Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1284 [12]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: Before the early eighteenth century, forms of communication among the [#permalink]
I disagree with #3 answer.
Here is why: "Within only a few years, the mixture of French Sign Language with Home Sign had reached equilibrium and was taught in other institutions for the deaf as American Sign Language." Reaching equilibrium doesn't constitute that it was equally important. For instance, French SL could have influenced it 90% and Home sign influenced it 10%, an equilibrium would still be reach - though both are not equally important.

Please comment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Design (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Before the early eighteenth century, forms of communication among the [#permalink]
junwlee wrote:
I disagree with #3 answer.
Here is why: "Within only a few years, the mixture of French Sign Language with Home Sign had reached equilibrium and was taught in other institutions for the deaf as American Sign Language." Reaching equilibrium doesn't constitute that it was equally important. For instance, French SL could have influenced it 90% and Home sign influenced it 10%, an equilibrium would still be reach - though both are not equally important.

Please comment.

Answer 3 is not concise but is most appropriate among the answer choices
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
For #3, we're looking for something the author would "most likely agree with"--it doesn't haven't to be 100% provable. Reaching equilibrium implies that both languages were an equal part of the mix. While it's certainly possible that they weren't equal in importance, just usage, the answer choice is certainly supported.

Note that A & E make unsupported claims about "alternative history"--X would not have happened without Y. These are very hard to prove! Similarly, (D) uses the extreme word "inevitable." Again, it's hard to prove that something couldn't not have happened. (C) might seem to make sense, but we don't know that ASL was an improvement over French Sign Language--it was just an American version. I'm guessing French folks would still prefer their version!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
in Q2 : the answer choice has phrase " though not accurate" { D) This perspective, though not completely accurate, was nearer the understanding that sign language is a valid system of language.}

please can anyone explain as to how did we infer that it wasnt accurate ! DmitryFarber Bunuel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V44
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
AdityaHongunti wrote:
in Q2 : the answer choice has phrase " though not accurate" { D) This perspective, though not completely accurate, was nearer the understanding that sign language is a valid system of language.}

please can anyone explain as to how did we infer that it wasnt accurate !

The first sentence says: "Before the early eighteenth century, forms of communication among the deaf were often not regarded as authentic language." It then lists two interpretations in the bolded sentence, including the one referred to in Q2. And then it says: "Once it was recognized, however, that forms of signing constituted valid, though non-oral, systems of language, sign systems were standardized and disseminated in educational programs for the deaf." From this we can infer that both interpretations in the bolded sentence were at least partially inaccurate, and a much better interpretation appeared after that.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts