It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 04:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 548 [1], given: 75

Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
Because of the recent transformation of the market [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 01:26
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:
Because of the recent transformation of the market, Quore Inc. must increase productivity 10 percent over the course of the next two years or it will certainly go bankrupt. In fact, however, Quore's production structure is such that if a 10 percent productivity increase is possible, then a 20 percent increase is attainable. If the statements above are true, which one of the following must on the basis of them also be true?

(A) It is only Quore's production structure that makes it possible for Quore to survive the transformation of the market.

(B) Quore will not go bankrupt if it achieves a productivity increase of 20 percent over the next two years.

(C) If the market had not been transformed, Quore would have required no productivity increase in order to avoid bankruptcy.

(D) Because of the transformation of the market Quore will achieve a productivity increase of 10 percent over the next two years.

(E) If a 20 percent productivity increase is unattainable for Quore, then it must go bankrupt.

could not understand how option E is correct . E is same as saying that ' if i can lift 50kgs, then i can also lift 100kgs, but if i cannot lift 100kgs, then i cannot lift 50 kgs too .'
can someone please explain.

Thanks,
Lucky

Last edited by Lucky2783 on 06 Apr 2015, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 98

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge
Re: Because of the recent transformation of the market [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 04:47
(B) Quore will not go bankrupt if it achieves a productivity increase of 20 percent over the next two years.

(E) If a 20 percent productivity increase is unattainable for Quore, then it must go bankrupt.

I highly doubt the OA = E. The passage only says that 20% can be attained (i.e. it is a possibility), but is not a criteria for bankruptcy. The 10% increase is the criteria to avoid bankruptcy.

IMO, choice (B) should be the right answer.

Can some one explain why OA = E?

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 98

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [2], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 05:32
This post received
KUDOS
It is "must also be true" qq. So, we have to actually find an option which is nothing but echoing the conclusion of the passage.

(A) It is only Quore's production structure that makes it possible for Quore to survive the transformation of the market.
- Nowhere anything similar mentioned in the passage.

- It means if quore achieves a productivity of 10 percent then it will go bankrupt. Hence this statement too is not the correct one.

(C) If the market had not been transformed, Quore would have required no productivity increase in order to avoid bankruptcy.
- Market need not to take any action for quora. Irrelevant.

(D) Because of the transformation of the market Quore will achieve a productivity increase of 10 percent over the next two years.
- Nowhere in the passage, mentioned anything similar to this.

- 20 percent productivity will be attainable by itself as soon as Quore attains 10 percent and being unattainable for 10 percent means Quore will go bankrupt. Hence correct.

Experts can also add in case I am missing/misinterpreting something important.

On the way ..
- Alok K G.

Kudos [?]: 5 [2], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [1], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
Changing market trend--->Need in prod increase of 10%(20% not necessary)--->avoid bankrupt.
If 10% attained 20% is possible.

No Info of only structure is reason.. Out

Cant say that. 10% will evade bankruption. But 20% need not because no info abt it. What if excess prod leads to bankruption?

Yes. Bankruption is a result of <10% increase in production need that is inturn a result of market transformation. just like no demand, no need..

Not given in passage..

We cant say that. Premise says that if 10% is possible 20% is attainable. that means if 10% is possible WITH EXTRA EFFORTS 20% is possible(means attainable).. But I dont know how this became an answer.. Please help...

Kudos [?]: 33 [1], given: 20

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
I guess since it is must be true question , we hv to use no information outside the stem And assume all that given is 100% true . Be it 'sun rise from south or dog hunt the sparrow in sky' .
with that in mind , if 20% is unattainable then we shld ask that why it is unattainable? .as per stem 20% will be unattainable only when 10% is not achieved, implying bankruptcy.

Thats the only reasoning i could think of.

Thanks,
Lucky

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 175

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2015, 22:36
souvik101990 . .
Can you please explain why E is OA here ?

Press +1 Kudos if you find this Post helpful :)

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 175

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 09:06
I'm not following the logic to this answer either. Can anyone add some insight?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 16:34
Lucky2783 wrote:
could not understand how option E is correct . E is same as saying that ' if i can lift 50kgs, then i can also lift 100kgs, but if i cannot lift 100kgs, then i cannot lift 50 kgs too .'
can someone please explain.

The way I understand it (and I could very well be incorrect), the if-then statement goes as follows: if this first statement is true, then this second statement is also true. So, your analogy should be the other way around. It should read "if I can lift 100kg, then I can lift 50kg." From this, we can see that if you CANNOT lift 50kg, then you CANNOT lift 100kg, and that makes sense, doesn't it?

Same concept applies in the question. According to the passage. if 10% is possible, then 20% is attainable. So, if 20% is NOT attainable, then 10% is NOT possible, and so, the company will go bankrupt.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 145

WE: Project Management (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 02:40
souvik101990 wrote:
Because of the recent transformation of the market, Quore Inc. must increase productivity 10 percent over the course of the next two years or it will certainly go bankrupt. In fact, however, Quore's production structure is such that if a 10 percent productivity increase is possible, then a 20 percent increase is attainable. If the statements above are true, which one of the following must on the basis of them also be true?

can't understand the logic behind E. i marked B.

Stalwarts, please help. :)

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 145

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 475

Schools: ESADE '16, HKU'16, SMU '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 03:41
souvik101990 ,

Can u plz help with ur explanation for (E) ? Can't understand how B is incorrect.

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 475

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17717 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 10:26
Quote:
The logical fallacy is:
Fact: X happens ==> Y MUST happen
Conclusion: X does not happen ==> Y MUST NOT happen
This is wrong conclusion. Why?
Because X is only one of many factors that cause Y happen. If X does not happen, other factor may cause Y happen.

For example:
Fact: I have a flu ==> I MUST stay at home to avoid further health problem
Conclusion: I don't have a flu ==> I MUST NOT stay at home to avoid further health problem

Is the conclusion correct? Nope, because flu is only one of many factors that causes health problem. Even I don't have a flu, but doctor recommends me that "I MUST stay at home" because there's a seasonal flu and many people are infected.

Back to the question.
market transformation happens ==> Quore MUST increase productivity to avoid bankruptcy
market transformation DOES NOT happen ==> Quore MUST NOT increase productivity to avoid bankruptcy
==> WRONG because market transformation IS NOT THE ONLY FACTOR. For example: Quore did not increase productivity, but the company still went to bankruptcy because of aggressive competition or its customer went to bankruptcy and did not make payment on time, blah blah......

Hope it helps.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17717 [0], given: 1986

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2015, 08:49
Thanks Souvik. E seems very clear to me too. This is an inference question. I now that that the key to getting these right is knowing that the right answer must be true 100%. A-E are dog s+@t. They might happen, but we don’t know for sure.

With E though, we know Quore Inc. must increase productivity 10 percent over the course of the next two years or it will certainly go bankrupt.

We also know that if a 10 percent productivity increase is possible, then a 20 percent increase is attainable. So if 10, then it can also do 20. So basically 20 is the same thing as 10.

What happens if Quore Inc. can’t hit 20, then it can’t hit 10 either.
What happens if Quore Inc. can’t it 10? Kaboom! The company will go bankrupt.

This answer has to be true 100% given the facts.

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2015, 20:15
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 264

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Quore’s production structure----Please explain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 09:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore, Inc., must increase productivity, 10 percent over the course of the next two years, or it will certainly go bankrupt. In fact, however, Quore’s production structure is such that if a 10 percent productivity increase is possible, then a 20 percent increase is attainable.
If the statements above are true, which one of the following must on the basis of them also be true?

(A) It is only Quore’s production structure that makes it possible for Quore to survive the transformation of the market.
(D) Because of the transformation of the market, Quore will achieve a productivity increase of 10 percent over the next two years.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 264

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1119 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Quore’s production structure----Please explain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 11:00
sananoor wrote:
Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore, Inc., must increase productivity, 10 percent over the course of the next two years, or it will certainly go bankrupt. In fact, however, Quore’s production structure is such that if a 10 percent productivity increase is possible, then a 20 percent increase is attainable.

If the statements above are true, which one of the following must on the basis of them also be true?

(A) It is only Quore’s production structure that makes it possible for Quore to survive the transformation of the market.
(D) Because of the transformation of the market, Quore will achieve a productivity increase of 10 percent over the next two years.

Good one !!

If 20% production is possible ====> 10% production is possible

If 20% production is not possible ====> 10% production is not possible====> Bankruptcy.

None but option (E) correctly matches our understanding, hence this is the correct answer.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 23:53
I dont see why C) is incorrect. The question states that because of market transformation, Quora must increase productivity.
It doesnt state any other reason why productivity had to be increased, so we cant assume that Quora had to increase productivity otherwise.

I understand why E) is also a possible answer, but I think C) works too.

Board of Directors
G

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 00:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
GallivantingPanda wrote:
I dont see why C) is incorrect. The question states that because of market transformation, Quora must increase productivity.
It doesnt state any other reason why productivity had to be increased, so we cant assume that Quora had to increase productivity otherwise.

I understand why E) is also a possible answer, but I think C) works too.

The stimulus states -

Quote:
Because of the recent transformation of the market.

Market transformation is going to happen and it is beyond the scope of Quore, Inc. to control , thus Market transformation id a external factor which is going to happen the next possible course of action to survive in the changing market place is to increase production by 10% in the following 2 years.

Please feel free to revert in case of any doubt.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 8

GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 04:22
(A) It is only Quore’s production structure that makes it possible for Quore to survive the transformation of the market. We don't know that, the text tells us only that the production structure is such that if 10% increase is attainable then also it's 20%
(B) Quore will not go bankrupt if it achieves a productivity increase of 20 percent over the next two years. We don't know how the market is gonna be. What if another change in the market happens the year after and Quore needs a 50% increase?
(C) If the market had not been transformed, Quore would have required no productivity increase in order to avoid bankruptcy. The text doesn't say anything about the previous situation. Quore could have needed an increase of 5%. It's not the 10% required after the market transformation but it's still an increase.
(D) Because of the transformation of the market, Quore will achieve a productivity increase of 10 percent over the next two years. Not true. Quore needs to reach a 10% increase or it will go bankrupt for sure, but we don't know if Quore will succeed.
(E) If a 20 percent productivity increase is unattainable for Quore, then it must go bankrupt. True. If 20% is possible then 10% is possible, and if 10% is not reached Quore will go bankrupt

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 07:58
what if the productivity is 18%.Does this mean Quore will go bankrupt because it is off by 2%. I dont feel E is correct

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Concentration: Strategy
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 08:24
pkm9995109794 wrote:
what if the productivity is 18%.Does this mean Quore will go bankrupt because it is off by 2%. I dont feel E is correct

No, it will not. T
If it crosses 10% it can go up to 20%. So, the Q of 18% will not hold

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: Quore’s production structure----Please explain   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2016, 08:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 51 posts ] 

Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap