Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [51]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8807 [10]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [4]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Because of a similarity to dance, synchronized swimming—exhibition swi [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
rohitmanglik wrote:
abrakadabra21

Nice point, I just noticed a rare sentence correction: Independent clause inside another independent clause.

- {the movements(Subject1) of one or more swimmers(Prepositional Phrase1) are(V1) synchronized(Object1) with a musical accompaniment(Prepositional Phrase2)}(Subject2) is(V2) sometimes called water ballet (Object2)

Having said that, consider this GMAT prep question:
Growing evidence that coastal erosion occurs continuously, not just in calamitous bursts such as hurricanes, has led scientists and planners to urge a stringent new approach to limiting development along the nation's shoreline.

This extract also follow same structure: {coastal erosion occurs continuously}IC1 has led scientists and planners to urge a stringent new approach(IC2)

On GMAT, though above construction is rare, it is valid.

Hope it helps. :)

Dear rohitmanglik,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Just to be clear, there is absolutely no correct grammar form that involves one independent clause inside another. Your quote from the first sentence omitted the crucial "in which" which marked the beginning of the subordinate clause. Without that, what you quoted is not a correct full sentence at all.

In the sentence you quoted from GMAT Prep, the word "that" begins a subordinate clause
"that coastal erosion occurs continuously, not just in calamitous bursts such as hurricanes"
This subordinate clause is a noun-modifying clause that modifies the subject, "growing evidence." That's the subject of the main clause, and "has led" is the verb of the main clause. We do not have two independent clauses.

Does all this make sense?
Mike
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Because of a similarity to dance, synchronized swimming—exhibition swi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
GMAThunterr wrote:
Can somebody please shed some light in the below doubts :
If the subject was " one or more swimmers" ,what would be the verb form(Singular / Plural). According to me, it should be singular as OR cannot change a subject from singular to plural.

One swimmer or More is a correct form ? Is there any difference between One swimmer or More AND one or more swimmers.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi,

I'm happy to respond.

The difference between “one swimmer or more” and “one or more swimmers” has more to do with the reference to singular and plural than anything else.

Technically, both the expressions mean the same. However, usage-wise, the expression 'one or more swimmers' is more apt because if we put the noun after the adjective ‘one’, we would have to use the singular form and then repeat the plural form after the adjective ‘one'. So we would have to say 'one swimmer or more swimmers'.

On the other hand, if we put the noun after the adjective ‘more’, the noun is taken to apply to both the adjectives ‘one’ and ‘more’. So, the expression “one or more swimmers” is more appropriate idiomatically.

To answer your first question, in this sentence, the subject is not “one or more swimmers”; it is ‘the movements’. That’s why the verb is also plural – are.

However, if in a sentence the subject is ‘one or more swimmers’, the verb would be plural going by the rule of joining two nouns or pronouns with the conjunction ’or’. The rule is that the verb agrees with whichever noun is closer to the verb in such a case. So, the subject and verb would be – One or more swimmers are participating.

I hope this helps.

Jayanthi Kumar.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
of vs by... go with the former for being idomatic.

D,E are out.

The movements are synchronized with the music, not to the music as A suggests. B uses the wrong tense 'is'.

So C it is.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
abrakadabra21 wrote:
saurya_s wrote:

C cant be correct.

Is n't it case of two verb

the movements are synchronized with a musical accompaniment is sometimes..........................

daagh pl help

Dear abrakadabra21,
I'll respond to this also. :-) Unfortunately, the original that saurya_s was a mess. I just edited the lead post to neaten it up. Here is the neatened up version. Notice that the underline in the prompt matches (A) now. More important, that odd error symbol was supposed to be a piece of punctuation known as an em-dash. Unfortunately, we can't write proper em-dashes in the rtf format of GC, so I choose to represent an em-dash by three hyphens in a row.

Because of a similarity to dance, synchronized swimming---exhibition swimming in which the movements of one or more swimmers synchronize toa musical accompaniment---is sometimes called water ballet, especially in theatrical situations.
A. of one or more swimmers synchronize to
B. of one swimmer or more is synchronized with
C. of one or more swimmers are synchronized with
D. by one swimmer or more is synchronized to
E. by one or more swimmers synchronize to

You see, in this version, the full verb "are synchronized" is the main verb of the subordinate clause that starts with "which," and "is . . . called" is the main verb of the independent clause. There is absolutely no conflict here. Each clause, independent or subordinate, needs its own verb.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Because of a similarity to dance, synchronized swimmingexhibition swi [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nonie94 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja AndrewNHaileyCusimano

In Option A, other than the idiom error, can we eliminate the option based on the subject ( movements) performing the action of synchronizing. We expect a passive voice instead of an active voice

Thanks

Hello, Nonie94. I would like to find a non-idiomatic issue to point out in the original sentence, but in the clause that begins, the movements of one or more swimmers synchronize... it is fine to use the active voice, provided that with follows. It is the movements that synchronize, but, more specifically, it is the swimmers who are understood to be moving in a certain way to synchronize with musical accompaniment. (Notice that in answer choice (C), it is still the movements that are synchronized with the music.)

I wish I had a deeper analysis to offer, but some older questions especially were designed more around specific idiomatic usage. Thank you for thinking to ask, and good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
A. of one or more swimmers synchronize to
- missing verb : eliminate
B. of one swimmer or more is synchronized with
- one or more - are (plural) is needed
C. of one or more swimmers are synchronized with
- correct
D. by one swimmer or more is synchronized to
- is : error. plural verb is needed
E. by one or more swimmers synchronize to
- synchronize with : right idiom
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Can somebody please shed some light in the below doubts :
If the subject was " one or more swimmers" ,what would be the verb form(Singular / Plural). According to me, it should be singular as OR cannot change a subject from singular to plural.

One swimmer or More is a correct form ? Is there any difference between One swimmer or More AND one or more swimmers.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
saurya_s wrote:
Because of a similarity to dance, synchronized swimming—exhibition swimming in which the movements of one or more swimmers synchronize to a musical accompaniment—is sometimes called water ballet, especially in theatrical situations.

(A) of one or more swimmers synchronize to

(B) of one swimmer or more is synchronized with

(C) of one or more swimmers are synchronized with

(D) by one swimmer or more is synchronized to

(E) by one or more swimmers synchronize to

This question is based on Idiomatic Usage.

The verb ‘synchronize’ should be followed by the preposition ‘with’. The verb means to happen at the same time and speed. In this sentence, the idea is that the movements of the swimmers are synchronized with a musical accompaniment.

Since the idiomatic usage is incorrect in options A, D, and E, these options can be eliminated. In all these options, the verb ‘synchronized’ is followed by the preposition ‘to’.
Options D and E also have the phrase ‘movements by’ instead of ‘movements of’. This usage in these two options is also incorrect. So, Options A, D, and E can be ruled out.

Option B contains a subject-verb disagreement. The subject of the verb “are/is synchronized” is “the movements”. So, the verb must be plural. So, Option B can be eliminated.

Since Subject-verb agreement is maintained in Option A and the option also contains the appropriate idiomatic usage, Option A is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Send PM
Even if you do not know the idiom, you can get this one right, lets see:

(A) vs (C)

This one conveys that the "movements" synchronize by themselves to a musical accompaniment

In this option is clearly stated that movements are synchronized, by the authors of these movements, with a musical accompaniment

C) is the answer.

Best,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 360
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Because of a similarity to dance, synchronized swimming—exhibition swi [#permalink]
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
saurya_s wrote:
Because of a similarity to dance, synchronized swimming—exhibition swimming in which the movements of one or more swimmers synchronize to a musical accompaniment—is sometimes called water ballet, especially in theatrical situations.

(B) of one swimmer or more is synchronized with

(D) by one swimmer or more is synchronized to

(E) by one or more swimmers synchronize to

This question is based on Idiomatic Usage.

The verb ‘synchronize’ should be followed by the preposition ‘with’. The verb means to happen at the same time and speed. In this sentence, the idea is that the movements of the swimmers are synchronized with a musical accompaniment.

Since the idiomatic usage is incorrect in options A, D, and E, these options can be eliminated. In all these options, the verb ‘synchronized’ is followed by the preposition ‘to’.
Options D and E also have the phrase ‘movements by’ instead of ‘movements of’. This usage in these two options is also incorrect. So, Options A, D, and E can be ruled out.

Option B contains a subject-verb disagreement. The subject of the verb “are/is synchronized” is “the movements”. So, the verb must be plural. So, Option B can be eliminated.

Since Subject-verb agreement is maintained in Option A and the option also contains the appropriate idiomatic usage, Option A is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.

Hi!
I think there is a typo in the last part of the explanation. The OA is C not A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: Because of a similarity to dance, synchronized swimmingexhibition swi [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja AndrewNHaileyCusimano

In Option A, other than the idiom error, can we eliminate the option based on the subject ( movements) performing the action of synchronizing. We expect a passive voice instead of an active voice

Thanks
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts