GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 04 Apr 2020, 14:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Benefits of Going to School in LA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Benefits of Going to School in LA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2019, 10:06
Hi All,

Current UCLA Anderson student here! I wanted to throw out some of the benefits of going to graduate school in a city - and in particular to getting your MBA in Los Angeles. UCLA Anderson has the culture of being in a small college town, but the great opportunities of being in a city. There are great academic internship opportunities (meaning, internships you do during the school year). For those looking to switch both functions and industries after business school, an academic internship could help you get experience in one of those new areas and it allows you to try something different than what you do for a summer internship. We have convenient access to top executives for classroom guest lecturers and conference speakers. It is also worth mentioning the diversity of the city itself. There is no shortage of things to do - whether that is going to the beach, surfing, hiking, running, trying new restaurants, listening to great concerts, attending sporting events, visiting the Getty, LACMA, or the Broad museums, or just simply being outside every day of the year. There is truly something for everyone in Los Angeles!

Post here if you have any questions about why getting an MBA in Los Angeles is beneficial and/or any other questions you may have about UCLA Anderson!

-Emily M. '20
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.1
WE: Accounting (Computer Software)
Re: Benefits of Going to School in LA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2019, 17:31
Hi thank you for your insight! I am currently in AZ so I have been to LA any times so I know how to enjoy myself but I know nothing about living in LA. Where do Anderson students tend to live and what has the adjustment been like from leaving your previous location? *assuming you have never lived in LA before
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2019, 23:07
uclaMBAstudent wrote:
Current UCLA Anderson student here! I wanted to throw out some of the benefits of going to graduate school in a city.....

Welcome back and thank you for a detailed write-up on benefits of choosing LA for MBA education. UCLA has always seen robust recruitments from technology, Ent/Media, and consulting sectors but I would also like to know about the employment opportunities in other key sectors; mainly Finance, Healthcare, and FMCG. Could you please throw some light on the placement scenario in these industries? Thank you!

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 18:15
Thanks for your follow up question, santigansc! Anderson students often live in Westwood, Brentwood or West LA (Sawtelle) which are all a short drive, bike ride or bus ride to campus. Anderson students often live together in apartments that are close to each other (often walkable from one to the next). We create a big housing survey each year and create a guide for the incoming class that helps students find apartments. Students will often find roommates at the admitted students weekends or via Facebook groups, google docs, etc. created by the school. I personally moved to LA for UCLA Anderson and it has been awesome! I was living on the east coast before, but I love the weather and the group of people at Anderson really make the experience. Because most students live close to campus, long commutes are not usually of concern. And, campus is only a 15 minute drive to the beach!

And, Narenn thanks for your follow up questions as well! We place our students in a variety of fields, with tech being the #1 industry and finance being #2. In 2018, about 25% of Anderson students were hired into finance roles in a variety of industries. Top recruiters are Bank of America, Citi and Microsoft to name a few.
In 2018, about 5% of UCLA Anderson students were hired in the healthcare industry in a variety of roles. Some of the big healthcare companies that hire Anderson students are Amgen, Kaiser Permanente, PWC and Genentech. Marketing is a huge functional area for Anderson students as well and within the CPG space, we often have students interning and/or working full-time at General Mills, Johnson & Johnson, Mattel and The Wonderful Company in Los Angeles.
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2019, 22:34
uclaMBAstudent wrote:
And, Narenn thanks for your follow up questions as well! We place our students in a variety of fields.......

Thanks very much!

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Benefits of Going to School in LA   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2019, 22:34

Benefits of Going to School in LA

new topic post reply Update application status