It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 23:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because the population is denser there and the auto mobile

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Because the population is denser there and the auto mobile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 19:58
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 75

GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 SC: Because the population is denser there and the automobile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 21:56
Hi Abhishek009 and souvik101990

Would you kindly present your analysis of the sentence? Why D is correct and other choices are wrong?

I have a doubt about D. It essentially says: A system will be more efficient than will a system. Doesn't it require a 'be' in the second part too, in order to maintain parallelism?

Pls reply. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: #Top150 SC: Because the population is denser there and the automobile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 23:22
Abhishek009 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Because the population is denser there and the automobile is therefore inefficient as a means of transportation, a commuter rail system serving a given population is usually five times more efficient in a European city than it is in an American city.

A. serving a given population is usually five times more efficient in a European city than it is in an American city

B. serving a given population will usually be five times more efficient if it is placed in a European city instead of an American city

C. will usually be five times more efficient in a European city than one serving a comparable population in an American city

D. in a European city will usually be five times more efficient than will a system serving a comparable population in an American city

E. that is implemented in a European city will usually be five times more efficient than if it is implemented with a comparable population in an American city

IMHO (D)

i have a doubt regarding D option it says "the system" now this system can be commuter rail or any other system also....

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1150 [1], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2015, 06:44
This post received
KUDOS
binit wrote:
Hi Abhishek009 and souvik101990

Would you kindly present your analysis of the sentence? Why D is correct and other choices are wrong?

I have a doubt about D. It essentially says: A system will be more efficient than will a system. Doesn't it require a 'be' in the second part too, in order to maintain parallelism?

Pls reply. Thanks.

LUTHRASAGAR913
wrote:
i have a doubt regarding D option it says "the system" now this system can be commuter rail or any other system also....

I take the opportunity of stating my bit , daring to do so , however undoubtedly the OE and the best reply will surely be provided by souvik101990

Here the meaning of the sentence is clear it Compares -
Quote:
the efficiency of the commuter rail system of an a European city with the efficiency of the commuter rail system of an American city

In (D) we are comparing-

The commuter rail system in a European city with the commuter rail system in an American city

Further the choice (D) has the following issues -

1. Parallelism : in a European city ............. in an American city

2. Comparison : more .........than.........

So IMHO (D), souvik101990 awaiting your Official explanation...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1150 [1], given: 327

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 36

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 03:21
The Right Answer is (D)
Because in parallelism, when we omit repetitive words , if verb in the first part appear with a helping verb then , in the second part of the sentence only first portion of the helping verb will remain and rest will be omitted

The Mind ~ Muscle Connection
My GMAT Journey is Complete.Going to start the MBA in Information Management from 2016
Good Luck everyone.

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 14:48
Is it not changing the meaning of the sentence to introduce the whole "comparable population" clause? Since the size of the cities is not mentioned at all in the original sentence?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3653 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
#Top150 SC: Because the population is denser there and the automobile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 17:30
secterp wrote:
Is it not changing the meaning of the sentence to introduce the whole "comparable population" clause? Since the size of the cities is not mentioned at all in the original sentence?

Halo secterp,

Let me try to answer your query. :)

Please notice that in the original sentence we have a phrase serving a given population , which implies that rail systems for equivalent population have been compared between 2 different places. Therefore, comparable population in option D does not change the meaning of the original sentence.

Does the above clarify your doubt?

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2016, 01:37
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 616 [1], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2016, 04:22
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
this question tests parallelism and comparisons. 'than' is a parallel marker.

A - the problem is with the word 'it'. It/they/them/their refer to the same copy, whereas those/that refer to a different copy. Another thing to remember is 'it' refers to the noun with all its modifiers. This option thus absurdly implies that the same commuter system is more efficient when it is used in Europe.
B - Let us rewrite this option - if the commuter system is placed in a European city instead of an American city, the commuter rail system will usually be five times more efficient. this is absurd. We cannot transfer the commuter system across continents.
C - This option compares "a commuter rail system" with "commuter rail system serving a comparable population in an American city" - Not parallel. We need to compare the commuter rail system in Europe to commuter rail system in US. Also, "a commuter rail system will usually be five times more efficient in a European city" implies that if we transfer a commuter system to Europe, it becomes more efficient.
D - correct answer. correct comparison between - 'a commuter rail system in a European city' and 'a system serving a comparable population in an American city'.
E - 'it' has the same problem as mentioned in A. 'if it is implemented ...' is also not parallel.

Join Free 4 part MBA Through GMAT Video Training Series here -
https://gmat.crackverbal.com/mba-through-gmat-video-2018

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 616 [1], given: 6

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 116

GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2016, 03:16
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
this question tests parallelism and comparisons. 'than' is a parallel marker.

A - the problem is with the word 'it'. It/they/them/their refer to the same copy, whereas those/that refer to a different copy. Another thing to remember is 'it' refers to the noun with all its modifiers. This option thus absurdly implies that the same commuter system is more efficient when it is used in Europe.
B - Let us rewrite this option - if the commuter system is placed in a European city instead of an American city, the commuter rail system will usually be five times more efficient. this is absurd. We cannot transfer the commuter system across continents.
C - This option compares "a commuter rail system" with "commuter rail system serving a comparable population in an American city" - Not parallel. We need to compare the commuter rail system in Europe to commuter rail system in US. Also, "a commuter rail system will usually be five times more efficient in a European city" implies that if we transfer a commuter system to Europe, it becomes more efficient.
D - correct answer. correct comparison between - 'a commuter rail system in a European city' and 'a system serving a comparable population in an American city'.
E - 'it' has the same problem as mentioned in A. 'if it is implemented ...' is also not parallel.

Hey CrackVerbalGMAT,

Can you please elaborate a little on--- "It/they/them/their refer to the same copy, whereas those/that refer to a different copy. Another thing to remember is 'it' refers to the noun with all its modifiers." It will be very helpful for me.

Also another question on option C.

When we are comparing 2 nouns say X and Y then modifiers cannot be considered?

As in C : a commuter rail system WITH commuter rail system serving a comparable population in an America

Thanks!

Bitan

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 116

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 28

Schools: Tuck '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.11
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2016, 13:24
My goodness this one took me 3:30 to answer. I ended up getting D based off logic of the sentence rather than grammatical issues. Does anyone have a progression system that they use to help with time constraint? It took me too long to realize that this could be solved using logic instead of grammar.

Gmat prep 1 600
Veritas 1 650
Veritas 2 680
Gmat prep 2 690 (48Q 37V)
Gmat prep 5 730 (47Q 42V)
Gmat prep 6 720 (48Q 41V)

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 28

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2016, 16:25
I had the same issue. Took me 5 mins, but I decided d because the pronoun "there" in the first part of the sentence.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Chat Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2016, 18:19
sayantanc2k wrote:
secterp wrote:

Halo secterp,

Please notice that in the original sentence we have a phrase serving a given population , which implies that rail systems for equivalent population have been compared between 2 different places. Therefore, comparable population in option D does not change the meaning of the original sentence.

Can you help to understand why C is incorrect?

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 510

GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 04:07
What's wrong with A folks? When we are talking about these systems, we may be talking about them in a matter of fact tone - in that case simple present should be used and A can be correct. Thoughts please.

Sent from my SM-G920I using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 510

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 06:57
warriorguy wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
secterp wrote:

Halo secterp,

Can you help to understand why C is incorrect?

I do not see a problem with option C.

However, the usage "five times more" is generally not correct. If the intended meaning is y= 5x, then the correct construction would be "y is 5 times x" - not "y is 5 times more than x".

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 07:11
OreoShake wrote:
What's wrong with A folks? When we are talking about these systems, we may be talking about them in a matter of fact tone - in that case simple present should be used and A can be correct. Thoughts please.

Sent from my SM-G920I using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

I agree with you - the simple present tense is alright.

Chat Moderator
P

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests
#Top150 SC: Because the population is denser there and the automobile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 17:59
sayantanc2k wrote:

I do not see a problem with option C.

However, the usage "five times more" is generally not correct. If the intended meaning is y= 5x, then the correct construction would be "y is 5 times x" - not "y is 5 times more than x".

And we do have the same construction in the correct option D as well

in a European city will usually be five times more efficient than will a system serving a comparable population in an American city

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 01:25
IMO D.

Clear comparison and parallelism.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 20:35
Is my thought process correct if I just look for the answer choice that has a "In a European City" closest to the start of the answer choice. I am doing so because the first part of the sentence is a modifier(?) that is modifying "A European City". So the answer choice has to be the one with the European City closest to the beginning.

This was just my 2 cents...

Also (as you can tell) I'm new to the forum. Are the verbal and math questions of the day - devised from GMAT Club Forum users, so anyone can create a question of the day? If not, who/where are the questions and answers coming from?

I'm noticing a surprising trend that a lot of the Quant questions test inane/slightly obscure concepts, but the Verbal questions are slightly more reasonable, yet still have a rough edge to them...

(could just be me tho)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2017, 22:27
Keepushinalmosthere wrote:
Is my thought process correct if I just look for the answer choice that has a "In a European City" closest to the start of the answer choice. I am doing so because the first part of the sentence is a modifier(?) that is modifying "A European City". So the answer choice has to be the one with the European City closest to the beginning.

This was just my 2 cents...

Also (as you can tell) I'm new to the forum. Are the verbal and math questions of the day - devised from GMAT Club Forum users, so anyone can create a question of the day? If not, who/where are the questions and answers coming from?

I'm noticing a surprising trend that a lot of the Quant questions test inane/slightly obscure concepts, but the Verbal questions are slightly more reasonable, yet still have a rough edge to them...

(could just be me tho)

The first part is not a modifier, but a dependent clause starting with "because". Hence the position of "in European city" is not critical to answer this question.

Your other queries about the questions of the day will be replied to shortly.

Re: Because the population is denser there and the auto mobile   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2017, 22:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 62 posts ] 

Because the population is denser there and the auto mobile

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap