Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [44]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Organizational Behavior
GMAT Date: 11-21-2012
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1711 [11]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 495 [8]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Education (Education)
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 790 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Re: Because of steep increases in the average price per box of cereal over [#permalink]
Kudos
D. Whether the prices that supermarkets charge for these cereals will reflect the lower prices the supermarkets will be paying the manufacturers

high prices >>> drop in sales

whole sale price dropped

high sale only if it results in lower price to consumer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [7]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Because of steep increases in the average price per box of cereal over [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
in 54 secs

D. Whether the prices that supermarkets charge for these cereals will reflect the lower prices the supermarkets will be paying the manufacturers

The manufacturers reduced the price so that the end users(customers) will find it cheap and hence the sale will grow, but if the supermarkets(intermediaries) doesn't sell the cereals at the reduced rate then the plan will fail.
so (D) wins.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Although d) appears to be the right answer, as per the explanation above, I previously concerned the overall demands of cereal that it may have dropped and unlikely to rebound shortly, since steep increases in average price per box of cereal has an effect over 10 years. The overall sales might take some time to rebound.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:
(D). This is a classic logic gap: the argument assumes that wholesale price is linked to sale price. Notice how the GMAT disguises the gap: by using the word "price" twice to make us think these concepts are the same.

Yes Mr. Jacobs, I noticed that but on the other hand, one needs to assume that people by on supermarkets rather than in other distribution channels. I believe this type of assumption is acceptable and by no means is going to far out, but still, one could clarify this much better in the given question

Cheers
J
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Bookmarks
Option D.
There is a gap in the argument:wholesale prices have declined-->sales will increase.
The intermediaries have been ignored ie the retailers and distributors.
Option D takes that into account.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Kudos
thevenus wrote:
in 54 secs

The manufacturers reduced the price so that the end users(customers) will find it cheap and hence the sale will grow, but if the supermarkets(intermediaries) doesn't sell the cereals at the reduced rate then the plan will fail.
so (D) wins.

Hi thevenus,

noticed that you began your reasoning with 'in 54 secs' , that's really impressive timings.
how did you reach to such a level of reading and comprehending and then reasoning ?
any tips for newbies?

thanks
lucky
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q48 V17
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
D: Whether the prices that supermarkets charge for these cereals will reflect the lower prices the supermarkets will be paying the manufacturers
a.YES-strengthen the conclusion
b.NO-weaken the conclusion

D is the right answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
I am stunned no one has selected/discussed 'A'

I think A gives a scenario of increasing prices (which according to the argument should decrease sales)
Whereas D talks only about supermarkets which could just be a subset of all sellers.

How did everyone manage to eliminate A. Can you pls point this out to me?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Answer choice A gives a probable reason why the prices have increased over a period of 10 years. Nothing about how likely is the plan of the manufacturers to improve sales works out.
The answer choice (question to ask to evaluate) should be something that should question the validity of the conclusion which the manufacturers made i.e., "likely that the level of overall sales of cereal will rise significantly, because of a wholesale price cut of 20%"
Answer choice D is the only one that questions this conclusion.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Because of steep increases in the average price per box of cereal over the last 10 years, overall sales of cereal have recently begun to drop. In an attempt to improve sales, one major cereal manufacturer reduced the wholesale prices of its cereals by 20 percent. Since most other cereal manufacturers have announced that they will follow suit, it is likely that the level of overall sales of cereal will rise significantly.

Type - evaluate
Boil it down - cereal manufacturer will decrease wholesale price of its cereals by 20% --> boost overall sales

A. Whether the high marketing expenses of the highly competitive cereal market led to the increase in cereal prices - Irrelevant - we are not concerned about the reason that led to increase in prices at the first place

B. Whether cereal manufacturers use marketing techniques that encourage brand loyalty among consumers- Irrelevant

C. Whether the variety of cereals available on the market has significantly increased over the last 10 years- Irrelevant

D. Whether the prices that supermarkets charge for these cereals will reflect the lower prices the supermarkets will be paying the manufacturers - Correct - retail price may not reflect the decrease in wholesale price of cereal

E. Whether the sales of certain types of cereal have declined disproportionately over the last 10 years - Irrelevant

Answer D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
GPA: 3.33
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
right, when ones read the options too quickly, all options look same.

A. Whether the high marketing expenses of the highly competitive cereal market led to the increase in cereal prices

B. Whether cereal manufacturers use marketing techniques that encourage brand loyalty among consumers

C. Whether the variety of cereals available on the market has significantly increased over the last 10 years

E. Whether the sales of certain types of cereal have declined disproportionately over the last 10 years
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Type: Evaluate the argument (conclusion).

Conclusion: it is likely that the level of overall sales of cereal will rise significantly.

(A) Whether the high marketing expenses of the highly competitive cereal market led to the increase in cereal prices
- what ''led'' to the increase in cereal prices is irrelevant to the conclusion drawn.

(B) Whether cereal manufacturers use marketing techniques that encourage brand loyalty among consumers
- knowing the ''marketing techniques'' does not help us establish/weaken the conclusion.

(C) Whether the variety of cereals available on the market has significantly increased over the last 10 years
- the variety of cereals is irrelevant to the passage.

(D) Whether the prices that supermarkets charge for these cereals will reflect the lower prices the supermarkets will be paying the manufacturers - if the answer is yes, then it would imply that reducing wholesale prices would ultimately lead to lower purchase prices for consumers, a new price level that should lead to increased sales. If the answer is no, then it would imply that the purchase prices for consumers will still remain high and hence the overall sales will not increase. Therefore, (D) helps us evaluate the argument. Hence, (D) is the right answer choice.

(E) Whether the sales of certain types of cereal have declined disproportionately over the last 10 years
- irrelevant.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts