GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2019, 18:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Best business schools in Canada

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 123
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2013, 20:16
3
Hi there ladies and gents,

I want your opinion on what the top 5 business schools in Canada are. I know every publication ranks them differently, but what are your thoughts?

Based on my research and obvious bias, I would say the following:
1. Desautels
2. Rotman
3. Schulich
4. Ivey
5. Sauder

Let the battle begin!
_________________
Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Posts: 58
Location: United States
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2013, 09:55
4
It's also a numbers game. Generally, top US b-schools place very heavily into high finance and consulting. The best Canadian schools will place only the top quartile of the class (at most) into such fields. Also, the number is skewed by the much lower signing bonus that Canadians get at banks. My brother got a 50k signing bonus. My friend at RBC got a 10 or 15k signing bonus. All in, the final take home comp in banking/s&t is about 10-20% less than New York but cost of living is somewhat less. Also, while people in Canada complain bitterly about income tax, at the highest brackets, NY and Toronto residents are taxed similarly. Finally, Canada is a more relaxed environment to work in, and is generally safer and more secure to live in; the former is represented by the comparative lack of 'innovation' (risk) in their financial markets, but the upshot is a more stable work environment and economy. As ever, it comes down to risk/reward.

mistablair wrote:
Hey,

What is everyone's thoughts on the lower salaries in Canada vs the US? You need to drop quite a bit in the US rankings to find schools with the same lower salaries as Canada. I am worried about risking a salary that is close to the average at Rotman/McGill/Ivey only to end up in a different job with the same salary. I am not planning on going to school just for a salary bump, but it is definitely a factor to consider when you are playing $100k to go to school.

Are salaries just lower in Canada, or are there just a lot of MBA students who are taking jobs in lower salary fields?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 123
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2013, 09:10
3
westsidah408 wrote:
When considering Sauder one of the people I spoke to was a Director at McKinsey's Calgary office who recruits at Sauder. His perception of Sauder was much higher than what you say. McKinsey's Calgary office hires from Sauder, as well as other top b-schools in Canada and the US. Perhaps it is due to the heavy marketing as you mentioned.

To the OP: I think for MC in Calgary, you'll be fine at Sauder or Rotman. That said, if you want to be in Toronto, even though Sauder does place at MC in Toronto, you would do better to go with Ivey or Rotman.


Westsidah, Maroliv, jxcho,

You've all made great points, and I have to agree with most of them. I believe that you need to choose an MBA program based on three factors:
1) Industry you want to work in (IB, VC, PE or MC or corporate/managerial roles)
2) City you want to work in (Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, Int'l)
3) Are you a career switcher or not? (i.e. 2 yr program vs 1 yr)

More and more, I believe that the student can define where he/she wants to work and what he/she wants to work in independent of the school he/she attends. If you have the balls to cold call enough well placed individuals in the industry, you'll get the interview and it won't matter which of the big 6 MBA schools in Canada you attended. That being said, you can most definitely increase your odds by being at the right school.

I would have been admitted to any school in Canada had I applied (GMAT, GPA, age, military exp, professional exp and extra curriculars are all good). My personal decision to attend McGill/Desautels full time 2yr MBA (double concentration finance and strategy) was made because:
1) I`m aiming to work in Management consulting. (I want to work in MC because I plan to interface the hell out of clients, make a ton of connections, and gain transitional freedom five years into my career. i.e. I don`t want to burn out in IB two years in and have nowhere to go.)
2) I want to live in Montreal long term, if possible.
3) I am a career switcher (my work experience is retail/private banking and industrial engineering/construction).
4) I also feel the brand name of McGill will be able to weather the inevitable highs and lows every MBA program will suffer at the hands of the many annual rankings out there. Industry doesn`t care about rankings.

I think we're lucky to live in Canada. We've got several good schools to choose from, and once you know where your ambitions lie, it's quite easy to choose the right program for you.
_________________
Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2011
Posts: 137
Location: Canada
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Education)
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2013, 09:27
3
Since the topic of Schulich came up, I’ll chime in with my experiences and observation as a Schulich student taking both part time and full time courses. Student quality here is good, very diverse and international. Schulich GMAT and GPA for admission stack up favourably against any Canadian school. Unfortunately, there are segments of the public that perpetuate myths about Schulich students being unable to speak English then point to our large international student population as the culprit. This is very ignorant. If we can't speak English, how would we then fare on the GMAT and various other English tests? In an increasingly global world, it is actually a benefit to have classmates that bring experiences from all corners of the earth, than a homogenous native student population. A bit of logic will easily disprove these libelous claims.

With that being said, there is a huge spread in terms of student quality. While you’ll find the truly elites here, Schlich also have their fair share of weak students. This is echoed in teaching quality as well. Some instructors are amazing, while others are just down right garbage. Overall though, I would consider both to be decent and in line with expectation.

The last point I want to make concern Bay Street hiring. Everyone brings anecdotal evidences and I too have plenty to support Schulich but anecdotal evidences are not that useful, it is far better to deal in facts and one of the facts I would like to bring up is in regard to the Canadian banks. Of the 5 major banks, 3 of the CEOs have MBA and 2 of those are from Schulich: Bharat Masrani, incoming CEO of TD bank and Richard E. Waugh, CEO of Scotiabank. That’s 66.7% of all Banks CEOs with MBAs. Not too shabby for a school that supposedly placed poorly on Bay Street.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Schools: LBS MIF '15 (A)
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2013, 10:30
3
CarlMtl wrote:
blah23 wrote:
As a somebody who currently works in MC in Calgary and looking to go for a Canadian MBA I'll give my thoughts and thoughts of others I've talked to while doing my research on schools.

1 - Alberta schools are not viewed to be impressive, I would not suggest these schools for MC or high finance. We do have a few local MBA grads in our group, but I would say they are the exception over the rule. After talking with people in finance, mostly PE, they have all recommended not doing a western Canada MBA.

2 - If you are looking to break into O&G, an Albertan based MBA could suit your needs. I think it could probably get you into areas like supply chain, logistics and other functions without too much strain at large O&G producers

3 - Ivey, U of T and Queens are generally viewed as the better schools here. I don't hear Sauder mentioned much at all, so I'm not sure and how it fits in but I haven't seen too many grads from the MBA program (if any?)

4 - U of T does not have a network out here, I imagine there are a few people but I cannot name one. So expect a much weaker network

5 - Ivey and Queens have the best networks in Calgary and are more respected, although I think Queens may get this reputation from having a strong undergrad program

6 - Our MC (Canada wide) practice took on 2 MBA interns this year, 1 from McGill and 1 from Booth. So no U of T MBAs got summer gigs with us and of course none from the 1 year programs


Blah23,

I recently wrote an article on the subject, take a look and let me know what you think
Cheers,

Carl


The article looks pretty good, I've thrown together a quick process flow of showing where the schools strengths are. I think if you are set on GTA you have a number of options, but outside of GTA you either need to go to a school with a strong brand/network or one that places very well in your region/industry. I will admit I'm not as familiar with McGill or Sauder relative to the other programs
Attachments

Canadian MBA.jpg
Canadian MBA.jpg [ 88.78 KiB | Viewed 4778 times ]

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2011
Posts: 99
Location: Canada
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2013, 14:28
2
1
deadlycat wrote:
LOL, this is a topic that comes up with regularity and it is a testament to the strong educational system in Canada that we have so many good Universities. Personally I prefer the poets and quants rankings that amalgamate all the major ranking together to smooths out the irregularities.

1. Schulich
2. Desautels
3. Sauder
4. Rotman
5. Ivey

http://poetsandquants.com/2012/12/18/po ... of-2012/4/


To DC's point - the education system in Canada works out so that the different between 1 through 5 is a LOT smaller than the rankings would imply.

I've got a high Toronto bias - but If I were to rank it'd go.
1) Ivey: Passionate and highly active alumni base (especially in Toronto) who are outstanding at marketing the program. The only reason I say that Ivey is the strongest is because they place well - but many grads go back to their pre-MBA companies at advanced roles. General sentiment about the program from the non-MBA community colleagues I've met: best program for consulting/ibanking, case-method only. Probably best for career changers.

2) Rotman: Benefits immensely from its location in Toronto. Arguably best corporate recruitment partners and maintains a very large applicant pool. Has the highest average GMAT and enrols the most 700+ scorers (Don't want to get into a discussion about the average GMAT as a measure of quality - but I think its definitely one data point. Rotman may over-emphasize GMAT compared to other programs though). Very large and diverse class - the strongest MBA grads I know personally are Rotman alums, but so are the weakest ones I know. General sentiment from non-MBA community: best finance program in the country, great academic experience (most rock-star professors). Probably best for finance->MBA->finance crowd.

3) Schulich: Tough to place because there are a few flavours including Accelerated and International. My feeling is that the reason Schulich is ranked so high in most international publications is because of the International MBA program is marketed well. Probably best for industry -> MBA ->same industry crowd.

4) Desautels: Again tough to place because there are so few grads in my network here in Toronto (none in fact). But I'd imagine in Montreal its what (Ivey + Rotman) are. McGill is arguably best internationally known Canadian school as far as research goes- so there is definitely a strong brand.

5) Queens: Like McGill - Queens is one of the most internationally well known schools in the country. Many career switchers end up at Queens even though its a 1-year program. For career placements I think Queens probably deserves to be at the top of this list - but my feel is the class is small and doesn't have a strong/vocal an alumni base as some of the other schools. Apparently great for MBAs transitioning into high tech.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 123
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2013, 14:07
2
1
mistablair wrote:
Hmm. Those are some interesting ideas.
I do see that McGill and Rotman compare similarly to some of the lower down schools such as Mendoza and Marshall at 85-90k. Perhaps, Canada isn't that far behind. I'm not sure how comparable McGill's report is to Rotman's. McGill's seems to have a low survey response rate and also seems to be taken after more time has passed. I would like to see the standard deviation/breakdown of the salaries at each of the schools to see how clustered they are (are a few outliers inflating the numbers?).

I too would like to see those breakdowns, I'm a little hesitant to believe information that could so easily be manipulated, especially since every publication has different average starting salaries for McGill...
mistablair wrote:
The ROI in terms of salary increase doesn't really mean much to me. The majority of those people must be earning about $40K a year before hand or come from countries that have much lower costs of living when converted to CAD is much less. Salary increase is a very individual thing and does not really have much to do with the school and is too easy to manipulate. To an earlier post, it does appear that signing bonuses are much rarer in Canada and for much smaller amounts. The salaries may be similar but lump sum payments are nothing to scoff at with big student loans to pay off.
Absolutely!
mistablair wrote:
Looking at Rotman, for example, it seems to have most of the same big recruiters that top US MBA schools get. That would appear to imply that they pay less and/or hire less people.
I concluded the same thing with McGill. I guess the goal is to be in the top 25% of your class. I will be networking the hell out of every avenue beginning day 1 (in fact, I've already started with linkedin).
mistablair wrote:
Salary isn't my biggest concern. I want to go to school so that I can learn the tools and meet the people that can foster opportunities to make a difference and make meaningful decisions. I'm sure that any of the top few schools in Canada can do that for me. Plus it eliminates the hassle of moving to the USA and worrying about getting a job down there and somehow getting a work visa for my wife.
Completely agree! I for one am proud to be Canadian and choose to support a Canadian institution. Not to mention that our MBAs cost a fraction of what the American ones do.
_________________
Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 123
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2013, 06:32
2
TheNona wrote:
Apart from the different salary ranges for each business school in Canada , What is the expected average salary for an Assistant Training Manager in Canada ? I could not find even rough figures for this title all data available online is for more senior titles .

Thank you all in advance :)


Hmmm... how can I answer this politely. Based on the fact that we don`t know what industry, department, function or role you`re talking about, I would say that the average salary for an "assistant training manager" in Canada would probably be $34,732 with no bonus and a terrible cubicle.
_________________
Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2011
Posts: 137
Location: Canada
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Education)
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2013, 08:06
1
1
LOL, this is a topic that comes up with regularity and it is a testament to the strong educational system in Canada that we have so many good Universities. Personally I prefer the poets and quants rankings that amalgamate all the major ranking together to smooths out the irregularities.

1. Schulich
2. Desautels
3. Sauder
4. Rotman
5. Ivey

http://poetsandquants.com/2012/12/18/po ... of-2012/4/
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Posts: 176
Location: Thailand
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2013, 20:37
1
I'm not sure I completely agree with that.

Coming from Asia, none of the MBA programs from Canadian institutions are particularly well known. That said, U of Toronto, McGill and UBC are the most well-known university brands here. Rotman is definitely getting more traction as an MBA brand, and like you mentioned, the sentiment seems to be that it is best for finance.

After doing my own research, I opted to apply for Sauder because it places well in both Toronto and Vancouver/Calgary, has a good international focus, good brand (UBC) overseas... among other reasons.

I always say that "best" is a term that is very relative to the applicant. Each person wants different things and each program will appeal to each person differently. It's up to everyone to find their own "sweet spot" MBA program.

canadianchamp wrote:
deadlycat wrote:
LOL, this is a topic that comes up with regularity and it is a testament to the strong educational system in Canada that we have so many good Universities. Personally I prefer the poets and quants rankings that amalgamate all the major ranking together to smooths out the irregularities.

1. Schulich
2. Desautels
3. Sauder
4. Rotman
5. Ivey

http://poetsandquants.com/2012/12/18/po ... of-2012/4/


To DC's point - the education system in Canada works out so that the different between 1 through 5 is a LOT smaller than the rankings would imply.

I've got a high Toronto bias - but If I were to rank it'd go.
1) Ivey: Passionate and highly active alumni base (especially in Toronto) who are outstanding at marketing the program. The only reason I say that Ivey is the strongest is because they place well - but many grads go back to their pre-MBA companies at advanced roles. General sentiment about the program from the non-MBA community colleagues I've met: best program for consulting/ibanking, case-method only. Probably best for career changers.

2) Rotman: Benefits immensely from its location in Toronto. Arguably best corporate recruitment partners and maintains a very large applicant pool. Has the highest average GMAT and enrols the most 700+ scorers (Don't want to get into a discussion about the average GMAT as a measure of quality - but I think its definitely one data point. Rotman may over-emphasize GMAT compared to other programs though). Very large and diverse class - the strongest MBA grads I know personally are Rotman alums, but so are the weakest ones I know. General sentiment from non-MBA community: best finance program in the country, great academic experience (most rock-star professors). Probably best for finance->MBA->finance crowd.

3) Schulich: Tough to place because there are a few flavours including Accelerated and International. My feeling is that the reason Schulich is ranked so high in most international publications is because of the International MBA program is marketed well. Probably best for industry -> MBA ->same industry crowd.

4) Desautels: Again tough to place because there are so few grads in my network here in Toronto (none in fact). But I'd imagine in Montreal its what (Ivey + Rotman) are. McGill is arguably best internationally known Canadian school as far as research goes- so there is definitely a strong brand.

5) Queens: Like McGill - Queens is one of the most internationally well known schools in the country. Many career switchers end up at Queens even though its a 1-year program. For career placements I think Queens probably deserves to be at the top of this list - but my feel is the class is small and doesn't have a strong/vocal an alumni base as some of the other schools. Apparently great for MBAs transitioning into high tech.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Posts: 176
Location: Thailand
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2013, 00:06
1
jxcho wrote:
westsidah408 wrote:
I would say that if you are planning to work in MC or finance in Toronto, you will probably be okay (but will also be facing competition from peers for the same positions). Other than that, consider where you want to end up. If it's Calgary/BC, Sauder might be a better option. If it's Montreal, consider Desautels.

I would also suggest that don't go solely by what the rankings publications say. They are fairly unreliable. Consider the experience of students/alums with similar goals, and importantly, recruiters in your preferred location/industry.

Having lived in Calgary before, I noticed Sauder's stepped up its marketing in Alberta in recent years but I think Rotman/Ivey and even Desautels (purely for the McGill name) have more recognition both in and outside the business community. Calgary's one of those new money places with relatively low regard for education and the lack of respect for UBC around those parts is rather shocking, considering UBC is generally respected even out East. Rotman is probably the safest bet in the Prairie provinces because of its sheer size and the UT brand. (Obviously Haskayne, Alberta, Edwards, etc. will be strongest in their local markets)


When considering Sauder one of the people I spoke to was a Director at McKinsey's Calgary office who recruits at Sauder. His perception of Sauder was much higher than what you say. McKinsey's Calgary office hires from Sauder, as well as other top b-schools in Canada and the US. Perhaps it is due to the heavy marketing as you mentioned.

To the OP: I think for MC in Calgary, you'll be fine at Sauder or Rotman. That said, if you want to be in Toronto, even though Sauder does place at MC in Toronto, you would do better to go with Ivey or Rotman.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 123
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2013, 18:41
1
mistablair wrote:
Hey,

What is everyone's thoughts on the lower salaries in Canada vs the US? You need to drop quite a bit in the US rankings to find schools with the same lower salaries as Canada. I am worried about risking a salary that is close to the average at Rotman/McGill/Ivey only to end up in a different job with the same salary. I am not planning on going to school just for a salary bump, but it is definitely a factor to consider when you are playing $100k to go to school.

Are salaries just lower in Canada, or are there just a lot of MBA students who are taking jobs in lower salary fields?


mistablair,

This may surprise you, but Canadian MBA grads do not actually make less than US MBA grads. The reason why you are seeing a difference is because you are comparing the top 6 schools in Canada to the top schools in the US. The reality is that they are in completely different leagues. Try comparing the top 6 biz schools in Canada to the tier 2 schools in the US. It's a hard pill for us Canadians to swallow, but you'll see that salaries are actually quite close to par.

Take a look at this link from the McGill Desautels program:
http://www.mcgill.ca/desautels/programs ... ment-stats

The salary bump/ROI is a huge factor when contemplating an MBA, but there are no guarantees. At some point, you need to take the leap of faith. An MBA alone won't guarantee you that top salary, however it will help you get your foot in the door to the right companies. The top candidates coming into the program are almost always the top candidates leaving the program, so keep in mind how you want to leverage your current work experience in order to snag that great position post MBA.
_________________
Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 123
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2013, 06:43
1
There are also less MC, IB and trading positions in Canada. Those jobs tend to inflate avg MBA grad salaries.
_________________
Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 123
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2013, 05:55
1
d55 wrote:
maroliv12 wrote:
Interesting perspective. I only ever applied to Ivey in Canada... and was told to only apply to Ivey by someone in the industry. I would've preferred that it were a two-year program but hey. On the street there's only Ivey and Rotman. Nothing else comes close for recruiting for finance and consulting. Rotman has definitely done some amazing things in the past few years and have done really well for themselves. Ivey is the most historic brand for MBA's but their one-year program has drawbacks for career-switchers. As such, the students that attend are mostly looking to return to the same industry. The amount of people I know who have attended Schulich and regretted it are immense. The school is an ESL-fest. Rotman is in danger of going down this path as well. In their recent attempt to match Ivey's incoming student stats, which used to be the highest by a considerable margin, they've started admitting a LOT of internationals who have killer GMAT's and GPA's but aren't quite nuanced in their communication ability yet.

I think it's sort of sad that you have to lie about other schools in order to build up your own.
I'm a Schulich MBA, and haven't regretted it at all. You self defeat your own argument when you say Schulich is an ESL fest, then go on about international students who can't communicate but have killer GMATS. Um, isn't the purpose of the GMAT verbal to test english and communication skills? I mean really! You can't get out of a high school without speaking english in Ontario, let alone a top MBA program. Another common hoax that people like you like to spread is that you will get robbed, raped, murdered, or disemboweled if you come within half a mile of York. That's all over forums like this so let me answer that one. 80,000 people come to York every day, and come home in one piece. I'm not going to put down
Ivey. I got in there and it's a good program, but Schulich was a better choice for me. At least I don't go around slandering other school now I'm out.


Boys! Boys! Calm the hell down. The point here is to bring different perspectives to the table, and that's exactly what we're accomplishing, let's just be a little more diplomatic about how we go about it. d55, could you tell us what you like most about Schulich's program? I know they rank very well in the Economist's rankings.

Maroliv12, what's the % of domestic vs international students at Ivey? How do you think that affects job placements? You also mentioned:

"I believe Mcgill includes guaranteed compensation into salary, which skews the numbers a bit...."

What do you mean by that? What does guaranteed compensation mean?
_________________
Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Posts: 58
Location: United States
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2013, 18:47
1
Hey Carl,
Ivey program management said this year that they have to increase the number of international students they take because it sits around 30%. Don't get me wrong, having too few is a problem too. I should actually reword what I said about guaranteed compensation. From what I understand based on the report here, they lump signing bonus in with year-end bonuses.

http://www.mcgill.ca/desautels/programs ... ment-stats

Whereas other schools only used guaranteed compensation to report salaries. Given that discretionary bonuses are pretty significant, that's what I meant by the numbers being skewed. Not that it would appear to make much difference. Every decent MBA school is within 10k of each other.


Also regarding the fact that Schulich has a high amount of banking CEO's. I think that's good for the schools reputation and contributes to visibility. Let's leave Ivey aside for a minute and compare placings between the school that places best into finance, which lately is Rotman, versus Schulich.

http://www.schulich.yorku.ca/client/sch ... Survey.pdf

vs

http://mbaschoolprofile.topmba.com/uplo ... Report.pdf

In every capital markets function, Rotman pretty much doubles the percentage placement that Schulich has. Now you may very well say that's because not as many students in Schulich are as interested in banking and I would actually agree with you. The same applies to Ivey, we had maybe 20% of the entire class who wanted capital markets vs probably 50% or more at Rotman. All the same, at the end of the day, Rotman places better into finance and is a finance school.


I personally went to Ivey instead of Rotman for finance as I felt I had enough of a finance background (consumer credit risk modelling for JPMChase) to make the capital markets jump and luckily it worked out. Ivey's finance placements have significantly declined though as it's switched to a 1 year program because half the finance jobs go to interns and you can't intern at Ivey. That said, if you're already in capital markets and want to move up, it's a great place to be. We had kids from hedge funds, s&t etc etc, and they all got placed very well.

Also would like to add that for someone like Carl, who wants to work in Montreal, Mcgill is a better choice as they place significantly better there.
CarlMtl wrote:
d55 wrote:
maroliv12 wrote:
Interesting perspective. I only ever applied to Ivey in Canada... and was told to only apply to Ivey by someone in the industry. I would've preferred that it were a two-year program but hey. On the street there's only Ivey and Rotman. Nothing else comes close for recruiting for finance and consulting. Rotman has definitely done some amazing things in the past few years and have done really well for themselves. Ivey is the most historic brand for MBA's but their one-year program has drawbacks for career-switchers. As such, the students that attend are mostly looking to return to the same industry. The amount of people I know who have attended Schulich and regretted it are immense. The school is an ESL-fest. Rotman is in danger of going down this path as well. In their recent attempt to match Ivey's incoming student stats, which used to be the highest by a considerable margin, they've started admitting a LOT of internationals who have killer GMAT's and GPA's but aren't quite nuanced in their communication ability yet.

I think it's sort of sad that you have to lie about other schools in order to build up your own.
I'm a Schulich MBA, and haven't regretted it at all. You self defeat your own argument when you say Schulich is an ESL fest, then go on about international students who can't communicate but have killer GMATS. Um, isn't the purpose of the GMAT verbal to test english and communication skills? I mean really! You can't get out of a high school without speaking english in Ontario, let alone a top MBA program. Another common hoax that people like you like to spread is that you will get robbed, raped, murdered, or disemboweled if you come within half a mile of York. That's all over forums like this so let me answer that one. 80,000 people come to York every day, and come home in one piece. I'm not going to put down
Ivey. I got in there and it's a good program, but Schulich was a better choice for me. At least I don't go around slandering other school now I'm out.


Boys! Boys! Calm the hell down. The point here is to bring different perspectives to the table, and that's exactly what we're accomplishing, let's just be a little more diplomatic about how we go about it. d55, could you tell us what you like most about Schulich's program? I know they rank very well in the Economist's rankings.

Maroliv12, what's the % of domestic vs international students at Ivey? How do you think that affects job placements? You also mentioned:

"I believe Mcgill includes guaranteed compensation into salary, which skews the numbers a bit...."

What do you mean by that? What does guaranteed compensation mean?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 123
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2013, 08:15
1
temuod wrote:
We Canadians are very lucky to have 6 really good business schools. I don't think its fair to rank them, they're all on par with one another IMO. Schulich, Ivey, Rotman, Sauder, Queen's or Desautels are all very good academically. That being said, it is important to choose a school that's in line with your future goals. I chose McGill because I intend to move around within Canada and internationally after my MBA and McGill's name resonates all over the world. For people who want to work in Ontario, Schulich/Queen's/Rotman/Ivey might be more appealing while Sauder might be more appealing for people who want to work in western Canada. It is natural for the majority of graduates of a certain school to land a job in the same province as the school they attended. I think it really comes down to where you want to work and what are your future goals.

Bottom line - you can't go wrong with any of these schools and congrats to all recent admits !

You`re right on the money, Temuod!
_________________
Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2013, 09:52
1
CarlMtl wrote:
I would say that the average salary for an "assistant training manager" in Canada would probably be $34,732 with no bonus and a terrible cubicle.


Dude. You owe me a new keyboard. I spit coffee all over it!!!! LOL.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 123
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2013, 10:20
1
Ducksworth wrote:
maroliv12 wrote:
All I really have to say is that Schulich offered acceptances WITHOUT interviews in many cases.


This is indeed a bit difficult to understand.

I heard Concordia did just that this semester as well... what a terrible way to manage an MBA program.

Ducksworth, next time you`ll know to swallow your gulp before reading my posts. ;)
_________________
Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Posts: 58
Location: United States
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2013, 15:41
1
TheNona wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:
TheNona wrote:
Apart from the different salary ranges for each business school in Canada , What is the expected average salary for an Assistant Training Manager in Canada ? I could not find even rough figures for this title all data available online is for more senior titles .

Thank you all in advance :)


Hmmm... how can I answer this politely. Based on the fact that we don`t know what industry, department, function or role you`re talking about, I would say that the average salary for an "assistant training manager" in Canada would probably be $34,732 with no bonus and a terrible cubicle.

:-D :-D OK I got your message dear Carl ... in fact I meant sales training in pharma industry . All the available data is for the senior titles but not for middle managers :)


I don't think trying to find out what a middle manager in a sales training role in pharma is making is exactly aligned with what most people in this forum know. You're best off asking.....someone who's in middle management in a sales role in the pharma industry. Good luck with your MBA and search...
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 123
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Best business schools in Canada  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2013, 06:26
1
TheNona wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:
TheNona wrote:
What about Asper , Manitoba ? how reputable it is ? a friend of mine is seriously considering to have her MBA there since it is very affordable for international students .. but she could not find any rankings for it ? Any body here has an idea ? thanks in advance :)

http://list.canadianbusiness.com/rankin ... d1=a&sc1=0


A hero as usual , dear Carl :) Please allow me one more question : is it a regional - scoped school ? I mean , have you ever saw Asper MBA holders in Montreal or Toronto throughout your working experience ?

Thanks a million :)

Honestly, I had no idea the school even existed before you mentioned it on this forum.
_________________
Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Best business schools in Canada   [#permalink] 28 May 2013, 06:26

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 78 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Best business schools in Canada

  new topic post reply Update application status  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne