Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [8]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32900 [5]
Given Kudos: 5777
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Re: Because of the proximity and likeness of Mars to Earth, scientists hav [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi GMATNinja & VeritasKarishma
I was wondering could one of you experts please explain why option C is incorrect for Q3? In the passage, we are given that "More recent probes have focused on whether there was once water on Mars. Some scientists believe that this question is definitively answered by the presence of certain geological landforms." We know that the question is certainly answered but we don't know if its a yes or a no that the water does exist on Mars. Based on this I opted for option C. Option A I can see why it can be a right answer because in the passage, we are given that "...Wind erosion OR carbon dioxide oceans, may be responsible for these formations" whereas option A says "Wind erosion AND carbon dioxide oceans are responsible for certain geological landforms on Mars". I am not fully satisfied with option A being the correct answer as it merely hinges on one technical word; however, I can see why it can be the right answer.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32900 [1]
Send PM
Re: Because of the proximity and likeness of Mars to Earth, scientists hav [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello Udai
manjot123 Impressed by your performance! :cool:
jaisrajat
RaquelR1409
JS1290

Guys! there were few errors with questions so i have removed the question #1 and replaced question # 3 and 4. Please take this passage again and report your revised performance. I will post the OE in 24 hours.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Schools: ISB'22
Send PM
Kudos
1. The passage is primarily concerned with which of the following?

(A) disproving a widely accepted theory Incorrect. No theory discussed.
(B) initiating a debate about the possibility of life on Mars. Incorrect. No debate. The passage is most one sided.
(C) presenting evidence in support of a controversial claim. Incorrect. Findings are discussed but there is no controversy.
(D) describing the various discoveries made concerning the possibility of life on Mars. Correct. The passage revolves around the possibility of life on Mars. This is the main point.
(E) detailing the findings of the Mars rovers Opportunity and Spirit. Incorrect .Partial scope.

2. Each of the following discoveries is mentioned in the passage EXCEPT

(A) Wind erosion and carbon dioxide oceans are responsible for certain geological landforms on Mars. Correct. This is a speculation and not a discovery. Others posit that different explanations, such as wind erosion or carbon dioxide oceans, may be responsible for these formations.
(B) Mars does not have a substantial global magnetic field. Incorrect. Mentioned.
(C) Mars does not currently have water activity. Incorrect. Mentioned.
(D) The length of day on Mars is similar to that on Earth. Incorrect. Mentioned.
(E) The axial tilt of Mars is similar to that of Earth. Incorrect. Mentioned.

3. The passage suggests which of the following about polar ice caps?

(A) Until recently, the ones on Mars were thought to consist largely of carbon dioxide. Incorrect.
(B) The ones on Mars are made almost entirely of frozen water. Incorrect
(C) They are also found on Earth. Correct. As early as the mid 17th century, astronomers observed polar ice caps on Mars, and by the mid-19th century, scientists discovered other similarities to Earth, including the length of day and axial tilt.
(D) Their formation is tied to length of day and axial tilt. Incorrect.
(E) They indicate that conditions on the planet Mars were once very different than they are at present. Incorrect.

4. It can be inferred from the passage that scientists would be more likely to suspect that Mars once held life if there were evidence of which of the following features?

(A) Carbon dioxide oceans. Incorrect.
(B) Celestial radiation and solar wind. Incorrect.
(C) High daily level of sunlight reaching the planet's surface. Incorrect
(D) Volcanic eruptions. Incorrect.
(E) A significant global magnetic field. Correct. This is suggested by the line "And in the 1990s, it was discovered that Mars, unlike Earth, no longer possessed a substantial global magnetic field,"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.56
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
in question 5 how can B be inferred … pls explain
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [0]
Given Kudos: 258
MISSION : 800
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Udai wrote:
in question 5 how can B be inferred … pls explain

Hi

Few basically means lack of something

The first para says " scientists have long speculated about the possibility of life on Mars. As early as the mid-17th century "

This means that scientists have been working before the 17th century and got some healthy results in 17th and dr was some lack of evidence before that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
is this an Official Question?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32900 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello jaisrajat

This passage belongs to Manhattan GMAT Prep. See the tags attached with the question.

jaisrajat wrote:
is this an Official Question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 214
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V29
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Official Explanation

1. The passage is primarily concerned with which of the following?

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

(A) There is no widely accepted theory, just speculation. Plus, that speculation is more positive than negative! (Out of scope)

(B) The passage does discuss a potential theory (that there may once have been life on Mars), but the passage itself does not initiate any debate. Rather, it reports on various findings and opinions of others. (Out of scope)

(C) The earliest mentioned interest in Mars was in the mid-seventeenth century; this is not recent. (One word off)

(D) CORRECT.The passage does describe various discoveries made in the mid-seventeenth and mid-nineteenth centuries, as well as more recently, concerning the possibility of life on Mars.

(E) The passage does discuss this, but the rovers are passage detail; they are not the overall point of the passage. (True but not right)

2. Each of the following discoveries is mentioned in the passage EXCEPT

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The question indicates that four of the answers are mentioned in the passage, so this is a detail EXCEPT question. The entire passage is about discoveries, so go straight to the first answer choice and try to find it in the passage.

(A) CORRECT. The passage says only that wind erosion or carbon dioxide may be responsible for certain geological landforms, not that they are. This is an unusual form of an Extreme answer: though the word are is not an extreme word itself, it is more extreme than may. (Extreme)

(B) True. The first paragraph says that Mars no longer possessed a global magnetic field.

(C) True. The second paragraph says that Mars rovers Opportunity and Spirit…discovered geological evidence of past water activity.

(D) True. The first paragraph states that scientists discovered similarities to Earth, including the length of day.

(E) True. The first paragraph states that scientists discovered similarities to Earth, including the… axial tilt.

3. The passage suggests which of the following about polar ice caps?

Difficulty Level: 500

Explanation

The word suggests points to an inference question. The passage mentions polar ice caps in the first paragraph:

As early as the mid-seventeenth century, astronomers observed polar ice caps on Mars, and by the mid-nineteenth century, scientists discovered other similarities to Earth, including the length of day and axial tilt.

The second half of the sentence states that scientists discovered other similarities to Earth, implying that polar ice caps are also a similarity between the two planets.

(A) The passage does mention carbon dioxide, but not in the context of polar ice caps. (Mix-up)

(B) The passage does not provide any information about the content of polar ice caps. (Out of scope)

(C) CORRECT. The sentence says that scientists discovered other similarities to Earth, implying that the earlier discovery (polar ice caps) is also similar to what is found on Earth.

(D) The passage mentions length of day and axial tilt as examples of other similarities to Earth, but it does not indicate that those had anything to do with the formation of polar ice caps. (Out of scope)

(E) It's possible that someone might believe this, but the passage does not provide any information to indicate that conditions were once very different. (Out of scope)

4. It can be inferred from the passage that scientists would be more likely to suspect that Mars once held life if there were evidence of which of the following features?

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

This is an inference question. Both paragraphs discuss characteristics that are possible indicators of life. Because there are so many, go straight to the answers and try to find them in the passage. But first, remind yourself that the passage also discusses characteristics that are incompatible with life. Read carefully!

(A)The second paragraph mentions that carbon dioxide oceans, rather than water, might be responsible for certain land forms, and the passage makes clear that water is an important indicator of possible life. Carbon dioxide oceans, then, would weaken the evidence for water presence, and so would not increase the chances of life. (Direct contradiction)

(B) The first paragraph mentions celestial radiation and solar wind in the context of a scenario in which there is not life. (Direct contradiction)

(C) You might posit that abundant sunlight would improve the odds of life, but the passage does not provide any information about this. (Out of scope)

(D) The passage does not provide any information about volcanic eruptions. (Out of scope)

(E) CORRECT. The first paragraph indicates that Mars, unlike Earth, does not have a substantial global magnetic field and presents this information as a negative in the debate about life on Mars. The implication, then, is that a global magnetic field would be positive evidence in favor of life on Mars.

Hope it helps

The question 4 is asking that the scientist will doubt about life on Mars if it’s found. In that case should be answer. Please clarify.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 214
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V29
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Hello Udai
jaisrajat
RaquelR1409
JS1290

Guys! there were few errors with questions so i have removed the question #1 and replaced question # 3 and 4. Please take this passage again and report your revised performance. I will post the OE in 24 hours.

Thanks

Kindly elaborate more on the intended meaning of Question 4.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
robu1 wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Hello Udai
jaisrajat
RaquelR1409
JS1290

Thanks

Kindly elaborate more on the intended meaning of Question 4.

Hi robu1,

Intended meaning of question 4 is : Which of the following evidence would help Scientists suspect that there was once life on Mars.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja - for question 3, why is E wrong ?

Reason why I chose E is because :

1) The passage does say, that astronomers observed polar ice caps on Mars in 17th century.

2) The passage then says, actually in 1965 -- the Mariner took photos of Mars and there were no rivers or oceans.

Thus, in the 17th century, ice caps were present on Mars and now in the 1960's onwards, ice caps are no longer there

The obvious inference is, the conditions on Mars changed because the ice-caps are no longer present as of 1960.

Hence the ice-caps indicated at one times, conditions were different so much so, that ice caps were possible on Mars at one time
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja - for question 3, why is E wrong ?

Reason why I chose E is because :

1) The passage does say, that astronomers observed polar ice caps on Mars in 17th century.

2) The passage then says, actually in 1965 -- the Mariner took photos of Mars and there were no rivers or oceans.

Thus, in the 17th century, ice caps were present on Mars and now in the 1960's onwards, ice caps are no longer there

The obvious inference is, the conditions on Mars changed because the ice-caps are no longer present as of 1960.

Hence the ice-caps indicated at one times, conditions were different so much so, that ice caps were possible on Mars at one time

It is important to note the timelines here.

The first paragraph suggests that polar ice caps were observed in 17th century (no proof) and other similarities were observed in 19th century. This would suggest that life may exist on Mars to because it is similar to Earth.

But the second paragraph clarifies that things are not so. Upon close observation by more recent probes (perhaps 20th century), we know that there is no water now. The question is whether there was water at some point. The geographical features observed today could be because of water or they could be because of other things such as carbon dioxide oceans (what astronomers thought in 20th century so 17th century observations are annulled).

But the rovers have now (2004 onwards) discovered evidence that there was water at some point. When, we don't know.

Can we say that Mars was much different once? Polar ice caps do not indicate any such thing.

The only thing that the passage suggests about polar ice caps is that Earth has those too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I don't understand explanation for Question 4.

I actually chose A as the answer for option 4. In the official explanation for A, as I understand, Carbon dioxide oceans and certain land formations are taken as absence of water on Mars. Can someone explain why? To me, it seems as if bringing outside knowledge. VeritasKarishma Sajjad1994
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Sajjad1994, this passage is tagged as a "business" passage. Could you please change the tag to "science"? The tag might mislead a few people. :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts