Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Send PM
Re: Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had [#permalink]
Thank you for your consideration
but in both of your examples, the subjects are the same.
Peter admired Jane for her skills, but (he) also envied her.
and in second example " The systematic clearing of forests in the United States" in the subject.

but in our example S1 is Benegal and S2 is Tagore
I'm confused about using "also" when we compare their view. one of the admire Gandi and another has a skeptical view of him....
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had [#permalink]
Expert Reply
soodia wrote:
but in both of your examples, the subjects are the same.

but in our example S1 is Benegal and S2 is Tagore

Hi soodia, in your example as well, S1 and S2 are same.

S1 is actually Tagore (and not Bengal).
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K. Gandhi the person and also as a politician, but Tagore had been skeptical of Gandhi's form of nationalism and his conservative opinions about India's cultural traditions

A. for Mohandas K. Gandhi the person and also as a politician, but Tagore had been - usage of past perfect had been is incorrect
B. for Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also - Correct
C. for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also - not only…and is unidiomatic
D. of Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as also a politician, but Tagore was - use of “admiration of” is incorrect ; the use of “also” after ‘and’ creates redundancy
E. of Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore had also been - use of “admiration of” is incorrect ; not only…and is unidiomatic ; usage of past perfect had been is incorrect

Answer B

Hello Skywalker18,

You have presented a good analysis of this official sentence. Keep up the good job. :-)

I would just like to add some thoughts with regards to the usage of the idiom not only X but also Y in Choice C and E.

According to you, these choices use the incorrect idiom not only X and Y. But if you pay attention, these choice use but also.

IMHO, use of not only X but also Y is not feasible in the context of this sentence because this sentence intends to present a contrast - one positive emotion and one negative emotion.

The idiom not only X but only Y is used to present two information about the same entity that are in the same direction. So, even if this sentence would have used the idiom not only X but also Y correctly, this idiom would not have conveyed the intended contrast.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Cheryn wrote:
DmitryFarber , thanks for this enlightenment.. wow... yeah.... so i have to be careful even if has , have , had followed by ed words, whether adjective or verb.. so what i will do is i will also look for noun which is following the ed words, to make sure its an adjective or not.. really thank you very much indeed.
To add to DmitryFarber 's response, we should also watch out for cases in which the participle has not been explicitly included in the sentence.

She has worked in many more industries than I have.

This is a shorter way of saying

She has worked in many more industries than I have worked (in industries).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 297
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja
As you say the wrong can mostly be eliminated without even considering idioms. I love what you say, because I do not think of myself memorizing idioms. Coming to this question, can you please find any other way to eliminate D than idiom. Maybe use of also is must? Or anything? (Sorry for the silly question, it you find it so.) Thank you!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had [#permalink]
Mck2023 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja
As you say the wrong can mostly be eliminated without even considering idioms. I love what you say, because I do not think of myself memorizing idioms. Coming to this question, can you please find any other way to eliminate D than idiom. Maybe use of also is must? Or anything? (Sorry for the silly question, it you find it so.) Thank you!!!

Hi Mck2023, I am no GmatNinja but let me try to help you. Just like you, I am also not a fan of idioms. However, I have only memorised few correlative conjunctions/idioms(whatever you'd like to call). Few examples
1. Either ... or ...
2. Neither ... nor ...
3. Not ... but ...
4. Not only ... but also ...
5. Not only ... but ... as well
6. Both ... and ...

I agree it is not useful to learn differneces in phrases like ability of vs ability to, but learning above mentioned idioms/correlative conjunctions/special parallelism triggers(as mentioned by GmatNinja in one of his video) is super helpful. Now lets look at option B and D

Quote:
(D) of Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as also a politician, but Tagore was
The problem with D is not with idioms but with parellism (If you noticed here, I used Not A But B construction, in which A and B are parallel). We have "as a person" and "also as a politicion", here the word "also" is the problem, and is breaking the parallelism b/w A and B. One more thing, using "and" and "also" together is redundant, so its best to avoid using both together. So D can be eliminated

Quote:
(B) for Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also

Compared with D we have nice parallel construction here "as a person" and "as a politician", and the word "also" is now removed. So B is the best we can do with this question.

If you are still not convinced with my explanation, please check out the below video in which GmatNinja has covered this question in details (Start the video around 44th min to jump to this specific question). Hope this helps

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had [#permalink]
DmitryFarber GMATNinja AjiteshArunMartyTargetTestPrep sayantanc2k IanStewart

While I agree (B) is the answer, in 'b' isn't also redundant?

We already have but -- so why do we need also ?
I dont think there is any difference between these structures
X but Y | X but also Y

Because i thought also was redundant -- i eliminated B and got this wrong :(

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 17 Sep 2021, 16:20.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 03 Mar 2022, 09:09, edited 8 times in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
If we compare first few words of answer choices,

we have a difference of "for" vs "of"

When we have a difference of prepositions, we have idiom error

The word before underline portion is "admiration"

Correct idiom is "admiration for"

Eliminate

D and E

If we compare middle part of option A, B and C

We can see "and", which demands parallelism.

In Option A, "the person" is not parallel to "as a politician"

Eliminate A

In option C,

"not only as a person and as a politician" is a wrong construction.

Right construction is "not only X ...., but also Y"

Eliminate C.

Hence, B is the correct answer
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts