GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 06:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Beginning in 1997, high school seniors in State Q have been

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Beginning in 1997, high school seniors in State Q have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 10:43
One of the toughest. Thanks for sharing.

We Shall Overcome... One day...

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 12:28
this question looks impossible at the first glance.
Having a closer look, A,B, C and E use the same logic. In fact, A and B are same. E contradicts with the logic. => E is the answer.

test takers still easily check whether D is correct.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 05:53
Dear souvik101990, GMATNinja, Other experts,

It took me about 4 minutes to answer this question correctly. My concern is that if a similar question,which involves calculation in every answer choice, comes in the real test should I go for it or make a guess and move on.
Thanks in advance.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 09:08
CaptainJackSparr0w wrote:
Dear souvik101990, GMATNinja, Other experts,

It took me about 4 minutes to answer this question correctly. My concern is that if a similar question,which involves calculation in every answer choice, comes in the real test should I go for it or make a guess and move on.
Thanks in advance.

Don't worry, you will NEVER see a question quite like this on the actual GMAT. I still can't quite figure out if this is trying to be quant, CR, or IR; an actual CR question will never require actual calculation. And as DmitryFarber mentioned above, there are other problems with the question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/beginning-in ... l#p1651655.

Sure, if you get totally stuck on something on your actual test, you'll need to move on. But please don't worry about this particular question, Captain!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 06:50
such a difficult question. im not even able to understand the explanations given by my fellow users.
looks like i have a long road ahead to reach the gmat. :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 06:49
anyone who don't understand B, it's very easy to understand why not B

lets suppose in 97 there are 0.8x who passed,0.2x who didn't . and in 98 there are 0.72 who passed and y who didn't.
so to satisfy A or B, 0.72x / (0.72x+y) < 0.8 => y> 0.18x in this case, y could be 0.19x that makes the total number < x . or y could be 0.5x , that makes the total senior student number > x ,which is the amount of 97.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 07:58
adhiraj wrote:
Beginning in 1997, high school seniors in State Q have been required to pass a comprehensive proficiency exam before they are allowed to graduate. The exam requirement was intended to ensure that a minimum level of academic quality will be achieved by the students in the state. In 1997, 20 percent of the seniors did not pass the exam and were, therefore, not allowed to graduate. In 1998, the number of seniors who passed the exam decreased by 10% from the previous year.

The argument above, if true, LEAST supports which of the following statement.

A. If the percentage of high school seniors who passed the exam increased from 1997 to 1998 , the number of high schools seniors decreased during that time period.
B. If the percentage of high school seniors who passed the exam decreased from 1997 to 1998 , the number of high schools seniors increased during that time period.
C. Unless the number of high school seniors was lower in 1998 than in 1997, the number of seniors who passed the exam in 1998 was lower than 80 percent.
D. If the number of high school seniors who did not pass the exam decreased by more than 10 percent from 1997 to 1998, the percentage of high school seniors who passed the exam in 1998 was greater than 80 percent.
E. If the percentage of high school seniors who passed the exam in 1998 was less than 70 percent, the number of high school seniors in 1997 was higher than the number in 1998.

Please provide an explanation with actual numbers.

I wont say its difficult question, but it is a time taking question. Start the question by taking values. Then check all the options.
Options A,B,C,D are possible in some cases, but option E will never be possible. So answer is E.
P.S. You can take Value 100 for easiness.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 08:01
renboan wrote:
The correct answer is (E). Can someone please change the OA?

Solution:
Define the following
X # of students in 1997
Y # of students in 1998

The question states that 20% of students did not pass the exam in 1997. Therefore, 80 percent did pass the exam.
And so 0.8X students passed the exam.
In 1998, the number of students who passed the exam was 10% lower in 1998 than in 1997.
Therefore, the number of students who passed the exam in 1998 was (0.9)(0.8)X = 0.72X

Now, (B) is ambiguous.
--> Assume the percentage of high school seniors who passed the exam decreased from 1997 to 1998
That is, (0.72X)/Y < (0.8X)/X
We can cancel X from both sides (permissible since X > 0)
And so, 0.72/Y < 0.8/X
0.72X < 0.8Y
Then Y > (72/80)X (= (9/10)X)
And so this tells us that Y is greater than 90% of X
Thus Y could also be greater than X or X could be greater than Y.

Now, we can disprove (E) (using the same variables)
--> Assume the percentage of high school seniors who passed the exam in 1998 was less than 70 percent.
Then (0.72X)/Y < 0.7
And so, 72X < 70Y
So, (72/70)X < Y
And X < (72/70)X < Y
Thus X < Y
This contradicts the statement given in (E)
Therefore (E) is NOT supported

I apologize for not using latex.
Also, if you're going to post your own questions, please make sure that they are concise, accurate, and unambiguous in order to avoid unnecessary confusion.
If the question were to to ask the reader to identify the answer choice posing the most ambiguity, then indeed (B) would be correct.
Someone please either correct this problem or correct the answer choice in part (E).

Yes correct answer is E only.
Thanks for Your solution.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 08:05
Recobita wrote:
The correct answer should be E. I am gonna show that E is not supported in any case and B is sometimes supported:

1997 People who failed 20 %, People who passed 80 % --> 80 (Let's suppose we are dealing with 100 students)
1998 People who failed ?? %, People who passed ?? % --> 72 (10 % fewer students)

B. If the percentage of high school seniors who passed the exam decreased from 1997 to 1998 , the number of high schools seniors increased during that time period.
Two cases: % of students who pass 75 % --> Total number of students 96 --> Not supported
% of students who pass 60 % --> Total number of students 120 --> Supported
As we can see B is not univocal.

E. If the percentage of high school seniors who passed the exam in 1998 was less than 70 percent, the number of high school seniors in 1997 was higher than the number in 1998.

Kudos if you liked it!!!

% of students who pass 70 % --> Total number of students 103 --> Not supported
% of students who pass 20 % --> Total number of students 360 --> Not supported

We can see that E is never supported and B is sometimes.

Why dont You explain other options also?
Re: Beginning in 1997, high school seniors in State Q have been   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2018, 08:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 50 posts ] 

Beginning in 1997, high school seniors in State Q have been

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap