only be used to modify nouns, and the preceding phrase is a verb phrase, "have been sent plunging". Eliminate (C).

Quote:

• The game was postponed due to rain. --> Wrong, since the phrase "due to rain" modifies the verb phrase "was postponed." "Due to" phrases can only modify nouns.
  • Souvik's success on the GMAT was due to his hard work. --> Correct, since "due to his hard work" modifies the noun "success."

In (D), "due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply" presumably modifies the manufacturer, since that's the noun that follows. And that makes no sense at all: the manufacturer itself wasn't "due to plunging computer chip prices." (D) is gone.

Quote:

This is just an uglier, wordier version of (D), with the same "due to" problem. Eliminate (E). (A) wins.

Hi GMATNinja
In option B, why can't which refer slightly far off preceding noun plunging prices?

Hey ishikasoni111, even if which refers to the slightly far away noun prices, it would cause SV error as prices are plural. Also, I don't think which can ever refer to plunging prices as plunging prices is not a noun or a noun phrase.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Hi
In option B, why can't which refer slightly far off preceding noun plunging prices?[/quote]

Hey, even if which refers to the slightly far away noun prices, it would cause SV error as prices are plural. Also, I don't think which can ever refer to plunging prices as plunging prices is not a noun or a noun phrase.[/quote]

Ohk I understand the SV error. But not sure why plunging prices is not a noun or noun phrase. What category do we put it in?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
ishikasoni111 wrote:
Hi

Hey, even if which refers to the slightly far away noun prices, it would cause SV error as prices are plural. Also, I don't think which can ever refer to plunging prices as plunging prices is not a noun or a noun phrase.[/quote]

Ohk I understand the SV error. But not sure why plunging prices is not a noun or noun phrase. What category do we put it in?[/quote]

Plunging is just an adverb I believe (Please take this with a pinch of salt as I'm not the best at mapping out jargons). A noun phrase is something that can function as a noun (a name, place, person or thing).

Eg - The building fell like a house of cards . Here, house of cards is a noun phrase.

Hope this helps! :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
plunging prices is indeed a noun phrase, with plunging being an adjective (participle) and prices being a noun.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Brian123 wrote:
even if which refers to the slightly far away noun prices, it would cause SV error as prices are plural. Also, I don't think which can ever refer to plunging prices as plunging prices is not a noun or a noun phrase.

Brian123 makes a very good point about SV error, since plunging prices is plural while the verb (which is) is singular.

It is however, important to note that even if there was no SV error (if the construct was....which are), which would then still have modified computer chips, and not plunging prices, because computer chips is the "nearest grammatically eligible word" for which.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses modifier issues of "which", their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Felt I can choose "Because" over "Due to" and this way, eliminated two options. Out of the remaining 3, based on structure chose A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
A. Correct
B. 'prices for' is incorrect. Also, relative pronoun “which” refers to plural subject “prices”. But
the following verb “is” is singular that does not agree in the number with its noun antecedent.
Therefore incorrect
C. Reference to “which” is vague. It is not clear whether it refers to the price that was there
before plunging or to plunging price. Passive voice unnecessarily makes the choice wordy.
D. The events here are not presented in the chronological order. The order of the events is:
oversupply of chips, plunging prices and announcement by the manufacturer. But this choice
states the order as: plunging prices, (due to) oversupply and announcement by the manufacturer. This change in order creates a bit confusion as to what happened first: plunging in prices or
oversupply?
E. It is better to say, due to x, y happened rather than due to x what resulted in is y. This
expression makes “with the result” redundant. Too wordy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging [#permalink]
Quote:

GMATNinja can we also eliminate choice (E) because of the usage of "have been", which represents an ongoing action, whereas clearly, the action (plunging) is finished.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
wolfman wrote:
Quote:

GMATNinja can we also eliminate choice (E) because of the usage of "have been", which represents an ongoing action, whereas clearly, the action (plunging) is finished.

(A) also uses the present perfect, "has sent," so we know that verb tense can't be the problem with (E). For more on why the present perfect is acceptable, check out this post.

Fortunately, we only need one error to eliminate an option, and the use of "due to" is incorrect in (E). "Due to" must modify a noun, and in this construction, the phrase seems to describe the "manufacturer." It's safe to say that the manufacturer was not due to an oversupply, so we can nix (E) without agonizing over the verb tense.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja

I have question,
you mention that
Phrases that begin with "due to" can only modify nouns, not verbs

However in a grammar book "Martin Hewings Advanced Grammar in Use 3rd Edition" (ı am studying it to have better English grammar base) there was an example "Due to fog, all flights from the airport have been cancelled" that is considered right. I believe this example goes against your example and ı am confused a little bit can you help me on that?

GMATNinja wrote:
wolfman wrote:
Quote:

(A) also uses the present perfect, "has sent," so we know that verb tense can't be the problem with (E). For more on why the present perfect is acceptable, check out this post.

Fortunately, we only need one error to eliminate an option, and the use of "due to" is incorrect in (E). "Due to" must modify a noun, and in this construction, the phrase seems to describe the "manufacturer." It's safe to say that the manufacturer was not due to an oversupply, so we can nix (E) without agonizing over the verb tense.

I hope that helps!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gloomybison wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

I have question,
you mention that
Phrases that begin with "due to" can only modify nouns, not verbs

However in a grammar book "Martin Hewings Advanced Grammar in Use 3rd Edition" (ı am studying it to have better English grammar base) there was an example "Due to fog, all flights from the airport have been canceled" that is considered right. I believe this example goes against your example and ı am confused a little bit can you help me on that?

Hello, gloomybison,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe that we can help resolve your doubt.

In the example, you have given, the entire phrase "Due to fog" modifies "have been canceled". Further, a more cogent flaw in Option E is that it places information that is necessary for the core meaning of the sentence - the fact that the oversupply caused computer chip prices to plunge - between two commas. Please remember, information that is important to the core meaning of the sentence should never be placed between two commas.

To understand the concept of "Extra Information Between Commas" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
KarishmaB

I read in this article that "due to" can't modify the verb is a misconception
https://gmatwithcj.com/articles/sc-misc ... fy-a-verb/

Why d is incorrect? Please help to reject D meaning-wise.

Thanks!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
KarishmaB

I read in this article that "due to" can't modify the verb is a misconception
https://gmatwithcj.com/articles/sc-misc ... fy-a-verb/

Why d is incorrect? Please help to reject D meaning-wise.

Thanks!

Sneha2021

I would prefer (A) to (D) because of the clarity of (A).

(A) Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production...

The oversupply led to prices plunging and this led to the announcement.

(D) Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production...

In (D), I am not clear what 'from an oversupply' means. Usage of 'from' does not show that 'oversupply' is the reason for plunging prices (but I say this only because I have option (A); otherwise, I will likely say that I can glean the meaning based on a bit of general awareness)
I do understand that 'plunging prices' is the reason for the announcement but what is the reason for plunging prices is not clear. This relation is clearly mentioned in option (A) and that is why I will prefer (A).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
Phrases that begin with "due to" can only modify nouns, not verbs.

Can option D be eliminated because of the incorrect use of "from"?
The word "resulting" is required before it.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts