GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 19:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 02:29
Very good question indeed.
I missed it because of B.
But the actual answer is E.

The previous explanations are pretty clear.
Thanks All.

What was previously considered impossible is now obvious reality.
In the past, people used to open doors with their hands. Today, doors open "by magic" when people approach them

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 03:47
gautrang wrote:
onedayill wrote:
I myself choose B,

but after reading your explanation; If I would have thought in reverse direction then I would have chosen E;

In b/w B and E. I'll go with B
because both of these stmts contradict each other.

I think bad question ...

Source please?

It is actually a really good question my friend,

B is incorrect because:
The premise only say : "If not 10%, it will bankrupt", it never say anything about what if you achieve 10%, hell, you may still go bankrupt or you not, we don't know.

It is like saying "If David Beckham doesn't play, LA Galaxy will lose" but hey, even when Backham play, the LA Galaxy still lose, we only know for sure that the LA Galaxy will 100% lose if Beckham doesn't play.

Very good explanation. Thank you and Kudo.
Manager
Manager
B
Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 08:45
Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore, Inc., must increase productivity, 10 percent over the course of the next two years, or it will certainly go bankrupt. In fact, however, Quore’s production structure is such that if a 10 percent productivity increase is possible, then a 20 percent increase is attainable.
If the statements above are true, which one of the following must on the basis of them also be true?

This a must be true question with all premises and no conclusion. The argument states that if Quore Inc does not increase productivity >>it will go bankrupt. Second: if a 10% is possible >> 20% increase is attainable.

Let's look at the answer options one by one.

(A) It is only Quore’s production structure that makes it possible for Quore to survive the transformation of the market: Nowhere in the argument is this stated. It does not mention about other production structures other than Quore's.

B) Quore will not go bankrupt if it achieves a productivity increase of 20 percent over the next two years.- This option mistakes a sufficient condition for a necessary condition. If a 10%>20% increase is not guaranteed it will go bankrupt. However, this does not mean that a 20% increase will necessarily mean no bankruptcy. X leads to Y can meant "Not Y>>Not X". However, it can't mean Not X leads to Not Y. X is "not achieving 10% here" and Y is "bankruptcy".
So, this means not achieveing 10% leads to bankruptcy. However, achieving 10% does not lead to no bankruptcy situation (notX>>notY not being equal )

(C) If the market had not been transformed, Quore would have required no productivity increase in order to avoid bankruptcy. - nothing substantiates this

(D) Because of the transformation of the market, Quore will achieve a productivity increase of 10 percent over the next two years. - not necessarily true, they may or may not achieve

(E) If a 20 percent productivity increase is unattainable for Quore, then it must go bankrupt. - Yes!. This is a reformed version of X>>Y. If it does attain the increase, it will go bankrupt. Since 10%>>20% (as given in the argument)., so if 20% is not there, it means 10% is also not there. Hence, 20% can be used in place 10% here. E is correct.
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Education)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 03:45
Good question.

Here is my take.

Let's begin by identifying the necessary conditions and the results.

Necessary conditions
#1 Transformation of the markets
#2 Productivity increase

Sufficient condition ? Not given in the passage

Result
No bankcruptcy

A. No. The production structure is such that a 10% increase in productivity is only possible not guaranteed. Moreover we cannot say that there is a link between survival and productivity. Maybe there is. But we cannot say for sure
D. Not necessary. We are only told that a 10% increase is POSSIBLE

B. Satisfying a NECESSARY CONDITION does not guarantee the RESULT. But satisfying both NECESSARY AND SUFFICIENT CONDITIONS only guarantees the RESULT. In the question we do not have any sufficient conditions mentioned. So either they are met or not met. So we cannot be sure. OUT
C According to this statement if #1 did not happen, #2 would not have happened. Again #1 is a NECESSARY CONDITION and NOT a sufficient condition. There could be other reasons to increase productivity. OUT

E Only this choice logically follows. If 20% is not attainable, 10% is not possible and if 10% is not possible then bankruptcy is imminent.T THE CONTRAPOSITIVE MUST BE TRUE. IF SUFFICIENT conditions are met but NECESSARY CONDITIONS are not met, then the we do not get the RESULT
Re: Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore,   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2018, 03:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 44 posts ] 

Because of the recent transformation of the market. Quore,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap