Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [84]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [24]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [11]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneuship- Sustainable Manufacturing
Schools:Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
 Q43  V27 GMAT 2: 700  Q45  V41
GPA: 2.1
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4890 [6]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the Ameri [#permalink]
Kudos
Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the American Revolution personally, Mercy Otis Warren was continually at or near the center of political events from 1765 to 1789, a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make her one of the most valuable historians of the era.

A is just awful! "combining with her talent for writing" as ING verb is a modifier of the "point" (not correct, BTW), so the sentence seems to say
"a vantage point to make her (...)": this is not grammatically correct.
A)a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make

Be very literal in the interpretation of a sentence that uses "when", B seems to say that "this point made her (...) when combined with her talent", it's like saying that a thing happened when another thing occurs, hope it's clear...
B)a vantage point, when combined with her talent for writing, that made

The structure of C is not correct: if you connect the two clauses with "and" you are saying that this "point" made two thing, but those things are not connected.
C)a vantage point that combined with her talent for writing, 1st thing (BTW this part does not make sense if we use such construct)
and it made 2nd thing
this is not what the sentence tries to say

D is not a complete sentence: if you remove the which modifier
D)and this vantage point, which combined with her talent for writing to make (...) of the era.
you're left with "and this vantage point, ???". And the "vantage point" did not "combine her talent".

If we remove the modifier in E the sentence still makes sense, E is correct
E)and this vantage point (, combined with her talent for writing,) made
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [4]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the Ameri [#permalink]
Kudos
Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the American Revolution personally, Mercy Otis Warren was continually at or near the center of political events from 1765 to 1789, a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make her one of the most valuable historians of the ear

(a) a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make
Wrong. "combining" modifies "a vantage point". It's wrong, a vantage point should be combined (verb-ed modifier, not Verb-ing modifier)

(b) a vantage point, when combined with her talent for writing, that made
Wrong. The structure (a vantage point, when combined with X, that made....) is very awkward.

(c) a vantage point that combined with her talent for writing, and it made
Wrong. "it" is not clear. It refers to "a vantage point" only or "her talent".

(d) and this vantage point, which combined with her talent for writing to make
Wrong. "to make" is wrong. We don't talk about a plan, so "To + verb" does not convey the right meaning.

(e) and this vantage point, combined with her talent for writing, made
Correct. Verb-ed modifier (combined with....) is correct.

Hope it helps.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The intended meaning of the sentence is that the involvement of Mercy in the political events from 1765 to 1789 and her talent made her the most valuable historian...

A, B and C seem to change the intended meaning of the sentence.

D in entirety is an incomplete sentence

E is the best answer choice- Her involvement in the political events (this vantage point )combined with her talent made her the most valuable historian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Bookmarks
A tricky one but the correct answer is E

Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the American Revolution personally, Mercy Otis Warren was continually at or near the center of political events from 1765 to 1789, a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make her one of the most valuable historians of the era.

Since we are talking about past tense, the correct verb will be "made".

A) a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make
Wrong :- combining, to make wrong parallelism

B) a vantage point, when combined with her talent for writing, that made
HOLD IT Nothing wrong with it grammatically per se. This sentence can essentially be read as A vantage point when combined with her talent for writing, that made

C) a vantage point that combined with her talent for writing, and it made
Wrong :- Talent for writing and It made her one of the most famous... AND is only when both clauses have equal weightage and both are independent. In this case Her becoming famous is a result of her writing and thus one thing (writing) is causing other (becoming famous) .. so AND is wrong

D) and this vantage point, which combined with her talent for writing to make
Wrong:- combined , to make .. again wrong parallelism

E) and this vantage point, combined with her talent for writing, made
RIGHT :- better than option B.
Combined, made - parallel,
Use of And is correct. Marry being in centre (independent) and that vantage point making her famous... (independent) so both part of the sentence equal
In B the meaning comes as "Her vantage point made her famous. No it was not only the extraordinary circumstances that she was in centre of politics but also her writing abilities.
OPTION E brings the meaning more accurately
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Dear GMATGuruNY DmitryFarber,

Why is choice B. wrong?

Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the American Revolution personally, Mercy Otis Warren was continually at or near the center of political events from 1765 to 1789, a vantage point, WHEN combined with her talent for writing, that made her one of the most valuable historians of the era.

Some previous response says "when" is incorrect. But why is so?
Is it just because "when" is not preceded by "EVEN"?

Quote:
OA: November is traditionally the strongest month for sales of light trucks, but sales this past November, even when compared with sales in previous Novembers, accounted for a remarkably large share of total vehicle sales.

Below is explanation for similar OA here https://gmatclub.com/forum/?href=-is ... 03940.html
Quote:
Incorrect:
When compared with most sport utility vehicles, minivans get better gas mileage.
Here, the usage of when compared is unwarranted and conveys a nonsensical meaning, implying that minivans GET better mileage at the same time as they are COMPARED.
The following is sufficient to convey the intended meaning:
Compared with most sport utility vehicles, minivans get better gas mileage.

OA to the SC above:
Sales this past November, even when compared with sales in previous Novembers, accounted for a remarkably large share of total vehicle sales.
Here, the usage of even when compared serves a clear purpose.
It implies that one would expect similar sales figures for this past November and for previous Novembers but that -- EVEN WHEN this past November's sales ARE COMPARED -- they accounted for a remarkably large share.

In short:
The usage of even when compared is acceptable.
Be skeptical of an answer choice that includes when compared without even.

Why is choice B. in this question wrong?
I'm lost here. Please help sir :please:
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
varotkorn The issue here is more with the placement of the modifier than with the use of "when." If we want to say that when the vantage point was combined with her talent, it made her valuable, we should put this "when" modifier between "that" and "made": "A vantage point that, when combined . . . , made her . . . " In that placement, it clearly modifies the verb "made." Adverbial modifiers have some flexibility, but we still want to get them as close as we can to the action to avoid misunderstanding. One potential misunderstanding here would be to read "when combined" as a noun modifier for vantage point: her position is only a vantage point when combined with her writing skill. That doesn't make sense, but it still causes confusion while we're trying to sort out the correct meaning.

Additionally, "when" is actually a problem, since she presumably didn't sometimes combine her vantage point with her skill and other times not. "When" doesn't have any clear meaning here and would be best left out. "Combined" works all by itself, as seen in the OA.
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

(A) a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make "combining" suggests that the vantage point itself is combining with her talent. Eliminate.

(B) a vantage point, when combined with her talent for writing, that made Unnecessary change in meaning. "when" implies a condition - only on combining with talent did the vantage point make her valuable. Eliminate.

(C) a vantage point that combined with her talent for writing, and it made "it" has no antecedent. Eliminate.

(D) and this vantage point, which combined with her talent for writing to make Same meaning error as in (A) - suggests the vantage point itself combined. Eliminate.

(E) and this vantage point, combined with her talent for writing, made Correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
EducationAisle I went through the forum and there are experts who claim (B) has a meaning error. However, please could you elaborate on this. Rather I preferred (B) an "appositive phrase" over (E) a clause
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
EducationAisle I went through the forum and there are experts who claim (B) has a meaning error. However, please could you elaborate on this. Rather I preferred (B) an "appositive phrase" over (E) a clause

The usage of "when" is suspect in B Hoozan.

"when" is generally used to refer to a "time frame". In the phrase a vantage point, when combined with her talent for writing, "when" is obviously not referring to any specific timeframe.

That being the case, when in B is nonsensically suggesting that only in those specific instances/time-periods when vantage point was combined with her talent for writing, was she one of the most valuable historians of the era.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi AndrewN sir

A general question

When I saw this question, I solved it quickly and end up in choosing A. ( sentence xyz period, <absolute phrase>)
The structure looks good for A and B .
When I got wrong , I read the meaning and was clear with E immediately.

1. Usually I understand the general meaning --> shortlist --> pick with best meaning and standard .
This is one of the question I missed picking right option. Because of somewhat distorted structure, i overlooked the meaning. In this approach , usually I don't take more than a minute( at max) to solve SC questions.
2. If I change my approach , first meaning then structure . I end up in choosing 3 + options sometimes and that takes time , sometimes 100 seconds . So I changed approach to earlier approach(1)

Could you please share your opinion?
It's more like meaning vs speed. Were you used to get slowed down with meaning approach before ? How can I speed up?
Looking forward to hear comments . how did you crack this question and in how much time ? My bet under 20 seconds? :D

Thanks AndrewN sir :please:
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Hi AndrewN sir

A general question

When I saw this question, I solved it quickly and end up in choosing A. ( sentence xyz period, <absolute phrase>)
The structure looks good for A and B .
When I got wrong , I read the meaning and was clear with E immediately.

1. Usually I understand the general meaning --> shortlist --> pick with best meaning and standard .
This is one of the question I missed picking right option. Because of somewhat distorted structure, i overlooked the meaning. In this approach , usually I don't take more than a minute( at max) to solve SC questions.
2. If I change my approach , first meaning then structure . I end up in choosing 3 + options sometimes and that takes time , sometimes 100 seconds . So I changed approach to earlier approach(1)

Could you please share your opinion?
It's more like meaning vs speed. Were you used to get slowed down with meaning approach before ? How can I speed up?
Looking forward to hear comments . how did you crack this question and in how much time ? My bet under 20 seconds? :D

Thanks AndrewN sir :please:

Hello, mSKR. I think you may be chasing speed too much. Accuracy first. If the approach takes you 100 seconds at first, then so be it. My take on the question, via my newer color-coded image method:

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 06.10.48.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 06.10.48.png [ 98.04 KiB | Viewed 6325 times ]

First off, you can see that I spent over a minute on the question myself. Sometimes a longer sentence takes more time to sort out, and you do not want to get trigger-happy.

(A), (B), and (C) all start on questionable ground with the label a vantage point. What, exactly, is that vantage point? At or near the center of political events? I am not sure that works. When I read a vantage point on its own, I am anticipating a physical location, and this one seems more metaphorical (like being the center of attention). Still, my general rule is that if I am not certain something is wrong, I label it a doubt and seek easier points for elimination.

The combining phrase in (A) makes it sound as if the vantage point is joining with one of her talents, and this is too much for the sentence to bear. Combine with in its various forms should be more akin to in addition to or as well as in the context of the sentence. Simply put, a vantage point in addition to her talent for writing to make her [something] makes no sense.

I see that (B) is the most popular incorrect answer as of this writing. A lot of people seem to overlook when, though. Even if you do not pick up on the subtle change in meaning that it creates, a meaning that is discussed earlier in the thread, you should look at it and ask, Is when absolutely necessary? Remove it, and the phrase conveys the same vital meaning: a vantage point, combined with her talent for writing, that made... If when is not necessary, then why would we select this answer choice, not to mention that the combined with element is still a problem. How about we swap it out for as well as this time? A vantage point, when as well as her talent for writing, that made... Yes, this one is definitely out.

(C) misses the mark for the same combined with misuse, and now we get this mysterious it as the subject of the second independent clause. Is it the vantage point? But I thought it was the combination of vantage point and writing talent that made her a valuable historian. After (A) and (B), this should be an easy elimination.

The which clause in (D) subordinates all the information that follows, and without the addition of another comma, the second clause that begins and this vantage point never resolves. SC 101 on full display right here.

In (E), combined with finally makes sense: this vantage point, in addition to her talent for writing, made her [something]. The process of elimination can help you reach this answer, but so, too, can a meaning-based approach.

In short, do not rush SC. When I started, I would often answer questions in under 45 seconds, and sometimes, the subtler questions would get me into trouble, and getting annoyed with myself enough times, I slowed my approach. My accuracy increased to new heights thereafter.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
and this vantage point, combined with her talent for writing, made
Does not the part within the comma makes it a non-essential part conveying that only vantage point made her one valuable historian? However, as per meaning vantage point along with her talent for writing made her valuable historian.
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SolankiDas wrote:
aDoes not the part within the comma makes it a non-essential part conveying that only vantage point made her one valuable historian?

Yes—and that's definitely the most accurate way to write the sentence.

The two contributing factors mentioned—Ms. Warren's perspective/vantage point and her skill with the written word—are nowhere near equal in importance.

Writing talent, by itself, makes you... a talented writer. That's all.
Obviously, raw writing skill cannot make anybody a good historian, because you have to know history to be a good historian.

Ms. Warren's "vantage point", on the other hand, was the aggregate sense of perspective that she had accrued from being at the center of a seminal historical timeline and from personally knowing multiple key people firsthand.
This perspective is overwhelmingly what made her a great historian. Her writing talent helped incrementally, but wasn't nearly as essential to her prowess.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SolankiDas wrote:
and this vantage point, combined with her talent for writing, made
Does not the part within the comma makes it a non-essential part conveying that only vantage point made her one valuable historian? However, as per meaning vantage point along with her talent for writing made her valuable historian.

Let me add one point here:

When a non essential modifier is removed, the sentence still makes sense, but some meaning is lost from the sentence.

Amy, the school captain, was taken to the Principal's office
Amy, a naughty student, was taken to the Principal's office.
Amy, along with her sister, was taken to the Principal's office.

The main emphasis of the sentence, the main point the author wants to convey is that 'Amy was taken to the Principal's office' but each of the above sentences means something different. When we remove the non essential modifiers, some meaning is lost.

Our original sentence: this vantage point, combined with her talent for writing, made her one of the most valuable historians of the era.

The 'vantage point' is the protagonist in this story. The author wants to convey that this vantage point made her one of the most valuable historians. That is where the main emphasis is. Just as 'Amy's sister' is a side character of the plot above, 'talent for writing' has a supporting role in this sentence.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Re: Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts