It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 04:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, remo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, remo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 03:59
The term "synthetic growth hormone" is an Adj+Adj+Noun, which is wrong. An adj can never modify another adj, it should precede always an adverb or noun.
Example: seaming swift cat(incorrect)
seamingly swift cat(correct)

So synthesize the growth hormone is correct. That leaves C and E:
In E is Passive moreover the 1st clause has no verb.
C is correct.

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern
B

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, remo [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 04:00
The term "synthetic growth hormone" is an Adj+Adj+Noun, which is wrong. An adj can never modify another adj, it should precede always an adverb or noun.
Example: seaming swift cat(incorrect)
seamingly swift cat(correct)

So synthesize the growth hormone is correct. That leaves C and E:
In E is Passive moreover the 1st clause has no verb.
C is correct.

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 534

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 08:21
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly in small amounts from the pituitary glands of human cadavers.

A) scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly
B) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly.
C) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed
D) learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstakingly
E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed by scientists

OA will follow

The answer is C

Very good official question and a remainder that meaning is of paramount importance .

A is fragment
B is wrong time is not established properly .
C correct
D grammatically correct but meaning is not correct it refers to synthetic growth hormone so it can be extracted .
E same as D

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 534

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 08:16
A is wrong because it is not a full sentence. It is a fragment. We know this because the clause which begins with 'Before', needs a second half (in this case after the comma) and that second half or second clause should also have its own subject and verb, which it does not.

Example: Before I went to sleep, brushing my teeth.

Correct: Before I went to sleep, I had brushed my teeth.

This does not work; what occurred before going to sleep? What action? Words such as 'before' can start a clause and when they do, you need the other clause present as well.

So we can get rid of D and E right away. Now you have another hint, namely the word 'before'. When used to describe a past action you should also check out whether there is another past action in the sentence. This would indicate that there should be a Past Perfect or Past Perfect like Verb. The Verb that happened first should be in the Past Perfect while the 'later' action should be in the Past Simple. Therefore eliminate B because what the scientists 'learned' came after the first action 'removed' not before it and should not be in the Past Perfect, but the Past Simple.

This leaves us with answer choice C, which although containing the Passive (not preferable), it is still the best answer choice left.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 855

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7916 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 10:13
Top Contributor
Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly in small amounts from the pituitary glands of human cadavers.

A deep meaning based question

A) scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, removing it painstakingly-- a fragment -- Any subordinate clause has to be backed by IC and not a modifier.

B) scientists had learned about making a synthetic growth hormone, they had to remove it painstakingly.-- Look at the absurdity of this proposition. -They had to remove it- Not withstanding that the pronoun 'they' tentatively refers to the scientists, we still have the deeper problem of removing a synthetic hormone from the organic glands. A synthetic hormone can be made only outside the body and not within. If done, it will be a natural hormone but not synthetic

C) scientists learned how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed --- Now the pronoun 'it' rightfully' refers to the growth hormone. It is also correct to use the passive voice since there is no indication in the original that scientists did the removing. It could be by anybody.

D) learning how to make a synthetic growth hormone, scientists had to remove it painstaking--- That the scientists had to remove it is not intended in the original.

E) learning how to synthesize the growth hormone, it had to be painstakingly removed by scientists --the same mistake as in B, D, and E.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7916 [0], given: 364

Re: Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, remo   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2017, 10:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 85 posts ] 

Before scientists learned how to make a synthetic growth hormone, remo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap