Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7793 [166]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [40]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [12]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19709 [6]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Re: Because there is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Br [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
eybrj2 wrote:
Because there is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, there is difficulty in estimating the number of speakers of Brento, a Celtic language.

(A) Because there is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, there is difficulty in estimating

(B) Because there is no linguistic census in France, unlike Britain, it is difficulty to estimate

(C) Unlike Britain, there is no linguistic census in France, and that fact makes for difficulty in estimating

(D) There is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, a fact making for difficulty in the estimation of

(E) There is no linguistic census in France, as there is in Britain, a fact that makes it difficult to estimate

SC54561.01

Initially, I couldn't decide between B and E, but eventually picked B, which was wrong.
I was thinking about why B wasn't the answer, and came up with a couple of reasons.

Reason 1) census is a countable noun.
Reason 2) "Unlike Britain" is awkward.

Are those right?

Official Explanation

Logical predication; Rhetorical construction; Parallelism

The sentence suggests that because France, unlike Britain, has no linguistic census, it is difficult to estimate how many people in France speak Breton.

A. This choice is incorrect because in France is not parallel with for Britain. Furthermore, this choice uses the wordy construction not a linguistic census as opposed to the clearer no linguistic census as in choice E.

B. This choice is incorrect because in France is not parallel with unlike Britain.

C. This choice is incorrect because in France is not parallel with unlike Britain.

D. This choice is incorrect because in France is not parallel with for Britain. Furthermore, this choice uses the wordy construction not a linguistic census as opposed to the clearer no linguistic census as in choice E. Furthermore, the construction making for difficulty in the estimation of unnecessarily turns the adjective difficult and the verb estimate into nouns.

E. Correct. This choice uses the parallel in France and in Britain and correctly uses the comparison structure there is no X as there is Y.

The correct answer is E.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [5]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q41 V23
GMAT 3: 610 Q39 V35
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Because there is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Br [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hey,

IMO,

Improper comparison employed in 'B', in 'B' Britain as a whole is being compared to a fact in France. If the sentence were to be worded as 'Unlike in Britain', i guess 'B' would have been correct.

we are left with 'E'.
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
If the original poster has posted the ans choices correctly, THEN.....

B is utterly wrong because : It is DIFFICULTY to estimate ( the word in caps pushes it into the abyss )

If we consider it to be a typo, THEN........ Bxn B n E

The intent : there is no census in France but the same is not true for Britain.

B : there is no census in France, unlike Britain..........

No census is compared to the whole country : GROSS ---- Eliminated

E : No census in France, as there is in Britain...... ( correctly conveys the intent of the sent : In France - No Census , In Britain - Census Yes )

Thus E outweighs B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [2]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Because there is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, there is difficulty in estimating the number of speakers of Brento, a Celtic language.

(A) Because there is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, there is difficulty in estimating (census in France should be compared with census in Britain not for Britain. Eliminate).

(B) Because there is no linguistic census in France, unlike Britain, it is difficulty to estimate (linguistic census in France is compared with Britain, illogical. Eliminate).

(C) Unlike Britain, there is no linguistic census in France, and that fact makes for difficulty in estimating (Again Britain is compared with linguistic census in France, illogical. Eliminate).

(D) There is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, a fact making for difficulty in the estimation of (Awkward construction, in France compared with for Britain, incorrect. Eliminate)

(E) There is no linguistic census in France, as there is in Britain, a fact that makes it difficult to estimate (Correct comparison, correct tense. Best choice.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
eybrj2 wrote:

(A) Because there is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, there is difficulty in estimating

(B) Because there is no linguistic census in France, unlike Britain, it is difficult to estimate

(C) Unlike Britain, there is no linguistic census in France, and that fact makes for difficulty in estimating

(D) There is not a linguistic census in France, as there is for Britain, a fact making for difficulty in the estimation of

(E) There is no linguistic census in France, as there is in Britain, a fact that makes it difficult to estimate

SC54561.01

Initially, I couldn't decide between B and E, but eventually picked B, which was wrong.
I was thinking about why B wasn't the answer, and came up with a couple of reasons.

Are those right?

GMATCoachBen GMATNinja VeritasKarishma ChiranjeevSingh

As per my learning while using Like/Unlike for comparison, entities should be logically compared & must be adjacent to each other.Therefore i marked option B , which is an incorrect answer choice.
kindly share why B is wrong, even though it compares no linguistic census in France with in Britain. Also France & Britain are adjacent to each other.

THANKS
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64886 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatassassin88 wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

(B) Because there is no linguistic census in France, unlike Britain, it is difficult to estimate

SC54561.01

Are those right?

As per my learning while using Like/Unlike for comparison, entities should be logically compared & must be adjacent to each other.Therefore i marked option B , which is an incorrect answer choice.
kindly share why B is wrong, even though it compares no linguistic census in France with in Britain. Also France & Britain are adjacent to each other.

THANKS

Like and unlike are followed by a noun/pronoun.
Here, the comparison is between 'linguistic census in France' and 'linguistic census in Britain' - that there is none in France but there is in Britain. The comparison is not between Britain in France but between the way things are in Britain and the way they are in France.
Hence, the use of 'like Britain' is wrong.

The correct comparison is 'there is no so and so in France, as there is in Britain.'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
gmatassassin88 wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

SC54561.01

Are those right?

THANKS

Here, the comparison is between 'linguistic census in France' and 'linguistic census in Britain' - that there is none in France but there is in Britain. The comparison is not between Britain in France but between the way things are in Britain and the way they are in France.

The correct comparison is 'there is no so and so in France, as there is in Britain.'

VeritasKarishma

I believe intended meaning remains the same:B says- Unlike Britain, France has so and so..
then why B is incorrect.( Only thing is France is mentioned at the end of sentence followed by Unlike Britain) which seems grammatically and logically correct:

1.Unlike Britain, France has so & so .
2. ...As in France, Unlike Britain

Are above two examples different.I feel since entities compared are adjacent ,both examples are correct. Pls share the gap in my understanding.Thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64886 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatassassin88 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
gmatassassin88 wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

SC54561.01

Are those right?

THANKS

VeritasKarishma

I believe intended meaning remains the same:B says- Unlike Britain, France has so and so..
then why B is incorrect.( Only thing is France is mentioned at the end of sentence followed by Unlike Britain) which seems grammatically and logically correct:

1.Unlike Britain, France has so & so .
2. ...As in France, Unlike Britain

Are above two examples different.I feel since entities compared are adjacent ,both examples are correct. Pls share the gap in my understanding.Thanks

The comparisons are different in the two cases.

Unlike Britain, France has ...
comparing Britain and France.

Linguistic census in France, unlike Britain ... is comparing 'linguistic census' with 'Britain' (in France is a prepositional phrase)

You need to compare 'linguistic census in France' with 'linguistic census in Britain'

So 'no A in France as there is in Britain'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Hello Experts.
GMATNinja
Can you please explain in detail what is all wrong with option B?
Also Does ",unlike britain" apply to consensus or France according to its placement in the said option?
Thanks in advance
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [3]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tejaswym95 wrote:
Hello Experts.
GMATNinja
Also Does ",unlike britain" apply to consensus or France according to its placement in the said option?
Thanks in advance

In this version, the contrast expressed is illogical. As a result of the use of "unlike Britain," "in France" seems to be contrasted with "Britain" itself.

In order for the comparison to make sense, "in France" would have to be contrasted with "in Britain" as in:

(B) Because there is no linguistic census in France, unlike in Britain, it is difficult to estimate
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 590 Q47 V26
Send PM
I chose E by eliminating other answer options, however I didn't understand the role of 'it' in the option E.
"There is no linguistic census in France, as there is in Britain, a fact that makes it difficult to estimate"
Can anyone explain it to me?GMATNinja
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
tejaswym95 wrote:
Hello Experts.
GMATNinja
Thanks in advance

In this version, the contrast expressed is illogical. As a result of the use of "unlike Britain," "in France" seems to be contrasted with "Britain" itself.

In order for the comparison to make sense, "in France" would have to be contrasted with "in Britain" as in:

(B) Because there is no linguistic census in France, unlike in Britain, it is difficult to estimate

dear MartyTargetTestPrep
and other experts GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, VeritasKarishma, AndrewN

I picked up B instead of E ,because I thought B decrease the causal relationship, while E doesn't.
as for comparison, I though French VS Britain,

OA is E, but I have no idea what I missed, genuinely need your help...

in addition, I wonder whether unlike can be followed by preposition phrase?

thanks in advance.

Hello, zoezhuyan. I believe that several others, including Experts, have written detailed analyses of (B), so you may want to check out those responses above by EMPOWERgmatVerbal, VeritasKarishma, and MartyTargetTestPrep. To touch on your last question, whether unlike can be followed by a preposition, the answer is yes—in the real world, when the word is used as a conjunction. See Can unlike be used as a conjunction?: Usage Guide through the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, which notes that the conjunctive unlike almost always introduces a prepositional phrase, and goes on to provide a sample sentence with unlike + in. The Official Explanation also dodges discussing such usage. The real question is whether a correct answer to an official SC question incorporates unlike + [preposition]. I am unaware of one, but in any case, we do not need to worry about that for the purpose of answering this question. In any comparison on the GMAT™, you want to make sure you are comparing like with like, and those two entities should mimic the language of the other as closely as possible. In choice (B), a case could be made for a construct that follows in X, unlike Y, either without or with an understood in (in X, unlike [in] Y), but that would be a real-world argument, not one that we need to consider for the purposes of the GMAT™. Choice (E) opts for a safer as in to compare one prepositional phrase with another (in France and in Britain).

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask my opinion on this one. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma daagh

In option E, can a fact make it difficult to estimate something ???
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64886 [2]
Send PM