Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack
GMAT Club

It is currently 27 Mar 2017, 17:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2016, 23:43
JarvisR wrote:
Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.

Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that
---provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas,
they have already stimulated international disputes over uninhabited islands.

(A) Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated
(B) Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, it has already stimulated
(C) Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulating
>> Ing modifier doesnt go with sub tiny islet
(D) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, this has already stimulated
>> Here "this" tries to represent complete clause "tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code", hence wrong. It needs a noun.
Also,I found something intresting from MGMAT site:
Quote:
if you're going to use "this", you should use it as an adjective: this thing, this finding, this statistic, etc.
(E) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating
>> Missing main verb
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 135

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2016, 16:37
How do you guys go about solving long sentences like this one? It takes a lot of time to read it, understand intended meaning and find splits. Although many guides say it's better not to do so, I find that in the end, to save time, I solve long sentences by picking what feels right.
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 211

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 00:44
Vyshak wrote:
kivalo wrote:
How do you guys go about solving long sentences like this one? It takes a lot of time to read it, understand intended meaning and find splits. Although many guides say it's better not to do so, I find that in the end, to save time, I solve long sentences by picking what feels right.

If you are going to choose an answer choice in the way you have mentioned, you may as well treat a wrong answer choice as a right one. In this particular question there are glaring errors (refer the colored keywords in red) that could easily be eliminated by POE.

(A) Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that provide that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, they have already stimulated
(B) Because the new maritime code provides that even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas, it has already stimulated
(C) Even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, already stimulating
(D) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, this has already stimulated
(E) Because even tiny islets can be the basis for claims to the fisheries and oil fields of large sea areas under provisions of the new maritime code, which is already stimulating

Even if you take 30 seconds to read the original sentence, you can easily eliminate the wrong answer choices in less than a minute.

Vyshak
There is no grammatical error in B , but I did not choose B because , according to me, it actually changes the meaning.
In original choice , along with the other choices except B, meaning says provision of new code , but in B, meaning says code itself provides

please help me here
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 10:00
My question is the misplaced modifier. The misplaced modifier in C, D and E. Gary from Magoosh, if you would expand on your analysis for the misplaced modifier, that would be great!

Also if someone can double check the split4 from below, I appreciate your feedback.

Split1) What is the subject of the sentence. Answer: the new maritime code. Ideally we like to have the subject of the sentence in the beginning of the sentence. C,D and E are out.

Split2) Direct use of the word Provide = verb = direct. VS the word provision = noun = indirect. A,C,D and E are out.

Split3) "they" does not have a clear antecedent in option A. So A is out.

Split4) C and E say "is already stimulating" change the meaning of the original sentence. Stimulated = verb action, Stimulating = adjective describing a noun?
Re: Because there are provisions of the new maritime code that   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2016, 10:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ]