It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 11:06

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Re: Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2013, 19:34
if there is time indicator which show the sequence clearly, both simple past and past perfect is acceptable. this rule is dictiated in most grammar books.
both a and e is correct and this questin is not good. forget it.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2013, 03:07
if time indicators show the sequence clearly, both simple past and past perfect is acceptable.

both A and E are correct and this question is wrong.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 429 [0], given: 45

WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2013, 19:37
Yeah, this question tricked me too.

MGMAT sums it up nicely:

1. Stick to simpler tenses
2. Use past perfect to emphasize events that have direct bearing with one another, like sequences

Kudos [?]: 429 [0], given: 45

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 142

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2014, 11:35
source-master-gmat-because-of-the-destruction-of-cathedral-138986.html

I was certain with usage of past perfect and simple past with before/after, but this question has made me confused.

could someone help in explaining the correct usage ?

premnath wrote:
Source: Master GMAT

Because of the destruction of cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces find their way to France.

A. cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces find
B. cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces had found
C. treasuries belonging to cathedrals during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces had found
D. cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces are finding
E. cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces found

OA: B - past perfect with 'after' and no specific time

angel2009 wrote:
Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, with its sandy beaches and multiple opportunities for sports, had been one of the most popular resort destinations on the East Coast.

* had been
* has been
* had been being
* was being
* was
OA: E - simple past with 'before' and no specific time

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 142

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1933 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2014, 07:40
http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pastperfect.html
Past perfect is optional but not wrong
If the Past Perfect action did occur at a specific time, the Simple Past can be used instead of the Past Perfect when "before" or "after" is used in the sentence. The words "before" and "after" actually tell you what happens first, so the Past Perfect is optional. For this reason, both sentences below are correct.

Examples:
She had visited her Japanese relatives once in 1993 before she moved in with them in 1996.
She visited her Japanese relatives once in 1993 before she moved in with them in 1996.

When it is not optional
If the Past Perfect is not referring to an action at a specific time, Past Perfect is not optional. Compare the examples below. Here Past Perfect is referring to a lack of experience rather than an action at a specific time. For this reason, Simple Past cannot be used.

Examples:

She never saw a bear before she moved to Alaska. Not Correct
She had never seen a bear before she moved to Alaska. Correct

I would say it would be safer to go for past perfect tense if a sentence expresses sequence of past event. Don't get confuse with before or after.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

GPA: 3.51
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2014, 07:41
Had been is correct; OA must be A.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2015, 06:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1145 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2015, 08:14
angel2009 wrote:
Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town, with its sandy beaches and multiple opportunities for sports, had been one of the most popular resort destinations on the East Coast.

* had been
* has been
* had been being
* was being
* was

[Reveal] Spoiler:
What is the problem in A ? Because I think past perfect is necessary as by using simple past distorts the meaning

One of the most beautiful resort on the East Coast--------- > Storm---------> Destroyed Everything.

A clear picture can be drawn from the given statement - Sentence points out clearly the word before - Hence simple past tense is used , because we can clearly understand which actions / incident happened bofre something in the past.

Hence answer is (E)...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1145 [0], given: 327

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 20:47
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Re: Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town,   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2017, 20:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Before the storm destroyed much of the harbor, this town,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap