Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [8]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [3]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Because red flags are likely to be raised at the IRS by the reporting [#permalink]
Kudos
My answer is (B). It took me 01:31.

(A) Gambling gain is indeed an unusual income. For one, only a minority of people engage in gambling. For another, many gamblers lose money while enriching the house.

So, when I first read this version, my reason of eliminating it was that the subordinate clause (introduced by because) does not explain the main clause. We can argue that, rightfully, if we understand "their income" means "gambling income", the relationship between two clauses is super clear. Without such epiphany, though, the use of "their income" flummoxes me.

Besides, the use of passive voice ("be raised") does not sport direct writing style.

(B) "that income" makes this version's meaning so much clearer! Only after reading (B) did I start to appreciate the meaning of (A). One word change (from "their" to "that") makes such a huge difference!

Besides, no passive voice is used.

(C) Again, a reasonable reader could not immediately understand the intended meaning of "reporting the income as business revenue.“ Making reader guess is not a writing style GMAT espouses.

(D) See above.
Also, passive voice is used.

(E) This part "because of the red flags not having been raised at the IRS by the reporting of gambling income" is just too convoluted to bear. Also, passive voice is used.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Because red flags are likely to be raised at the IRS by the reporting [#permalink]
Kudos
Because red flags are likely to be raised at the IRS by the reporting of gambling income, business owners who report their income as business revenue is less likely to undergo an audit.

Quote:
A) Because red flags are likely to be raised at the IRS by the reporting of gambling income, business owners who report their income as business revenue is less likely to undergo an audit.
Meaning inconsistent. S-V verb tense error.
Quote:
B) Because the reporting of gambling income is likely to raise red flags at the IRS, business owners can reduce their chances of undergoing an audit by reporting that income as business revenue.
"That" here looks ambiguous in initial go and I too crossed it out in the first go, but after going through all the answer choices, "meaning" of this sentence makes much more sense and also the referent of "that" comes out of the shadow as "gambling income". Author wants Business dealers to not disclose their incomes as gambling incomes rather disclose "that" income as business income or their will be "Audit". So, this is the correct answer choice in that view. Correct.
Quote:
C) Business owners can reduce their chances of undergoing an audit by reporting the income as business revenue, because the reporting of gambling income is likely to raise red flags at the IRS.
Though grammatically correct, the meaning of this sentence is slightly off. This sentence makes it seem that business and gambling incomes as two separate entities whereas both are actually the same. Incorrect.
Quote:
D) Their chances of undergoing an audit are reduced by business owners who report that income as business revenue, because the reporting of gambling income is likely to raise red flags at the IRS.
What does "their" refer to here exactly? This sentence is absolute bs. Incorrect.
Quote:
E) The reporting of that income as business revenue can reduce the chances of business owners of undergoing an audit, because of the red flags not having been raised at the IRS by the reporting of gambling income.
"that" income? What that income? Non-sensible.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [1]
Send PM
Re: Because red flags are likely to be raised at the IRS by the reporting [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
You can find the official explanation by clicking here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 530 Q44 V20
Send PM
Re: Because red flags are likely to be raised at the IRS by the reporting [#permalink]
Hi

if any Expert can help me on this

The question stem talks about business owners who generally report their gambling Income as Business revenue is( correct is are) less likely to undergo Audit but the correct choice says business owners can reduce their chances of undergoing an audit by reporting that income as business revenue. Is this shift from Original Question/intended meaning acceptable. ( Mu doubt is if original stem talks about something that has already happened or on going thing i.e. "Business owners who report" then can correct choice be in "Can reduce" form.

A. Because red flags are likely to be raised at the IRS by the reporting of gambling income, business owners who report their income as business revenue is less likely to undergo an audit.

B. Because the reporting of gambling income is likely to raise red flags at the IRS, business owners can reduce their chances of undergoing an audit by reporting that income as business revenue.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Vikas1993 wrote:
Hi

if any Expert can help me on this

The question stem talks about business owners who generally report their gambling Income as Business revenue is( correct is are) less likely to undergo Audit but the correct choice says business owners can reduce their chances of undergoing an audit by reporting that income as business revenue. Is this shift from Original Question/intended meaning acceptable. ( Mu doubt is if original stem talks about something that has already happened or on going thing i.e. "Business owners who report" then can correct choice be in "Can reduce" form.

A. Because red flags are likely to be raised at the IRS by the reporting of gambling income, business owners who report their income as business revenue is less likely to undergo an audit.

B. Because the reporting of gambling income is likely to raise red flags at the IRS, business owners can reduce their chances of undergoing an audit by reporting that income as business revenue.

Do not treat option (A) any differently from other four options. (A) is just one of five versions, and our aim is to find one best version (with no grammar error, no ridiculous meaning or convoluted style, etc.) Evaluate each option without taking the explicit or implied meaning of choice (A) into consideration. That is the right mindset we shall adopt.

(A) is not the arbiter of the "intended meaning". We are not the author, so we really do not know what "intended meaning" is.

Put it another way, any version can be option (A), and the best answer remains the same. Indeed, some third-party questions may actually rely on the "intended meaning" to eliminate choices. (You can also find those questions here.) Those questions are not well crafted.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts