Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Because natural gas is composed mostly of methane, a simple hydrocarbo [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Paras0111 wrote:
GMATNinja - Could you please clarify this query? I landed on the same question. Thank you!

Narenn wrote:
Because natural gas is composed mostly of methane, a simple hydrocarbon, vehicles powered by natural gas emit less of certain pollutants than the burning of gasoline or diesel fuel.

(A) less of certain pollutants than the burning of gasoline or diesel fuel
(B) fewer of certain pollutants than burning gasoline or diesel fuel do
(C) less of certain pollutants than gasoline or diesel fuel
(D) fewer of certain pollutants than does burning gasoline or diesel fuel
(E) less of certain pollutants than those burning gasoline or diesel fuel

I know choice B is wrong because of Incorrect usage of 'fewer', however i would like to know that when comparing the actions if the second part to be compared repeats the verb - do in this case - can that or those be understood in such case.
i.e. if the choice B had been less of certain pollutants than (those) burning gasoline or diesel fuel do would this choice be correct?

Hello Paras0111,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the alternate version of Option B proposed here would still not be correct; in comparison, repeated instances of verbs can be omitted for the sake of conciseness, but subjects cannot.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63661 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Because natural gas is composed mostly of methane, a simple hydrocarbo [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Paras0111 wrote:
GMATNinja - Could you please clarify this query? I landed on the same question. Thank you!

Narenn wrote:
Because natural gas is composed mostly of methane, a simple hydrocarbon, vehicles powered by natural gas emit less of certain pollutants than the burning of gasoline or diesel fuel.

(A) less of certain pollutants than the burning of gasoline or diesel fuel
(B) fewer of certain pollutants than burning gasoline or diesel fuel do
(C) less of certain pollutants than gasoline or diesel fuel
(D) fewer of certain pollutants than does burning gasoline or diesel fuel
(E) less of certain pollutants than those burning gasoline or diesel fuel

I know choice B is wrong because of Incorrect usage of 'fewer', however i would like to know that when comparing the actions if the second part to be compared repeats the verb - do in this case - can that or those be understood in such case.
i.e. if the choice B had been less of certain pollutants than (those) burning gasoline or diesel fuel do would this choice be correct?

First, our standard disclaimer: GMAT SC isn't about looking at a single sentence in a bubble and labeling it wrong or right. It's about comparing the five available options and selecting the best one. That's why analyzing tweaked versions of the answer choices isn't the best use of your valuable study time.

In this case, it sounds like you're asking whether "those" is implied in choice (B), and I don't think it is. Here's a shortened version of (B), using "less" instead of "fewer":

"Vehicles powered by natural gas emit less of certain pollutants than burning gasoline or diesel fuel do."

At first glance, it seems like we're comparing (1) what vehicles powered by natural gas emit and (2) what burning gasoline or diesel fuel emit, and that's not quite right. We want to compare vehicles to vehicles, not vehicles to fuels. Sure, we can figure out the intended meaning with a little effort, but the meaning becomes much clearer when we stick a "those" in there.

Is our tweaked version of (B) unambiguously WRONG because it violates some black-and-white grammar rules regarding the usage of "those"? Nope, it's "wrong" because (E) is still a better option.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
renzofig wrote:
Hi experts GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, daagh, TommyWallach,

I think that this questions has a great less/fewer split. Maybe you could complement the explanations with your thoughts.

Best regards,
Renzo

First, you're right, the juiciest decision point is between "less" and "fewer." As is usually the case, the choice comes down to context and meaning. If we're talking about the number of pollutants emitted, we'd use "fewer" as this would be countable. If we're talking about the quantity of pollutants, we'd use "less" as the quantity of a volume isn't really countable. (A good rule of thumb here is whether the item in question can be expressed as an integer value. We can count to 3. But it doesn't make sense to count to 3.7.) Much more on countable vs. non-countable modifiers in this video.

Here it seems more logical to talk about the quantity of "certain pollutants." If one vehicle emitted four kinds of pollutants and another three kinds, it's not clear if we should care. It would really depend on how much was emitted. Also, if we were talking about the number of pollutants, it would be far simpler to just writer "fewer pollutants," as opposed to "fewer of certain pollutants." Because we'd prefer "less," to indicate a non-countable quantity, (B) and (D) are out.

Next, take another look at (A):

Quote:
A. vehicles powered by natural gas emit less of certain pollutants than the burning of gasoline or diesel fuel

Now it sounds as though we're comparing the amount of pollutants emitted by vehicles powered by natural gas to the amount of pollutants emitted by the burning of gas or diesel in general. That's an awfully wonky comparison. Shouldn't we be comparing emissions from vehicles running on natural gas to emissions from other types of vehicles? I'm tempted to get rid of (A), but first, I might see if a more logical comparison is available.

(C) gives us the following:

Quote:
C. vehicles powered by natural gas emit less of certain pollutants than gasoline or diesel fuel

If anything, this one is worse. Now we're comparing emissions of vehicles powered by natural gas to gasoline or diesel fuel themselves. Fuel, so far as I know, doesn't just spew out emissions on its own. You have to use or burn it. So (C) is illogical and out of contention.

And here's (E):

Quote:
E. vehicles powered by natural gas emit less of certain pollutants than those burning gasoline or diesel fuel

Now we're comparing vehicles powered by natural gas to those (vehicles) burning gasoline or diesel. The vehicle to vehicle comparison is more logical than the comparison we get in (A) between vehicles powered by natural gas and the general burning of gas and diesel. Because (E) uses "less" correctly and offers the most logical comparison, it's our winner.

Quote:
Also, could you explain why the correct answer Choice E does not use the "do" to replace the verb "emit".

Shouldn't the answer be as follows:

E) less of certain pollutants than those burning gasoline or diesel fuel "do"

It's mostly a question of whether we need the helping verb, "do" or "does" to clear up an ambiguity.

Consider an example:

Tim hates Pokemon more than his wife.

Here, for the sake of Tim's marriage, we really want a helping verb. The reason is that the sentence, as is, has two possible interpretations:

1) Tim hates Pokemon more than his wife hates Pokemon.
    2) Tim hates Pokemon more than he hates his wife. (That's a problem, both for Tim and for the GMAT.)

However, if we write, "Tim hates Pokemon more than his wife does," it's now clear that the first interpretation is the correct one.

But not every sentence has two reasonable interpretations. For example, "Tim runs faster than Ben," doesn't include the helping verb "does," but because there's only one coherent way to understand the sentence, it's fine as is.

(E) is more like the second scenario that has only one logical interpretation. In other words, no reasonable person would read "Vehicles powered by natural gas emit less of certain pollutants than those burning gasoline or diesel fuel," and think there was any chance that the sentence meant that vehicles powered by natural gas emit less of certain pollutants than they emit vehicles burning gasoline.

Because there's no ambiguity here, the helping verb isn't required. And there's no rule about whether "does" should come before the subject or after.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja I really struggle to see how it would be more logical to say that we are concerned with the quantity of certain pollutants rather the types of pollutants

Should it be explicitly stated that it should be "certain kinds of chemicals"??
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63661 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Danish234 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja I really struggle to see how it would be more logical to say that we are concerned with the quantity of certain pollutants rather the types of pollutants

Should it be explicitly stated that it should be "certain kinds of chemicals"??

• Let's say that Bus A emits 5,000 pounds of pollutant X and 5,000 pounds of pollutant Y every 100,000 miles -- so 10,000 pounds of pollutants in total.
  • Meanwhile, every 100,000 miles, Bus B emits 2 pounds of pollutant X, 2 pounds of pollutant Y, 2 pounds of pollutant W, and 2 pounds of pollutant Z -- so 8 pounds of pollutants in total.
  • All else equal, which type of bus would you want driving around your city? Obviously Bus B, since the NUMBER of pollutants is much less significant than the quantity of pollutants (unless one is particularly toxic or something -- but based on what we know, B is better).

In the phrase "less of certain pollutants", the word "certain" indicates that we're only talking about a specific list of pollutants. Sure it's possible that vehicles powered by gasoline or diesel fuel emit less Pollutant Q than vehicles powered by natural gas. But if we were to only look at the specific list of pollutants, the quantities would be lower for vehicles powered by natural gas.

So this sentence explains an apparent advantage of using natural gas instead of gasoline or diesel fuel. Presumably there are other factors worth exploring or comparing, but the scope of this sentence is limited.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts