GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 18:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Before the 20th century, the employer/employee relationship was

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Before the 20th century, the employer/employee relationship was  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2019, 22:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

18% (02:07) correct 82% (02:15) wrong based on 186 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Before the 20th century, the employer/employee relationship was characterized by private contract between employers, who controlled resources, and employees, who contributed labor. The employers held the majority of the power in this relationship. As businesses grew larger, employees banded together in the form of unions in an attempt to create a greater balance of power between the two sides of the private contract. By allowing unions to survive and grow, employers are partially responsible for the current environment in which unions threaten industry by demanding prohibitively high prices for their labor.

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first provides background information that is necessary for the conclusion; the second states the conclusion that is subsequently drawn.

(B) The first establishes evidence for the conclusion that is drawn in the second boldface portion.

(C) The first provides an inference that can be drawn from the passage; the second states the conclusion that is subsequently drawn.

(D) The first provides evidence that defends the position the author eventually takes; the second states the main conclusion of the passage.

(E) Each portion provides evidence for the conclusion that is presented
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Before the 20th century, the employer/employee relationship was  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 00:53
Can someone explain what's wrong with D.
Also if someone can post official explanation

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
P
Re: Before the 20th century, the employer/employee relationship was  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 17:38
Please explain how first bold face part is inference.
It is kind of fact or background information.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 23:37
In my opinion the answer should be A
he first provides background information that is necessary for the conclusion; the second states the conclusion that is subsequently drawn.
first bold face is a evidence or a background information,none other option is correct.
from OA it says C first bold face isn't inference(sort of conclusion)hence should be ruled out.
Any comments ?
Intern
Intern
B
Before the 20th century, the employer/employee relationship was  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 00:59
gvij2017 wrote:
Please explain how first bold face part is inference.
It is kind of fact or background information.

I chose B but after thought carefully again, I realize that if the first bold is excluded from the passage, we still can infer it from the sentence: "As businesses grew larger, employees banded together in the form of unions in an attempt to create a greater balance of power between the two sides of the private contract.".

In addition, option A states that "The first provides background information that is necessary for the conclusion". Is that necessary? If it is excluded from the passage, the conclusion is still properly drawn.

Likewise, Option B: "The first establishes evidence for the conclusion that is drawn in the second boldface portion". The first just provides background, all necessary evidence is implied in the following sentence.

globaldesi wrote:
Can someone explain what's wrong with D.
Also if someone can post official explanation

Posted from my mobile device

I dont think that the author takes any position here, this is simply a narration

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 07:16
hey,
Can some one please explain why choice A is not correct answer ???

Thanks in advance :lol:
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2019, 11:34
Why not A ?, how it is an inference?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2019, 23:38
Confused between option A and C
I agree that first boldface information is not necessary but its not inference either its already stated there as a fact.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Statistics

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2019, 00:24
Can someone pls explain how option C is an inference
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2019, 04:48
Hi
what i am missing here. How first boldface line is inference.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Before the 20th century, the employer/employee relationship was   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2019, 04:48

Before the 20th century, the employer/employee relationship was

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics