GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 21:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Best business schools in Canada

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2013, 09:54
jxcho wrote:
d55 wrote:
I think it's sort of sad that you have to lie about other schools in order to build up your own.
I'm a Schulich MBA, and haven't regretted it at all. You self defeat your own argument when you say Schulich is an ESL fest, then go on about international students who can't communicate but have killer GMATS. Um, isn't the purpose of the GMAT verbal to test english and communication skills? I mean really! You can't get out of a high school without speaking english in Ontario, let alone a top MBA program.

I know plenty of kids who graduated high school in Canada from China/India/etc. who have shockingly poor English skills and managed to get into UBC, U of T, etc. Also, Asian students tend to have sickeningly high Q scores (usually 47+) but could get V scores in the 20s or low 30s. On top of that, just being able to pass English in high school, have conversations in English and getting a passable V score on the GMAT do not guarantee that someone can have complex, academic conversations about business. Is Schulich the only ESL fest in Canada/North America? Absolutely not, and it's far better than most European schools in this regard. But it's a huge school with a lot of international students (and it markets itself internationally more than the likes of Desautels or Queens) so it's bound to have lots of students with less-than-desirable English skills and the reputation is there, like it or not, and imo it is at least partly deserved.
jxcho, are you Canadian or American? Why did you decide to matriculate at Indiana University?
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2013, 11:40
CarlMtl wrote:
jxcho, are you Canadian or American? Why did you decide to matriculate at Indiana University?

Canadian, with US experience. I decided to attend Kelley because:

1. I'd like to study Marketing and Social Entrepreneurship, both of which are top ranked at IU and there really is no peer school in Canada.
  2. I'd like to work in the US Midwest after graduation with a long-term goal of working in Honolulu/Guam.
  3. I attended a US state school for my undergrad.

Canada is a great country (better than the US imo) but I've lived all over the world and consider myself a "citizen of the world" of sorts and I think it's time to close the Canadian chapter of my life and move on to another place, at least for now.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2013, 18:24
d55 wrote:
maroliv12 wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:
Hi there ladies and gents,

I want your opinion on what the top 5 business schools in Canada are. I know every publication ranks them differently, but what are your thoughts?

Based on my research and obvious bias, I would say the following:
1. Desautels
2. Rotman
3. Schulich
4. Ivey
5. Sauder

Let the battle begin!

Interesting perspective. I only ever applied to Ivey in Canada... and was told to only apply to Ivey by someone in the industry. I would've preferred that it were a two-year program but hey. On the street there's only Ivey and Rotman. Nothing else comes close for recruiting for finance and consulting. Rotman has definitely done some amazing things in the past few years and have done really well for themselves. Ivey is the most historic brand for MBA's but their one-year program has drawbacks for career-switchers. As such, the students that attend are mostly looking to return to the same industry. The amount of people I know who have attended Schulich and regretted it are immense. The school is an ESL-fest. Rotman is in danger of going down this path as well. In their recent attempt to match Ivey's incoming student stats, which used to be the highest by a considerable margin, they've started admitting a LOT of internationals who have killer GMAT's and GPA's but aren't quite nuanced in their communication ability yet.

I think it's sort of sad that you have to lie about other schools in order to build up your own.
I'm a Schulich MBA, and haven't regretted it at all. You self defeat your own argument when you say Schulich is an ESL fest, then go on about international students who can't communicate but have killer GMATS. Um, isn't the purpose of the GMAT verbal to test english and communication skills? I mean really! You can't get out of a high school without speaking english in Ontario, let alone a top MBA program. Another common hoax that people like you like to spread is that you will get robbed, raped, murdered, or disemboweled if you come within half a mile of York. That's all over forums like this so let me answer that one. 80,000 people come to York every day, and come home in one piece. I'm not going to put down
Ivey. I got in there and it's a good program, but Schulich was a better choice for me. At least I don't go around slandering other school now I'm out.

Perhaps you should take the fight up with your own graduates.
http://www.canada-city.ca/canadian-univ ... ageid=4645

All I really have to say is that Schulich offered acceptances WITHOUT interviews in many cases. Do you really think a b-school should be doing that?
Manager
Manager
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2013, 20:11
maroliv12 wrote:
d55 wrote:
maroliv12 wrote:

Interesting perspective. I only ever applied to Ivey in Canada... and was told to only apply to Ivey by someone in the industry. I would've preferred that it were a two-year program but hey. On the street there's only Ivey and Rotman. Nothing else comes close for recruiting for finance and consulting. Rotman has definitely done some amazing things in the past few years and have done really well for themselves. Ivey is the most historic brand for MBA's but their one-year program has drawbacks for career-switchers. As such, the students that attend are mostly looking to return to the same industry. The amount of people I know who have attended Schulich and regretted it are immense. The school is an ESL-fest. Rotman is in danger of going down this path as well. In their recent attempt to match Ivey's incoming student stats, which used to be the highest by a considerable margin, they've started admitting a LOT of internationals who have killer GMAT's and GPA's but aren't quite nuanced in their communication ability yet.

I'm a Schulich MBA, and haven't regretted it at all. You self defeat your own argument when you say Schulich is an ESL fest, then go on about international students who can't communicate but have killer GMATS. Um, isn't the purpose of the GMAT verbal to test english and communication skills? I mean really! You can't get out of a high school without speaking english in Ontario, let alone a top MBA program. Another common hoax that people like you like to spread is that you will get robbed, raped, murdered, or disemboweled if you come within half a mile of York. That's all over forums like this so let me answer that one. 80,000 people come to York every day, and come home in one piece. I'm not going to put down
Ivey. I got in there and it's a good program, but Schulich was a better choice for me. At least I don't go around slandering other school now I'm out.

Perhaps you should take the fight up with your own graduates.
http://www.canada-city.ca/canadian-univ ... ageid=4645

All I really have to say is that Schulich offered acceptances WITHOUT interviews in many cases. Do you really think a b-school should be doing that?

d55 is a bit over zealous in his defense of Schulich but dude, the link you posted is by an anonymous poster from 2006 about his supposed experience at Schulich a further few years prior. I can assured you that our lobby doesn't "smell like urine" and there's no "mold", you can visit our building and see for yourself lol. Where the f__k did this guy came up with this stuff. While I do agree on the education being "a mix bag but over all good" part, the rest of what he wrote is complete bs.

I do agree on the part about interviewing every accepted applicants though, even if only to put us inline with accepted industry practices.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2013, 20:39
Is there a way to retroactively add a poll to this thread?

Think we are in agreement that quite a few published rankings for CDN b-schools are dicey - so I'd like to see best b-school by popular vote.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2013, 21:14
I agree I think he's OTT and I'm sure that your facilities have considerably improved since the post. They probably weren't ever that bad anyway. The point I was trying to make earlier was that, for some reason, I've encountered lots of students who have attended Schulich and bash it. I don't know why that is, really but hopefully it gets sorted out. I don't really want to turn this into a pissing match...I'm sure that Schulich has areas that are very strong (I believe brand management is one of them?). In sum total I would say that go to whatever school suits your area of interest. I think as far as finance in Toronto goes, Ivey and Rotman (more Rotman now) have it cornered. Consulting as well. That's the only area I feel knowledgeable enough to comment on; I'm pretty sure in Montreal, they recruit more from Mcgill and they probably recruit more for marketing in Schulich.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2013, 21:16
canadianchamp wrote:

Think we are in agreement that quite a few published rankings for CDN b-schools are dicey - so I'd like to see best b-school by popular vote.

it pretty much turns into everyone voting for the school they're accepted into and attending :)

the best poll you have is the employment reports of the respective school. I worked at it backwards....I figured out what I wanted to do and went to the best school possible for it. I was waitlisted at Yale otherwise I'd *probably* have gone there.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2013, 12:45
maroliv12 wrote:
canadianchamp wrote:

it pretty much turns into everyone voting for the school they're accepted into and attending :)

the best poll you have is the employment reports of the respective school. I worked at it backwards....I figured out what I wanted to do and went to the best school possible for it. I was waitlisted at Yale otherwise I'd *probably* have gone there.

Maroliv`s right, McGill is the best.

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2013, 04:41
Dear friends ,
I am from India and the major chunk of my work ex. is in pharmaceutical selling . I am planning to settle in Canada post MBA . I have read about all the top MBA programs in Canada but the cost of MBA programs from these top B-schools is a big deterrent as I would have to offer my sweet little home as a collateral to fund my education & then repay that loan . I discovered a scholarship from the Govt. of India that enables an Indian to pay the same fee that is paid by a resident of
Quebec ( very less compared to the fees paid by International candidates ) and this has given me a ray of hope . McGill does not differentiate between locals & internationals in the fee structure & has the same for locals as well as Internationals , so , despite of McGill's great reputation etc. etc..... , it is not for me because I do want to pledge my assets to an Indian bank for an MBA . Post MBA , Indians can get 1 yr. work permit after 1 yr. MBA and 3 yr. work permit after 2 yr. MBA . Taking this fact into consideration , I am highly inclined towards John Molson . Please guide me about John Molson . Is it worth doing an MBA from this place ? My aim is to settle in
Canada, work in pharma industry ( 1st preference ) & earn handsomely . I know that it is not a top tier B-school of Canada but my financial circumstances coupled with low risk taking capability are big deterrents in the way of an MBA from top B-schools . Please help me resolve this "great dilemma". Warm regards !
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2013, 02:40
We Canadians are very lucky to have 6 really good business schools. I don't think its fair to rank them, they're all on par with one another IMO. Schulich, Ivey, Rotman, Sauder, Queen's or Desautels are all very good academically. That being said, it is important to choose a school that's in line with your future goals. I chose McGill because I intend to move around within Canada and internationally after my MBA and McGill's name resonates all over the world. For people who want to work in Ontario, Schulich/Queen's/Rotman/Ivey might be more appealing while Sauder might be more appealing for people who want to work in western Canada. It is natural for the majority of graduates of a certain school to land a job in the same province as the school they attended. I think it really comes down to where you want to work and what are your future goals.

Bottom line - you can't go wrong with any of these schools and congrats to all recent admits !
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2013, 16:34
Apart from the different salary ranges for each business school in Canada , What is the expected average salary for an Assistant Training Manager in Canada ? I could not find even rough figures for this title all data available online is for more senior titles .

Thank you all in advance :)

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2013, 07:10
CarlMtl wrote:
TheNona wrote:
Apart from the different salary ranges for each business school in Canada , What is the expected average salary for an Assistant Training Manager in Canada ? I could not find even rough figures for this title all data available online is for more senior titles .

Thank you all in advance :)

Hmmm... how can I answer this politely. Based on the fact that we don`t know what industry, department, function or role you`re talking about, I would say that the average salary for an "assistant training manager" in Canada would probably be $34,732 with no bonus and a terrible cubicle.

:-D :-D OK I got your message dear Carl ... in fact I meant sales training in pharma industry . All the available data is for the senior titles but not for middle managers :)

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2013, 08:46
TheNona wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:
Hmmm... how can I answer this politely. Based on the fact that we don`t know what industry, department, function or role you`re talking about, I would say that the average salary for an "assistant training manager" in Canada would probably be $34,732 with no bonus and a terrible cubicle.
:-D :-D OK I got your message dear Carl ... in fact I meant sales training in pharma industry . All the available data is for the senior titles but not for middle managers :)
Honestly, Nona, I have no idea. I doubt anyone on this forum would either. That is a very, very specific role you`re looking to find a job in. If I had to guess, I would expect around the $80k mark, depending on your experience and your ability to sell yourself (I could be out in left field completely). That being said, I think it`s important that you consider broadening your horizons and open up to other potential roles if you want to extract maximum value out of your MBA.
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2013, 09:49
maroliv12 wrote:
All I really have to say is that Schulich offered acceptances WITHOUT interviews in many cases.

This is indeed a bit difficult to understand.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2013, 06:06
What about Asper , Manitoba ? how reputable it is ? a friend of mine is seriously considering to have her MBA there since it is very affordable for international students .. but she could not find any rankings for it ? Any body here has an idea ? thanks in advance :)

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2013, 06:09
TheNona wrote:
What about Asper , Manitoba ? how reputable it is ? a friend of mine is seriously considering to have her MBA there since it is very affordable for international students .. but she could not find any rankings for it ? Any body here has an idea ? thanks in advance :)

http://list.canadianbusiness.com/rankin ... d1=a&sc1=0

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2013, 13:57
CarlMtl wrote:
TheNona wrote:

http://list.canadianbusiness.com/rankin ... d1=a&sc1=0

A hero as usual , dear Carl :) Please allow me one more question : is it a regional - scoped school ? I mean , have you ever saw Asper MBA holders in Montreal or Toronto throughout your working experience ?

Thanks a million :)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2013, 02:27
Hi,

I'm interested in Oil & Gas and so quite interested to do my MBA in the energy specialisation at University of Alberta or University of Calgary. But the thing is I don't have experience in this sector so wanted to know how would possible recruiters view me for hiring post the MBA.

Also I've read somewhere that, in Canada recruiters view lack of canadian work ex as having no experience at all, is it true?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2013, 08:47
rajnikhil wrote:
Hi,

I'm interested in Oil & Gas and so quite interested to do my MBA in the energy specialisation at University of Alberta or University of Calgary. But the thing is I don't have experience in this sector so wanted to know how would possible recruiters view me for hiring post the MBA.

Also I've read somewhere that, in Canada recruiters view lack of canadian work ex as having no experience at all, is it true?
Rajnikhil, what is your work experience? Be specific.
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2013, 22:37
I have 55 months of exp. I have about one and a half years of exp in Logistics which is also my current job. Prior to that I used to work in an internet giant company where I used to handle a team of about 40+ people.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Best business schools in Canada   [#permalink] 30 May 2013, 22:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 78 posts ] 

Best business schools in Canada

new topic post reply Update application status