It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 17:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: I am Midnight's Child !
Joined: 04 Dec 2009
Posts: 140

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 11

WE 1: Software Design and Development
Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2011, 12:36
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (00:29) correct 41% (00:26) wrong based on 193 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, with its sandy beaches and multiple opportunities for sports, had been one of the most popular resort destinations on the East Coast.

A)had been
B)has been
C)had been being
D)was being
E)was
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: I am Midnight's Child !
Joined: 04 Dec 2009
Posts: 140

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 11

WE 1: Software Design and Development
Re: SC : Storm destroyed much of the harbor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2011, 12:37
OA is E. Please tell me why it can't be A two different times in the past are discussed in the question.
_________________

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 11

Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3381

Kudos [?]: 9306 [0], given: 1169

Re: SC : Storm destroyed much of the harbor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2011, 16:09
here we need verb agreement: we have destroyed........that indicate a tense totally gone. finished. it's over

so, E is the right answer. if you ahve doubt on this, maybe a problem with question much more difficult

You must think on this question not more than ten seconds ;)
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9306 [0], given: 1169

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1628

Kudos [?]: 1124 [0], given: 109

Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: SC : Storm destroyed much of the harbor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2011, 20:26
Interesting question.
What is the source?
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1124 [0], given: 109

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: I am Midnight's Child !
Joined: 04 Dec 2009
Posts: 140

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 11

WE 1: Software Design and Development
Re: SC : Storm destroyed much of the harbor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 00:07
carcass wrote:
here we need verb agreement: we have destroyed........that indicate a tense totally gone. finished. it's over

so, E is the right answer. if you ahve doubt on this, maybe a problem with question much more difficult

You must think on this question not more than ten seconds ;)


However, according to GMAT, we must use Past Perfect when we want to state something that is occuring at a different time in the past.

For example, in the following sentence, we use past perfect to distinguish the different time instances in the past.

He had studied English before he moved to New York.


The question posted is similar in construction with the example above. Hence shouldn't A be the right answer ?
_________________

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2010
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC : Storm destroyed much of the harbor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 02:12
In my opinion, (A) is not wrong, but when we compared (A) with (E), (A) is more redundant than (E) because the use of "before" in the sentence has shown the order of different time. That's why (E) is better than (A).

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 180

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: SC : Storm destroyed much of the harbor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 04:07
Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, with its sandy beaches and multiple opportunities for sports, had been one of the most popular resort destinations on the East Coast.

A)had been
B)has been
C)had been being
D)was being
E)was - concise
_________________

Raptor

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 168

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 5

Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Re: SC : Storm destroyed much of the harbor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 08:26
maddy2u wrote:
carcass wrote:
The question posted is similar in construction with the example above. Hence shouldn't A be the right answer ?


The town was "one of the most popular resort destinations on the East Coast" before the storm hit.
The 'had been' here is probably redudant since we have nothing else to compare with on the time line of the town.

The town 'was' something and nothing is left now.

The 'had been' calls for when we need to differentiate between two events in time, or am I wrong? :-)
_________________

12/2010 GMATPrep 1 620 (Q34/V41)
01/2011 GMATPrep 2 640 (Q42/V36)
01/2011 GMATPrep 3 700 (Q47/V39)
02/2011 GMATPrep 4 710 (Q48/V39)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 1 650 (Q46/V32)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 2 680 (Q46/V36)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 3 710 (Q45/V41)

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC : Storm destroyed much of the harbor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 09:57
I would say it is not a great question. Both "had been" and "was" can be used in the sentence without any ambiguity. Use of past perfect tense is not needed if the meaning is clear when using the simple past tense.

Watch Thursdays with Ron (Tommy Wallach) (http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm) for December 16, 2010.

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 61

Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: I will it!!!
Affiliations: Certified Credit Card Banking Professional
Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 34

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Schools: Chicago Booth, ISB
WE 1: 6 years in IT BFSI Cards application
Re: SC : Storm destroyed much of the harbor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 10:48
was does sound correct as you all have said . However in similar type of questions with words arranged here and there ,I am finding bit difficult as to when to use was and when to use had been :oops:
_________________

[align=]- Abhishek [/align]

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: I am Midnight's Child !
Joined: 04 Dec 2009
Posts: 140

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 11

WE 1: Software Design and Development
Re: SC : Storm destroyed much of the harbor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 22:53
charleshsu0952 wrote:
In my opinion, (A) is not wrong, but when we compared (A) with (E), (A) is more redundant than (E) because the use of "before" in the sentence has shown the order of different time. That's why (E) is better than (A).


IMO,There will always be a word in the sentence like 'before' , 'after', 'later' etc to specify that the action is done at a different time in the past. What makes this sentence so different from the rest ?
_________________

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2010
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC : Storm destroyed much of the harbor [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2011, 23:39
The beginning of the sentence is "Before", so we can understand that the town was one of the most popular resort destinations on the East Coast after the storm destroyed much of the harbor. It shows clearly that the town is not a popular resort any more when we use the past tense in the main clause.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10130

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 07:06
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 122

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 40

Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 16:32
charleshsu0952 wrote:
In my opinion, (A) is not wrong, but when we compared (A) with (E), (A) is more redundant than (E) because the use of "before" in the sentence has shown the order of different time. That's why (E) is better than (A).


I see (A) as being no more redundant than (E). Taken to the extreme, if "before" signals the past, then "was" shouldn't be grammatically allowed out of redundancy either. And, what about the continuous nature implied in "had been", where the town continuously ranked at the top, as opposed to, say, just one period before the storm, in which case "was" is appropriate?

I believe that the justification for (E) is that you cannot infer the town's continuous rank. It doesn't say anywhere else in the sentence the continuous nature of the town's rank, and the town's past status is in fact the portion we're correcting. Therefore, the most we can know is that it was at least once ranked as a top East Coast destination. If, however, the GMAT required readers to take the entire meaning of the original sentence as-is, then (A) must be correct (but the GMAT doesn't, since the original sentence may or may not be correct).

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 40

SVP
SVP
User avatar
B
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 1905

Kudos [?]: 542 [0], given: 23

Re: Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 09:18
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, with its sandy beaches and multiple opportunities for sports, had been one of the most popular resort destinations on the East Coast.

A)had been Since we have the cue "before," the past perfect isn't necessary to indicate which action took place.
E)was

Kudos [?]: 542 [0], given: 23

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 122

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 40

Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 11:04
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:
Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, with its sandy beaches and multiple opportunities for sports, had been one of the most popular resort destinations on the East Coast.

A)had been Since we have the cue "before," the past perfect isn't necessary to indicate which action took place.
E)was



OptimusPrepJanielle: There's one explanation on this forum that seems to contradict what you say, which is why I'm confused.

Found in the following link: has-have-had-been-difference-185791.html

"Before the teacher entered the room, John had been cheating on the exam." (First, John was in the act of cheating on the exam. Later, the teacher walked in. Did John stop because the teacher walked in? Or had he already stopped for some other reason before she walked in? We don't know - but the OG prefers to interpret this as: John cheated. Then John stopped. Then the teacher walked into the room.)

According to the above, with the use of "before", (A) and (E) are equivalent. That still leads us to at least three different justifications, 2 for (E) and 1 for (A), depending on what takes priority:

1. Be concise, (E) correct: (A) is grammatically correct, and (E) takes priority only because it's less wordy and slightly less redundant (if at all).

2. Go with what we know, (E) correct: "Was" and "had been" are still different, because in the example above, John "was" cheating before the teacher walked in, may mean he was cheating at one time, say, 1 hour beforehand. Whereas, John "had been" cheating before the teacher walked in means John cheated on the exam for a while or for an unknown duration up until and because the teacher walked in. In which case, (E) changes the meaning of (A), and we accept (E) only because there is no way to know for sure how long something was going on before the storm, since the past duration and even cause is exactly what we're correcting in the sentence. Therefore, (E) is at least true, and (A) is possible but not known 100%.

3. Preserve Meaning, (A) correct: In contrast to (2), if we were to accept the original sentence's meaning, then (A) must be true, and (E) must be false, because there was an unknown duration of X before Y, and the storm directly causes X's duration to stop; it's not simply a one time occurrence of X sometime before the storm with a causal relationship not necessarily existing - only a temporal relationship is established by the word "before". For example, "Before the war, I was a singer, a dancer, and a mathematician." This only means sometime before the war, one was a singer, a dancer, and a mathematician, and not necessarily that the war caused one to cease being a singer, dancer, and mathematician. One could just be recalling a memory from long ago, and the war is just a major life event or reference point to recall a memory.


The real question is, whose question is this? OG? Manhattan? Magoosh? If it's from OG, then whatever the justification, go with their rule. If it's another's example, then it's still confusing. In that case, we'll need a different OG example in the same sort of setup (e.g. had been vs. was, "before" used, "had been"/"was" is underlined for correction) to clarify this matter.

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 40

SVP
SVP
User avatar
B
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Posts: 1905

Kudos [?]: 542 [0], given: 23

Re: Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2015, 04:31
Use of the past perfect or simple past is optional when used with conjunctions. For GMAT optional is often synonymous with redundant. Here's a nice quick explanation in the "special cases" section: http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/gramm ... -tense.htm

Kudos [?]: 542 [0], given: 23

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 122

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 40

Re: Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2015, 08:21
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:
Use of the past perfect or simple past is optional when used with conjunctions. For GMAT optional is often synonymous with redundant. Here's a nice quick explanation in the "special cases" section: http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/gramm ... -tense.htm


Thanks for the link! I'm thinking that "was" is still preferred over "had been", for one past action before another, even in the special case when we want to emphasize the idea of completion. But, why would they call it a special case if it wasn't necessary? That "had been" is still grammatically correct, though "was" takes preference?

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 40

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2680

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 200

Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2015, 09:03
E it is. Before - removes any need to use past perfect. Nevertheless, I believe that GMAT will never give such a question.

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 200

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10130

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 09:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Re: Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town,   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2016, 09:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.