GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 12:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the Ameri

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Re: Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the Ameri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2013, 10:58
egmat wrote:
MEANING ANALYSIS:

The sentence talks about Mercy Otis Warren (MOW). She knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the American Revolution personally. She always placed herself at or near the center of political events from 1765 to 1789. Now this period of time together with her talent for writing made her one of the most valuable historians of the year. She already had the talent, and now came this period. So together both the factors made her the most valuable historian.

Hello egmat, to me it seems like the vantage point was only the fact that she was continually at or near the center of political events. The period of time is just incidental (mentioned just as a reference point), and not a vantage point. Can you please advice.
e-GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the Ameri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 06:51
Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the American Revolution personally, Mercy Otis Warren was continually at or near the center of political events from 1765 to 1789, a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make her one of the most valuable historians of the era

A. a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make

B. a vantage point, when combined with her talent for writing, that made

C. a vantage point that combined with her talent for writing, and it made

D. and this vantage point, which combined with her talent for writing to make

E. and this vantage point, combined with her talent for writing, made

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Director
Director
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 09:26
souvik101990 wrote:
Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the American Revolution personally, Mercy Otis Warren was continually at or near the center of political events from 1765 to 1789, a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make her one of the most valuable historians of the era

Mercy Otis Warren "was" so combining should be in past form combined.
a. combining wrong
b. that may indicate either talent or writing
c. the pronoun it has ambiguous antecedent.
d. Use of which means that vantage point is combining talent, but vantage point should be combined with talent.
E. correctly concise the meaning Ans.

Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2015, 14:47
souvik101990 wrote:

noun+noun modifier. to make - shows us a purpose.

when is used only for presenting time frames.

it - double subject. a vantage point and it made..

clause that starts with and - does not have a verb.

introduces a new clause, SV are in agreement. this is the correct answer.
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2015, 22:01
the problem is to choose between a and e.

I think there is an idiom here, according to macmillan dictionary online, pls check, we have idiom

noun combined with something do something

combining is not used here. because its meaning, the verb "combine" have this idiom. this phenomenon is characteristic of English language. I think.

pls comment, do you agree with me?
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2015, 20:51
The intended meaning of the sentence is that the involvement of Mercy in the political events from 1765 to 1789 and her talent made her the most valuable historian...

A, B and C seem to change the intended meaning of the sentence.

D in entirety is an incomplete sentence

E is the best answer choice- Her involvement in the political events (this vantage point )combined with her talent made her the most valuable historian

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2016, 12:18

Analysis of the original sentence:
Here vantage point refers to the fact that she was at the center of political events from 1765 to 1789. "combining with her talent for writing" is a present participle modifier modifying vantage point. This modifier implies that vantage point itself was combining with her talent of writing. This is nonsensical meaning. Further "to make" implies that "vantage point" for purposefully combining with her talent. This is again nonsensical meaning. The whole modifier "a vantage point combing with her talent... " is a noun+noun modifier or an absolute modifier.

(A) a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make

Incorrect for the reason stated above.

(B) a vantage point, when combined with her talent for writing, that made

The reduced clause "when combined with her talent for writing" seems to imply that as soon as vantage point was combined with her talent for writing, it made her one of the most valuable historians of the era. Further structurally also the modifier is wrong. You need to have an independent clause when there is a dependent clause present. here "when combined with her talent for writing" is a reduced dependent clause but "a vantage point that made her..." is not an independent clause.

(C) a vantage point that combined with her talent for writing, and it made

This has same error as mentioned in A. Here also it implied that vantage itself did the act of combining with her talent. Also the modifier "a vantage point that combined with her talent for writing" seems to be sandwiched between two independent clauses. This placement changes the meaning.

(D) and this vantage point, which combined with her talent for writing to make
Here "this vantage point, which combined with her talent for writing to make..." is not a clause, Therefore the whole sentence is a fragment.

(E) and this vantage point, combined with her talent for writing, made

This is fine. We have two independent clauses. Past participle phrase "combined with her talent for writing" is modifying vantage point.

E is correct.

Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2016, 07:37
GMATDemiGod wrote:
Can someone explain to me why ', and ' is the best way to connect these two elements?

Using conjunction is not necessarily the best way. An absolute phrase would also do the work perfectly. However the structure of the absolute phrases in options A, B and C are wrong. The structure of an absolute phrase is:

A noun + a modifier of the noun

Following could be a correct option without using "and":

a vantage point that, combined with her talent for writing, made ...
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 01:16
souvik101990 wrote:

hard one
i think "combined with" work as a preposition, not a participle of a verb.
we can not use combining in a because only a person can combining.
this is to test us the verb combine and the preposition combined with. which look like a participle of a verb.
Current Student
B
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 02:20
A. a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make Combining is incorrect. Illogically implies that vantage point is combining

B. a vantage point, when combined with her talent for writing, that made "When" raises red flag, should be used only to refer to a time period

C. a vantage point that combined with her talent for writing, and it made it- ambiguous

D. and this vantage point, which combined with her talent for writing to make this is same as A, "which" implies point combined

E. and this vantage point, combined with her talent for writing, made this resolves all the errors, simple past usage makes sense. Also, "and" connects two complete independent clauses
Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 01:01
A tricky one but the correct answer is E

Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the American Revolution personally, Mercy Otis Warren was continually at or near the center of political events from 1765 to 1789, a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make her one of the most valuable historians of the era.

Since we are talking about past tense, the correct verb will be "made".

A) a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make
Wrong :- combining, to make wrong parallelism

B) a vantage point, when combined with her talent for writing, that made
HOLD IT Nothing wrong with it grammatically per se. This sentence can essentially be read as A vantage point when combined with her talent for writing, that made

C) a vantage point that combined with her talent for writing, and it made
Wrong :- Talent for writing and It made her one of the most famous... AND is only when both clauses have equal weightage and both are independent. In this case Her becoming famous is a result of her writing and thus one thing (writing) is causing other (becoming famous) .. so AND is wrong

D) and this vantage point, which combined with her talent for writing to make
Wrong:- combined , to make .. again wrong parallelism

E) and this vantage point, combined with her talent for writing, made
RIGHT :- better than option B.
Combined, made - parallel,
Use of And is correct. Marry being in centre (independent) and that vantage point making her famous... (independent) so both part of the sentence equal
In B the meaning comes as "Her vantage point made her famous. No it was not only the extraordinary circumstances that she was in centre of politics but also her writing abilities.
OPTION E brings the meaning more accurately

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 07:20
arj_singh1976 wrote:
Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the American Revolution personally, Mercy Otis Warren was continually at or near the center of political events from 1765 to 1789, a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make her one of the most valuable historians of the era.

(A) a vantage point combining with her talent for writing to make

(B) a vantage point, when combined with her talent for writing, that made

(C) a vantage point that combined with her talent for writing, and it made

(D) and this vantage point, which combined with her talent for writing to make

(E) and this vantage point, combined with her talent for writing, made

this is hard, I will try to make something
first, I think "combined with" work as preposition meaning "together with". so, choice E is good.
now, why choice A is wrong
in choice A, "combining" is grammatical but the meaning changes.
the focus of meaning of choice A is "combining" . "to make" has not happened. "combining" has happened.

so , "to make " in choice A has not happened while "made" in choice E has happened. quite different.

I learn gmat to go to US
I , learning gmat, went to us

the two above sentences represent choice A and E.

I hope I am correct. the meaning difference between two choices is hard to realize.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 07:33
i want to say something more

yesterday, I gave my pen to my friend to help her pass the test but I could not help her pass the test.
yesterday, I gave me pen to my friend and, so, helped her pass the test.

the two above sentences mean that "to do" shows a purpose and do not show weather the action presented by "to do" has happended.

I do think that in the test room I can not analyse this way. this analysis is time consuming .
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the Ameri &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jul 2018, 07:33

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

Because she knew many of the leaders of colonial America and the Ameri

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap